Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fuel consumption ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PessimiStick
I think you're the one that needs to re-read it.

He said mostly 2k-3k, with 3.5k - 6k from time to time. I think that describes almost everyone that uses their Evo for a DD, as I know I personally can't get on it much on the way to/from work unless I want to put my bumper up someone's tailpipe.
Mine is a DD and it almost never sees less than 3K after warm-up. The car is stock and I get 17-19mpg. I hardly redline at every shift, but I do like to keep the motor in the fun zone. Other Evo owners that I personally know drive the same way. That's why we bought our respective cars. "3.5k - 6k from time to time" is the norm.

If you drive differently, then why buy a car like the Evo that starts to shine at higher revs? That's what makes no sense. There are plenty of other automobiles on the market that make for terrific driving experiences and that are able to perform very well under less imposing conditions. If one buys the Evo solely for the appearance of speed, that technically defines him as a poseur.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Mine is a DD and it almost never sees less than 3K after warm-up. The car is stock and I get 17-19mpg. I hardly redline at every shift, but I do like to keep the motor in the fun zone. Other Evo owners that I personally know drive the same way. That's why we bought our respective cars. "3.5k - 6k from time to time" is the norm.

If you drive differently, then why buy a car like the Evo that starts to shine at higher revs?
Because if I keep it in boost all the time I'm going to hit someone?

We have this little thing called "traffic", and it unfortunately makes me a slave to the accelleration habits of the drivers around me.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Because if I keep it in boost all the time I'm going to hit someone?

We have this little thing called "traffic", and it unfortunately makes me a slave to the accelleration habits of the drivers around me.
You quoted my question:

If you drive differently, then why buy a car like the Evo that starts to shine at higher revs?

Unfortunately, you responded to something other than what was asked. I'd like to read the answer to the question you quoted. BTW, I live in a metro area of 1M; we have traffic, too.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 10, 2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You quoted my question:

Unfortunately, you responded to something other than what was asked. I'd like to read the answer to the question you quoted. BTW, I live in a metro area of 1M; we have traffic, too.
Because he wasn't describing driving differently, nor was I.

You are stressing the notion that he never gets on it, and that isn't at all what he said.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:21 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Because he wasn't describing driving differently, nor was I.

You are stressing the notion that he never gets on it, and that isn't at all what he said.
Please allow me to refresh your recollection. You wrote:

"He said mostly 2k-3k, with 3.5k - 6k from time to time. I think that describes almost everyone that uses their Evo for a DD, as I know I personally can't get on it much on the way to/from work unless I want to put my bumper up someone's tailpipe."

Let's compare it to what you're currently asserting :

"Mine is a DD and it almost never sees less than 3K after warm-up. The car is stock and I get 17-19mpg. I hardly redline at every shift, but I do like to keep the motor in the fun zone. Other Evo owners that I personally know drive the same way. That's why we bought our respective cars. "3.5k - 6k from time to time" is the norm."

Not a lot of similarities there. First you drive at 2-3K with occasional burst to 3.5-6K, and now you almost never dip below 3K and keep the car at 3.5-6K the bulk of the time. I don't want to recap the whole discussion, as I see where this is going. Clearly, you're not going to post a straight-forward reply to the question you, yourself, quoted.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I just got 307miles on a single tank.
I was driving 75-80mph consistantly on the highway.
80% highway and the rest is city.

I had a custom flash this monday from AMS.
Really love the new found HP and torque but the better gas mileage is definitely a plus.

Last edited by 19psi; Nov 10, 2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

well im not stock but i avg about 16 to 19 and 21 is best ive had. mine is a o3 daily driven. i currently not boosting over 14 psi alky pump leaking. but i cant seem to get any betterthan that. i have atp 3071r kit on my car. with a non aggresive tune.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Not a lot of similarities there. First you drive at 2-3K with occasional burst to 3.5-6K, and now you almost never dip below 3K and keep the car at 3.5-6K the bulk of the time. I don't want to recap the whole discussion, as I see where this is going. Clearly, you're not going to post a straight-forward reply to the question you, yourself, quoted.
You don't seem to see the difference between not *wanting* to be above 3k and not being *able* to be above 3k. In a perfect world I'd be in the meat of the powerband at high throttle all the time. In real life, most of the time that isn't an option.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

i get 240- 260 average driving.. prolly 270 to the tank and average 11.90-12 gallons per fill up
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

You don't seem to see the difference between not *wanting* to be above 3k and not being *able* to be above 3k.
Sure I do. I even mentioned having an appropriate vehicle in another post, which you responded to. This brings us back to the initial question.

In a perfect world I'd be in the meat of the powerband at high throttle all the time. In real life, most of the time that isn't an option.
First, you drove at lower revs, then you suddenly changed your outlook and claimed to do the opposite, and now we're back down to low revs again. Brrrrr....

There isn't much of a point in continuing this facet of the discussion.

BTW, I see that you and I have identical cars <grin>.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
..If you drive differently, then why buy a car like the Evo that starts to shine at higher revs? That's what makes no sense. There are plenty of other automobiles on the market that make for terrific driving experiences and that are able to perform very well under less imposing conditions. If one buys the Evo solely for the appearance of speed, that technically defines him as a poseur.
Again, wow... What if I take my wing off. Will that remove the poser status?

Just because someone doesn't drive the car the way YOU think it should be driven, they are a poser? Yes it is a performance car. I do Autocross (not in the Evo yet, still breaking it in). I save the performance driving for the proper venue. When I'm on the street, I get over 270 miles to a tank every time. I'd expect that number to drop severely while autocrossing or drag racing, but I don't think that "track mileage" was what was being asked about.

However, if I bought it and let it sit in the garage all the time, that's still not posing. I saw the car, read about the car, wanted the car, and I bought the effing thing. It's rally derived and I don't EVER plan on taking it off road like that. Do you? If not, you may just be posing right there beside me. Smile for the camera!

Last edited by Shadowpriest; Nov 10, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shadowpriest
Again, wow... What if I take my wing off. Will that remove the poser status?
It seems like your orientation is appearance-driven all around.

Just because someone doesn't drive the car the way YOU think it should be driven, they are a poser?
The Evo has a 7600RPM redline and its engine begins to show itself at +3500RPM. This isn't my opinion; it's the way it is. A poseur drives a car solely for the appearance of speed and habitually running the machine at 2000-3000K is just that.

Yes it is a performance car. I do Autocross (not in the Evo yet, still breaking it in). I save the performance driving for the proper venue. When I'm on the street, I get over 270 miles to a tank every time. I'd expect that number to drop severely while autocrossing or drag racing, but I don't think that "track mileage" was what was being asked about.
So, what?

However, if I bought it and let it sit in the garage all the time, that's still not posing. I saw the car, read about the car, wanted the car, and I bought the effing thing. It's rally derived and I don't EVER plan on taking it off road like that. Do you? If not, you may just be posing right there beside me. Smile for the camera!
I think you've said most everything for me. You seemingly bought the car based on its image, its press, its street cred and whatever else can be found, except for a heightened driving experience. It's no surprise, given your own comments which point to you rarely if ever tapping into the Evo's performance envelope - looking fast, but driving like a senior citizen in a street legal race car.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
It seems like your orientation is appearance-driven all around.

The Evo has a 7600RPM redline and its engine begins to show itself at +3500RPM. This isn't my opinion; it's the way it is. A poseur drives a car solely for the appearance of speed and habitually running the machine at 2000-3000K is just that.

So, what?

I think you've said most everything for me. You seemingly bought the car based on its image, its press, its street cred and whatever else can be found, except for a heightened driving experience. It's no surprise, given your own comments which point to you rarely if ever tapping into the Evo's performance envelope - looking fast, but driving like a senior citizen in a street legal race car.
Yup. I passed on the Caddy to pimp in a Jap car. I thought about leaving it outside a few years without washing it in hopes of ending up on Pimp My Ride if the show exists then.

Bottom line: as smart as you think you are, your antagonistic logic doesn't flow. When you buy my car for me you can tell me how it "should" be driven and stop payment when my driving style on the "skreet" doesn't jive with you. Until then, I make the payments, it will be driven in performance oriented situations that don't involve public streets, and the girlies don't know I'm not Tommi Makinen, so I'm comfortable in my "poser" status. God bless America.

Oh, and I just filled up again tonight. 295 on the odo. Booyashaka!

Last edited by Shadowpriest; Nov 10, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shadowpriest
Bottom line: as smart as you think you are, your antagonistic logic doesn't flow.
How? If you're referring to the monetary argument posted below, then I fail to see its relevance to what was previously said. You can stomp your feet in unison, but it still won't change the fact that your driving practices do not tap the Evo's performance envelope and that you purchased the car for reasons that don't necessarily involve the act of driving. At least you're helping to keep our insurance from rising higher.

When you buy my car for me you can tell me how it "should" be driven and stop payment when my driving style on the "skreet" doesn't jive with you. Until then, I make the payments, it will be driven in performance oriented situations that don't involve public streets, and the girlies don't know I'm not Tommi Makinen, so I'm comfortable in my "poser" status. God bless America.

Oh, and I just filled up again tonight. 295 on the odo. Booyashaka!
Please keep in mind that I didn't point to you as a poseur; you decided to identify with that title all by yourself. At one time, Enzo Ferrari used to personally interview all perspective buyers. Do you think he would have sold you, and your brethren in slothful propulsion, a car?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, give it a rest or take it to PM please. honestly, this thread wasn't started for the bickering..

OP: It will depend a lot on the type of driving you do, where you get your gas, and of course driving habits.

Example: I live in IL, and daily drive 30 miles a day during the week to and from work, local roads, no highway cruising. I average 21.2 mpg as of recently, with no excessive boosting, and I conciously keep the car within the powerband where the most torque is available.

During the racing season I routinely make trips out of state to IN or OH to get to the tracks there, and that is as you can imagine all highway driving. During those out of state trips, I averaged roughly 24mpg, with a high of 26mpg on one tank.