Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help with my Dyno results (charts attached)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help with my Dyno results (charts attached)

Right now, all I have is a MBC and cams (272's). The power is obviously dropping alot, and I want to get the right tune. I have tried to read my ECU with ECUFlash and is says "Unkown ROM Image". I'm extremely new to all of this, and really need some advise as to what to do. I will not be doing any of the work, and I have about 1k to spend on mods and labor. Is it possible my ECU cannot be flashed? How bad do my charts look? Any input would be appreciated...thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Help with my Dyno results (charts attached)-dyno-medium-.jpg   Help with my Dyno results (charts attached)-boost-medium-.jpg  
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to tune the AFR badly.....too lean down low and too rich up top
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

If u still have the stock exhaust that isnt too bad. But why would u have cams and no exhaust unless u bought the car used like that. U are also very very rich on the top end. I would say if u have a flash that it is set up for alot more mods and other hardware thats not on the car. AFR should be mids 11s not 10.1 thats almost if not as rich as stock.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think ur low end and midrange are too lean unless alot of knock is present. Im that rich on spool up as u r. Usually a completley stock car is still leaner then that on the on sight of boost.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitey4d
If u still have the stock exhaust that isnt too bad. But why would u have cams and no exhaust unless u bought the car used like that.
Yes, I bought the car used with cams. I didn't know they were installed. And yes, I'm on stock exhaust. We can't figure out if it has a tune/flash or not. Almost positive not. It also came with aftermarket clutch.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:50 PM

Get your AFR tuned
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steevo
Yes, I bought the car used with cams. I didn't know they were installed. And yes, I'm on stock exhaust. We can't figure out if it has a tune/flash or not. Almost positive not. It also came with aftermarket clutch.
From your charts i would say the car was tuned on a bunch of other mods. To me it looks as if you bout a car that was modded and went back to stock for the sale...I would say it was most likely tuned.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I've been trying to get it tuned, but the "Unknown ROM image" message we get is stopping us. I think there could be a chance of frying my ECU if we "attempt" the tune. The tuning options available to me are ECUFlash, ECUtek, or an Xede. I can't afford the Xede route. If I got tuned properly, I assume my power increase alot on top, right? What would be my best tuning option, and how much power could I gain? Again, I'm really new to this, but need as much help as possible.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LI Pinky
From your charts i would say the car was tuned on a bunch of other mods. To me it looks as if you bout a car that was modded and went back to stock for the sale...I would say it was most likely tuned.
We definatley suspect it was tuned, but does it have a tune now? That's what we dont know. Plus, I really want the ECUFlash and we would have to take a chance with that. What if the previous tune can't be removed?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Overall, I don't think it looks that bad considering you have the stock exhaust. If you add an exhaust and get it tuned, you will pick up a few ponies. As for the ECU being locked, you might want to check with MalibuJack. I seem to recall reading that someone had a method for getting ECUs to accept a flash even when they were locked. I'm not 100% sure it was him, but he'll probably know about it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

same thing happen to one of my friends. Bought a used evo. They left in 272's and removed all the bolts on's. But they left the ecutek tune. Just need a retune.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ick messy situation ether way....thats why i would never buy a used one, no idea whats been done to it and whether it was a clean job or not.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

That tune profile looks identical to stock. Starts off around 12.0 at peak boost, then falls into the 9s by 7k.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

If the profile looks identical to stock, I'm assuming it does not have a tune now. Is there anyway I could find out for sure? If ECUFlash can't read my ECU correctly, would DynoFlash or another flash / tune be able to unlock it for me? I'm thinking catback or tbe, and tune for my 1k to spend. I just want it all done asap!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

YOu need a TBE, fuel pump, bov, and tune. You could get all that for $1200 if it were a mail-in flash. We need to figure out why it doesn't recognize the ROM, though. Have you asked (or searched) in the EcuFlash forum. I'd bet that someone else has encountered this and knows the solution.