Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Typical Issues with evos....?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical Issues with evos....?

Hey everyone, Im new here, well not new, been browsing the site for a few months but havn't posted at all really.

I was thinking of selling my lowmile 94 cobra and saving some cash till the late spring early summer when I finish college to get an evo. I love these cars, the looks, the power, the suspension, everything. I am just unfamilar about them and I would like to know what the typical issues of these cars are. How reliable are they for daily driving whether it is stock or mildly modified. Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I drive mine to work everyday since 2003.
Jsut to warn you that the power devilery of both cars are extremely different, especially from a stock setup.
Best thing for you to do is to ride in a stock car. Then ask to ride in a car that is somewhat modified to the power level you want.
Mine is slightly modified (still stock turbo and basically stock engine, minus cams, plus methanol) and I don't have problem beating a Terminator from a dig.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do not get an '03 Evo. I 've had countless problems with mine. Go for an '05, they have less problems, slightly bigger turbine housing on the turbo(more power), and less issues with the stock clutch.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I drive mine to work everyday since 2003.
Jsut to warn you that the power devilery of both cars are extremely different, especially from a stock setup.
Best thing for you to do is to ride in a stock car. Then ask to ride in a car that is somewhat modified to the power level you want.
Mine is slightly modified (still stock turbo and basically stock engine, minus cams, plus methanol) and I don't have problem beating a Terminator from a dig.
+1, you get into a whole new world of traction that will not only be available at the track, but on the street as well, in all weather conditions.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
+1, you get into a whole new world of traction that will not only be available at the track, but on the street as well, in all weather conditions.

Thats what I am looking for. The performance asspect that you get with a high powered car like a v8 and then the saftey in bad weather conditions of the 4X4 with the awd asspect. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I guess I could probally save close to 8-10K by the end of next semester. Then finance the rest.

What about an 04 how are they as far as issues...seems like the 03 is out
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nothing wrong with the 03's.
clutches remain the same...depends on whose driving.
I drive everyday to work too...never gets old
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 - 06 Evos are known far and wide for having the "honda-rev" problem. At any time in city traffic or on the highway, fart-can hondas will roll up next to you and rev uncontrollably. No fix has been discovered. No legal ones anyway.

Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoPride
Thats what I am looking for. The performance asspect that you get with a high powered car like a v8 and then the saftey in bad weather conditions of the 4X4 with the awd asspect. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I guess I could probally save close to 8-10K by the end of next semester. Then finance the rest.

What about an 04 how are they as far as issues...seems like the 03 is out
The 04s have less issues that I've seen, My power steering went out with only 10k miles followed by at least a dozen more major problems and I rarely beat on my car but I honestly think mine was just a poorly made car. I would save some extra money and get an '05.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san
03 - 06 Evos are known far and wide for having the "honda-rev" problem. At any time in city traffic or on the highway, fart-can hondas will roll up next to you and rev uncontrollably. No fix has been discovered. No legal ones anyway.

lol tis true daniel son
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, going the other way or at a stop in the turning lane. You can easily dispose of 99% of them. The ones that can beat you will will be more subtle.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

HAHA.. yea this happens on a daily basis for some (like myself). I ususally just smile at them though and wave my finger "no" at them. I dont give them the time of day in a speed contest though its not worth it.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the most common problems with Evos:
- Too many Evo owners are ricers who came from the Honda JDM world
- Too many Evo owners don't read the rules of the site before posting, which leads to...
- Too many of them don't bother to search before posting, which causes...
- Too many of them post threads asking questions that have been asked 1000 times

It's best to get an 06 even if used. Next best would be an 05. After that, you're pushing your luck with an 03 or 04. Getting one of those 2+ years used is a crapshoot.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Nov 7, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Some of the most common problems with Evos:
- Too many Evo owners are ricers who came from the Honda JDM world
- Too many Evo owners don't read the rules of the site before posting, which leads to...
- Too many of them don't bother to search before posting, which causes...
- Too many of them post threads asking questions that have been asked 1000 times

It's best to get an 06 even if used. Next best would be an 05. After that, you're pushing your luck with an 03 or 04. Getting one of those 2+ years used is a crapshoot.

what the point of a forum is all your going to say is use the search? why no you just write up a huge faq sheet and just shut down the forum and then post the faq on the main page?

forum is for disucssion just like in a bar or at the track strip. do you hear a question there thats been answerd by you to someone else? do you tell them to go use the search button?

if you see a question being asked that you seen answerd. move on or answer it dont be an *** and up your post count by saying " use the serach button."

either be helpful or ignore the post or move on.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was helpful, but interestingly, you were not. You completely ignored the OP's question and only focused on what I said, yet you tell ME to ignore such posts and move on? Kinda ironic, huh? You didn't even bother to answer his question.

Anyway, there is no search button at a bar or "track strip," so I have no idea what you're trying to say. The forum is for discussion, but not for discussion of things that have already been talked about 1000000 times. Plus, it's a rule...are you telling the moderators that their rules are meaningless? That wouldn't be too smart. What you're supposed to do is search FIRST, then post. I didn't say to search and then never post. AFter searching and reading all the previous discussions on a topic, you then formulate a question that is more specific, detailed, or that hasn't been answered yet. Does that make sense?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

screw what you heard about the evo being bad, malfunctioning, and what not. this car is awsome. if you treat it right give it its usual maintenance. you'll have no problems.