Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Re-enforcing the bumper to prevent intercooler damage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-enforcing the bumper to prevent intercooler damage

Since I live in Canada I can't engineer a solution for this. Anyone have any ideas cause if a fix was relatively cheap (>1-2 g's) than I would pursue this.

I heard someone using ralliart bumpers or something but that makes no sense cause you'd need more structural changes to withstand the front crash impact.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Your car is made out of plastic and light metals. If you hit something, it WILL get ****ed up.

You'd be better off spending the money on insurance, and not hitting things.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If you re-enforce the bumper assembly it is going to pass the damage to another part of the car which is going to be MUCH more expensive to repair than that throw away bumper beam and intercooler.

It is designed like it is for many reasons.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

He is referring to the no damage bumper test. In the US, the car has to meet the 5mph (or whatever the number is) no damage bumper test. Canada has the same test, but at 10Km/h (or similar). In any case, it ends up being 2 or 3 mph more than the US.

The point is that these laws are a bunch BS. Some cars pass the 5mph no damage test but at 7mph they fail. If they fail, this car is not allowed to be sold in Canada and if you wish to import a car, it has to be modified to meet this BS safety law.

There are some other BS laws that are just as stupid (having the US-Canada limits different by 1% or less) that makes some cars legal in Canada but not in the US. For example, recall the retarded US passive restraint era of the 1990's. US cars had those retarded neck killer/skull fracturing automatic seatbelts in cars that did not have airbags. Canada just relied on the drivers common sense to put on their belts.

I think it is just stupid to be different by such nonsense amounts. Why can't these neighbors just synchronize the standards and make it easy on themselves, the car manufacturers and the citizens. I guess if it makes too much sense, then the government will not go for it, its all for our safety's sake.... yeah right.

Anyway, to answer the guys question. no one will build the part you want. The gov. paperwork to prove that the part meets the safety tests is too much of a pain for anyone to bother with it. Also, they probably will want to crash test it too, so no is going to bother with that either.

Last edited by xtnct; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:28 PM

bummer ....I still ain't giving up hope..
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
To do this you need several cars. It's not as simple as adding a support and saying "oh look its reinforced", you have to prove that it can pass the requirements with the modifications. This means crashing a few cars.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
If you re-enforce the bumper assembly it is going to pass the damage to another part of the car which is going to be MUCH more expensive to repair than that throw away bumper beam and intercooler.

It is designed like it is for many reasons.

+1