Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can i afford an evo ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i afford an evo ?

hey guys I know your probably sick of all these posts but I got a new job with a little more money coming my way. I will be earning about 2100 a month. I am 18 living at home and no this is not my first car or first stick. I have owned 2 mustang gts. I just don't want to get caught in over my head like I see a lot of people doing. thanks for your time.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are we talking before or after taxes?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

If you have to ask this question the answer is no.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
I agree also. I was going to say if is after taxes, it'll be tough and you'll be SOL if something big goes wrong. If its before taxes you'll be even worse off.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
+1. You took the words right out of my mouth

You planning on living with your parents for the next 5+ years? Take that into consideration before making this decision. I know a guy who is 28 and still lives with his mom because he keeps buying new toys. He has a lot of cool stuff, but it is hard to get laid when you live with your mommy.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

not another one of these threads... just get a calculator out and work the numbers... if you only have enough left at the end of the month to only afford a happy meal, then dont think about getting an evo...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

how about 3200 before taxes
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

18 living at home = no expenses other than the car payment

I was 19-20 and I handled it just fine on a little less than that and had money to get along comfortably and fix a couple problems that did come my way.

I've since sold it. But i had my fun and as long as you dont spend money on stupid things like idiotic mods aka BOVs and intakes you'll be good. However if you plan on going to college....dont do it save your money.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ride927
hey guys I know your probably sick of all these posts but I got a new job with a little more money coming my way. I will be earning about 2100 a month. I am 18 living at home and no this is not my first car or first stick. I have owned 2 mustang gts. I just don't want to get caught in over my head like I see a lot of people doing. thanks for your time.

Go ask Mommy and see what she says.

Seriously though, get your act together and be an adult before you go spend $30k+ on a car.

I'd LOVE to have an Evo but not enough to live with my parents again.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

if you have to ask......
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

You haven't provided enough info--is the car payment going to be the only expense that you're liable for? Mods? CO-signing with your parents? Is your insurance record clean? Are you buying new/used? etc etc etc

My gut intuition says "NO"
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3volut1on
how about 3200 before taxes
How about calculating your own living expenses

Its not hard just guesstimate how much you will spend on insurance, gas, car payment, etc.

Deduct that from your net monthly income then subtract 1000 dollars. If your still above 0 then its possible to survive a couple stupid mistakes and still own the car. If not just wait until you get a pay increase that makes it happen. Or at least save enough to afford a reasonable down payment which will cut your monthly expenses.

BTW if you somehow qualify with this and are under 18 find another car. Wrecking an evo is bad enough but worse when you owe say like 25k on one .

Plus I don't care how good of a driver you are **** happens. If you counting on smooth sailing I suggest alternative methods of reality say video games for example. Make a plan stick to it.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Please... it's GREAT that you can live at home while making a little money. Please... save that money for your near future. Do not spend it on something that will drain it for maintenance and steadily decrease in value. Get yourself situated as an adult FIRST, that is getting into your own home, doing things that will build for your future.

2100 sounds like a lot of money to someone your age, and it kind of is, but this is such a great opportunity for you to start on your future. If you don't HAVE TO spend it on anything, DON'T! I know I sound like an old party pooper, but if you can keep living with your parents for a while, have some fun, and save whatever money you'd spend on Evo + gas + maintenance + inevitable repairs then I guarantee you you'll be able to easily get into your own house and really start to make some money. You'll then be in the position to not have to ask "can I afford it" because you'll already know the answer.

You're lucky to be in the position of making some money without having to spend it to live, and I really think you should take full advantage of that position. Good luck whatever you do, but please consider what I've said
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

dont forget about the insurance for that car....easy $500 a month maybe $600 + the insurance of probally $250 a month easy.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

do it!! i just turned 20 and live at home. i make 2 grand a month after taxes. my evo is 612 amonth and 125 for insurance a month. i fill my gas tank about twice a week. But i still have about 200$ a week of spending money . witch is good enuff for me.

Quick Reply: can i afford an evo ?