Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

quick oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick oil filter question

I may end up like this: for asking this but I just did my first oil change and the auto parts only had one of those universal oil filter tools(to loosen and tighten).. I guess i over-torqued a little and put a very small dent into my oil filter(tiny) ... is it ok to drive the car like this? its a pretty tiny dent along the bottom where the filter has the square edging... I know thats a dumb question but IDK if i coulda messed something up inside and I would rather be safe than sorry, thanks guys
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

You should be safe.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it should be good as long as it's not crushed too bad or punctured. any pics?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

unfortunately i couldnt get a pic because my damn camera was stolen when it was in my last evo and i havent had any extra cash to get a new one... But its barely noticeable. The filters not even scratched but if I rub my finger around the edges on the bottom i can feel a dent on one of the sections where it squares off.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Rule of thumb, hand tighten then torque 1/4 turn with wrench... Apply oil around gasket before install too. Use that next time, but yeah...you'll be just fine as long as it's not a hole.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Big you should be fine, I just did my first oil change and I didn't tighten it enough so I had a little leak. Rule of thumb I go by now is tighten by hand then go 1/4 turn with ratchet and oil filter tool. No leaks after I tightened it a little. Some people only hand tighten but I'd rather be safe then sorry plus I have the tool so taking it off is easy if it's on too tight.

We talked before about HIDS, we should definitely meet up one night and shoot da s$&t.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I did hand tighten and apply oil to the gasket. The store that was open didnt have the fitting that locks into the bottom of the filter unfortunaely. So I had to use one of those crappy universal ones
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
Big you should be fine, I just did my first oil change and I didn't tighten it enough so I had a little leak. Rule of thumb I go by now is tighten by hand then go 1/4 turn with ratchet and oil filter tool. No leaks after I tightened it a little. Some people only hand tighten but I'd rather be safe then sorry plus I have the tool so taking it off is easy if it's on too tight.

We talked before about HIDS, we should definitely meet up one night and shoot da s$&t.

Hey whats up man Thanks, I'always down to meeting up, just let me know where and when .

thanks everyone for the responses without making me feel like a jackass for asking something that may seem rediculous.

Last edited by Bigl4201; Nov 13, 2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

No problem man, anything you need just ask. I'm real AR (**** retentive) when it comes to working on my car so don't worry about asking questions.

Definitely lets meet up, you aren't that far from me. We can grab some grub in Huntington or something.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

anybody remeber the 80's when turbo guys used to fill the filter with oil then install, supposedly to make sure the turbo bearings never lacked oil?

...Im really showing my age here
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jroller
anybody remeber the 80's when turbo guys used to fill the filter with oil then install, supposedly to make sure the turbo bearings never lacked oil?

Actually, I think that's still recommended. I still do at least....hell, I even do it on my non-turbo vehicles
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MasterNater
Actually, I think that's still recommended. I still do at least....hell, I even do it on my non-turbo vehicles
huh, the service guy @ Tustin Mitsu said not to worry about it? Prob not a bad idea though.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jroller

I still do that. Plus it's so easy to why not just do it?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I put oil in the filter as well? just something I have done since ive been changing oil.....I also just hand tighten, I never use a wrench to re-tighten the filter and to date have never had a filter come off? (knocks on wood)
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigl4201
I may end up like this: for asking this but I just did my first oil change and the auto parts only had one of those universal oil filter tools(to loosen and tighten).. I guess i over-torqued a little and put a very small dent into my oil filter(tiny) ... is it ok to drive the car like this? its a pretty tiny dent along the bottom where the filter has the square edging... I know thats a dumb question but IDK if i coulda messed something up inside and I would rather be safe than sorry, thanks guys
To tighten the oil filter you can do it by hand. I've never used a tool to loosen mine only tighten. I sometimes use a paper towel for more leverage.