Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice Needed: Used or New Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
True, but you dont make power past 7k - at least not until cams.
How true...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
....it will be broken in the way you want...
I've been told that in Evos, this is invaluable to the longevity of your engine/clutch.

If you were planning on extensive mods, I'd say go used, because you'd (hypothetically) be replacing worn out parts anyhow. However, with "light" mods, it would probably be worth it to bite the bullet and put down the extra $6k+ for a new one. My $.02
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

get a new one if you can...used evos = large potential to have been beat to hell, and more possible problems. I have experienced this with my car
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:31 PM

Hrm, All great advice and opinions. But i guess no one here has in depth 'tips' on what to look out for when driving? Thanks for the few that have . Hrm, my opinion is swaying towards a new car...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, and don't mind doing your own repairs, I would buy used as buying one new is a huge waste of money. If you have no clue how to change your own brake pads, DO NOT BUY A USED EVO. People drive the **** out of these cars and the maintenance can be very expensive. If you are a mechanic, or are rich enough to pay for expensive repairs, then buying used might not be a bad idea.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackRaven
I've been told that in Evos, this is invaluable to the longevity of your engine/clutch.

If you were planning on extensive mods, I'd say go used, because you'd (hypothetically) be replacing worn out parts anyhow. However, with "light" mods, it would probably be worth it to bite the bullet and put down the extra $6k+ for a new one. My $.02

That is not completely true though man. What parts will you be replacing that are that used that will stop your car from running? turbo back? 02 housing? Exhaust mani? tune? I wouldnt ever buy an evo that had 10,000+ miles on it and i would want to know the previous owner ( make sure he was as abusive as some may be)

I can see replacing the clutch when you mod it enough to need one, but in the general sense, i would suggest buying something that you know how it was treated since day one

One quick Example. There is a kid justin up at my college who takes his RR evo VIII off roading enough that it never drives straight even after allignment. Talking about jumping over hills ect. Just throwing out that you never know what people do.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to go against what most people think and say buy a used one. It is a possibility that when buying a used sports car, it might have been beaten on. But think about it, who in the hell would buy an evo and not beat on it? Thats what its made for! If the previous owner did so much damage, you would most likley notice it (I hope). Or, just buy a used one from a dealer. Most dealers will go through heavy inspections of the car before they sell it. And the clenliness and incentives are well worth it imho.

But I can also say that if I was a baller, I would have bought a new one.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:39 PM

Great opinions guys. Let me through another factor in though. What about getting a USED Evo from dealers? I've been to the South Coast Evo website and you can search their inventory. Seems like some pretty okay deals. Hrm... still kind of leaning ot the 'New Evo' side though.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenspeed
... still kind of leaning ot the 'New Evo' side though.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:45 AM

I went used and BIG mistake nothing but problems.If you got the money go new you wont regret it.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:54 AM

One more vote for buying a new Evo. I was in the same boat and ended up getting a new 05 well below list.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have a vishnu tuned 06 MR I will be selling to make way for a 997TT in January, located in SoCal. Not all used Evos are driven like they hate them. With a thorough inspection at the dealer + if the owner has all maintenance paperwork and mod receipts performed by well known and respected tuners you can reduce your risk considerably buying used and saving 6-10k.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a new one would be nice and all but it all comes down to price and if you can afford a new one. i myself am looking for a used evo because simpily a new one cost so much more. i mean used 03's go for 19-22 thousand and a new gsr is probably 32K+ out the door. thats 12-13 thousand more which is a lot to think about.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Used is great especially if your a mechanical person and into modding. I bought mine to mod. F*^& a warranty. Saved myself 10k vs. new also. I checked the whole car out when purchesing. Comppression test, Leakdown test. The whole 9. I put almost 40k on it since then with just normal maintenence and a clutch (which you'll have to do in your new IX anyway).

I smile every time I see what I owe on the car and what it cost me a month. When somthing f(&^) up. Ill have that much more money to rebuild it better than stock.

I dont regret my decision 1 bit my EVO is A++ forever.