Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can i afford an evo ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp0rk
do it!! i just turned 20 and live at home. i make 2 grand a month after taxes. my evo is 612 amonth and 125 for insurance a month. i fill my gas tank about twice a week. But i still have about 200$ a week of spending money . witch is good enuff for me.

Someday ya gotta move out though... are you waiting till you pay it off?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:13 PM

Dude, is not about you can afford it or not.... you have to really think about this.. you could put yourself in some money issue. i sure there some way you can get a evo, put don't put the price with you own future. i love to see another evo owner, but know what you doing. nice car will be there, invest you money in something better!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Mate, you should also take into consideration the fact that if you damage your EVO and need to fix it, this can be VERY costly!

In addition, probably you will modify it, and probably you will lose the guarranty, and the damages, problems can very very expensive...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you cannot pay it off in 48 months (4 years), you cannot afford the car.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
dude, move out! I'd rather drive a cheaper car and move the heck out! Well, things to consider... gas, and maintaince. Maintaince on an evo is NOT cheap. Like $400 for a pair of brake rotors....
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sp0rk
do it!! i just turned 20 and live at home. i make 2 grand a month after taxes. my evo is 612 amonth and 125 for insurance a month. i fill my gas tank about twice a week. But i still have about 200$ a week of spending money . witch is good enuff for me.
RIGHT ON MAN! Im in the same boat at this fellow

HOORRAYYY FOR BEER
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can buy a used 03 for 18-20k
i'm also looking at buying an evo and i dont want to spend more than 20k.
you dont have to sped 15k more for a new one
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

i get paid 18.24 an hour and by the end of this month hopefully 20.00 right now i make 3200 a month, 38k a year and I just went ahead and bought it, i have about 800 a month after taxes to spend on whatever...

and still live with parents, im 23

and if you really want to spend money, dont be a moron and spent money on a "LEASE" for rent on your apartment, SAVE money while you keep the evo, and soon you will have enough money to put into a home later in the future...

all these guys/gals want to move out and feed "independant" by renting an apartment, that money goes to NOTHING, some people have no choice but if they sure did have the choice, they would definately move back with parents since it saves alot of money, and plus you can help your parents since they have helped YOU.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

yea you can get it.... prob the best t hing you can ever do is get rid of those mustangs! hahaha but im 20 and i got1 and i thnk i make just a lil more thatn u.... ummm if you rele wnat one i would SEARCH for a good used one... if your a hard ***... then you can get a decent price.. best of luck
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

car payment + insurance + gas + maintenance = at least $800 a month (depending on your car down payment). If you earn 2100 before tax, your after tax income is around 1600. You'll be able to afford the car assuming that you do not have any other fixed expenses. But IMO, I don't think that putting half of your monthly pay check into a car is a wise decision.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by crasher
all these guys/gals want to move out and feed "independant" by renting an apartment, that money goes to NOTHING, some people have no choice but if they sure did have the choice, they would definately move back with parents since it saves alot of money, and plus you can help your parents since they have helped YOU.
Well, I had a choice and my choice was to move out! The other option for saving money is to get a cheaper car...... but hey, I like living on my own.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the replys guys! the positives and the negitives.

I am getting a lot of words of wisdom from people who have gone through the same situation that i am in. I see that some of you guys have chose the car and lived at home untill it was payed off. I really dont have a problem living at home (its like 3 min from my work) so that helps. I dont plan on buying a new evo and im in no rush to buy a used. i would def. shop around for the best price.

i think im going to hold off on the evo for now and save my money for a whiile untill i can have some money to my name. I think that would be better to have something then once i have some money saved then look into an evo.

Thanks for helping me make my decision and i will keep you informed if i get an evo.

Keep the rubber side down
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I dont agree with paying it off in 48 months because

1. depending on your APR and how long you plan on keeping the car you're not leveraging your money

2. Not everybody wants the higher payment. I may be able to afford that kind of payment, but don't want to.

Run the numbers make sure that all your liabilities are covered EASILY. Save enough money for rainy days (i.e. maintenance)...Have a couple months of car payments in the bank, CCD debt paid down. And the ability to move out if you have to. If you fit into this template, you can afford it. People are always going to say "save save save" but once you've saved enough money theyre going to say "save save save" again. I wish that I did things earlier in my life (im 25 but still...) and if you're responsible....you should do it
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

I am 19. I saved for a year to come up with 10,000 dollars and waited for the price of evos to come down so i could get one.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostless
I dont agree with paying it off in 48 months because

1. depending on your APR and how long you plan on keeping the car you're not leveraging your money

2. Not everybody wants the higher payment. I may be able to afford that kind of payment, but don't want to.
Its just a guideline.

Quick Reply: can i afford an evo ?