Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Skeet got skeeted AKA I blew up.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeet got skeeted AKA I blew up.

Well I was driving home from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale for the weekend on last Thursday.

As I was driving home and my car fell flat on it's face and bucked forward, I immediately pulled into the right lane and slowed down to 50MPH. The car fell on it's face again, this time it was for real. I heard massive crunching/crumbling/(insert other destructive adjective here) coming from underneath the car so I pulled off the road and shut the car off ASAP. White smoke came from the front of the car and the terrible noises continued.

I knew something blew up, so I walked about a half a mile down I95 to find the mile marker sign so I could tell AAA where I am since I had no ****ing idea. They sent out a flat bed to come pick me up, so in the meantime I sat on the side of I95. Well then just when I thought it couldn't get worse, MY BATTERY DIED.

So now i'm sitting on the side of I95 in the middle of ****ing no where Orlando in an all black car with no indicators/lights on. Plus I was wearing all black clothing at the time, ironic eh? I called up *FHP to see if a cruiser could wait with me with the lights on untill AAA came, they brushed me off and basically told me no. Now i've watched the moon rise from the eastern horizon and is almost straight above me now. It's been about an hour and a half in the cold, I didn't sit inside of the car since i've seen cops too many times when the semi desecrates the car parked on the side of the road. So I stood about 100 feet in front of the car just waiting to get the **** out of the way from an approaching car. FINALLY I see a blinker come on from a truck, two hours later the AAA truck showed up. As we load the car on the truck all four wheels are locked up, so we just yanked the ***** on, more terrible noises continued.

Finally we get on the road, but he begins to swerve into other lanes and whatnot, he explains to me that he has been working for five days STRAIGHT and hasn't slept. So we pull off the road for about 5 minutes for him to walk around and wake up.

THREE HOURS and 120 miles later we arrive in WPB @ Mitsubishi. We drop the car off in the parts section and I get home @ around 3AM. I started driving at 6:30PM and made it to mile marker 205 in an hour and like 20 minutes, I was ****ing flying.

The reason for why the t-case blew up is because there was ZERO oil inside of it. I mean ZERO ****ing oil, when the mechanics pulled the drain plug for the tranny fluid came out with some metal. They pulled the drain plug for the t-case and not a single drop came out, we even tried shaking it. The only thing was sludge on the bolt FILLED with metal. Either two things happened, there was a leak causing all the oil drain or somehow someone forgot to put oil in it and it ran for 3,000 miles.

CLIFF NOTES: My T-case/Tranny blew up.

But of course me being skeet and all, what's a thread without pictures. When we stopped for my homeboy Jon(truck driver) to walk around I took a few pictures.

How many Mitsubishi technicians does it take to check the t-case fluid?

Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

ouch! How much is it gonna cost you?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
ouch! How much is it gonna cost you?
Shep built transmission w/ REM Cyro = $850 + $80 + $80
Shep build Tcase Stage 3 w/ Quaife LSD + REM/Cryo = $1695 + $200 + $50

Total: $2925.

That's without the slight labor of ripping the stuff out and putting it back in.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear this..... one of the reasons I like to do my own wrenching. At least that way you know.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

I think thats why I'll be doing all my fluid changes not a mistu tech. Good luck and hopefully the dealership will take care of the situation.

I thought ur xcase was gone not your trans?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Skeet son...hope all goes well with you and the Einsteins at Mitsu.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
I think thats why I'll be doing all my fluid changes not a mistu tech. Good luck and hopefully the dealership will take care of the situation.

I thought ur xcase was gone not your trans?
The Mitsu techs didn't do the fluid changes, it was a local shop when they installed the Tilton. The dealership isn't doing any of the work, I brought it there because my GF's dad owns it, plus I wanted to make sure it was the Tcase that blew and nothing else. I had it towed to another local shop.

Now the car is at a local shop which is pulling the stuff and shipping it out for me while i'm out of town.

The trans is fine i'm sure but I might as well build it at the same time, won't hurt
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. I am going to go to the dealer and get my fluids. BTW.. your car looks sick!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:36 PM

That last pictures reminds me of everytime we had an EVO come thru the shop I worked in. You have the 1 tech that is working on it then you have the 3-4 guys who wanna come check out the car and whats wrong with it, and then you have the service manager trying to figure out how to void the warranty..lol.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Bummer! Glad you are ok. Just remember, with a little money, this too will pass.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goodfella732
That last pictures reminds me of everytime we had an EVO come thru the shop I worked in. You have the 1 tech that is working on it then you have the 3-4 guys who wanna come check out the car and whats wrong with it, and then you have the service manager trying to figure out how to void the warranty..lol.
Once my car was brought in the entire garage shut down and they were all just chatting with me talking about the car and ****. Once we pulled that drain plug off the Tcase and nothing came out, everyone was like
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damnn it must be lucky to have a gf whos dad owns a mitsu dealer.....that like no voided warranties....and joy rides in evos
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sleet
Once we pulled that drain plug off the Tcase and nothing came out, everyone was like
lmao...sorry sleet

good luck with everything

how much for a simple quaife lsd w/ the howl fix lol
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, you can forget the 3,000 mile scenario. That is impossible. You had a leak.

Where it was leaking is what I want to know. Any pics?

I am a DSM retread and went through the DSM recall for the transfer case leak. Actually, the transfer case didn't leak, it was the the front yoke on the drive shaft that leaked; the transfer case oil escaped through it. It looks like the same drive shaft to me. Could we have the same problem here?

You might want to save your receipts.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to find out where it was leaking from, i'll keep everyone posted once I find out more information.

Quick Reply: Skeet got skeeted AKA I blew up.