Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice Needed: Used or New Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice Needed: Used or New Evo?

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what exactly one needs to look for when buying a 'Used' Evo? I'm planning to get an Evo but just purchased my car, hence after much yearning I'm still caught in between getting a 'New' Evo IX MR or an Evo VIII. However I've little to none experience in terms of getting a 'Used' car.

Goals:
1. Get an Evo
2. Tune it slightly (Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, BOV, Cams) (Reliability is main concern)
3. Own if forever (Or until it gives out. Whichever comes first) (And then buy the newest Evo Laughing)
4. This will be my first manual car (I have a Prius, whic was my 1st car ever), and I'll be 'learning' stick. Expecation: Damaged clutch & Whole lot of fun.

Advice?
1. What should I look out for when searching for an used Evo online (Mods that I should stay away from, telltale details people like to leave out in posting ad, etc)

2. I recently saw a Evo IX sold on Craigslist stating there was an a problem with the engine and was swapped out under warranty. (Are engine repairs bad? Signs that i should 'stay away'?)

3. Upon testing a used Evo what should I be on the 'lookout' for? Visual inspection(Aside from tires what should a non-Evo driving person lookout for?) Driving (Important tests that I can do. Expectations in terms of performance?)

4. I've heard that Cars that have been modified are usually taken care of better than 'normal' daily drivers because the owner invests money into the car. This is contrary to popular belief that cars that have been tuned and modified have engines that are 'Trashed' (and that you should stay away from purchasing these abused cars second hand). Would you agree?

5. I don't know my way around the engine bay. Where do I look?!

I've test driven a IX SE and I've sat in the same car whilst it was pushed to 5k Revs up a steep hill at about 60Mph (in a 25 Mph zone) by the salesman, so I do have the 'seat of the pants' 'reading' of what the power of a IX feels like.

After all of this. Is getting a used Evo better?

All the comments and raves are much appreciated!

p.s. Posted at Norcalevo. But Evolutionm.net has more people! [B]

Last edited by Greenspeed; Nov 14, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:50 PM
Pocket Mo

The decision relies solely on one thing; your budget. Can you afford a new Evo? If so, don't skimp and risk getting a problem-plagued used Evo. The main thing you want to look out for on a used Evo is a slipping clutch. You can tell the clutch is slipping when you step on the gas and the rpm shoots up, comes back down, and then the car starts to move (all this while in gear). 5K rpm, you have a pretty good butt dyno reading of what the Evo will feel like IF the salesman was going full throttle.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

wow from a prius to an evo thats a big change....

If your not that great with cars id say buy a new one... and keep it stock for a long time till you get used to the huge power difference and learn how to drive stick.

4) Lots of people that mod there cars take exceptional care of them! But if there is performacne parts on the car you know the car has probably been abused a few times. Which doesnt mean its gonna blow up but id buy something with the least wear and teatr on it as possible esp. since this is you first standard car....

and also bein in the passanger seat is no where near the same as dirvin the car...And he was only at 5k imagine 7k???
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:57 PM
Pocket Mo

Peak TQ is at 3500 rpms while peak HP is at 6500 rpms from the factory. Torque is what pins you to your seat to the car will feel ridiculously quick (especially coming from a Prius) as soon as the turbo goes full boost which is around 3500 rpms.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

definitely go new if you can. i almost bought a used 03 evo 8 but decided that I would be better off learning the ropes on a car that is much easier to maintain and does not have tremendous used car risks like an evo. if you do go used; do what these guys said and pick one that has been maintained, all paperwork, no accidents, and still has warranty.

from what i've read here over the past year it seems that the evos hold up pretty well if properly maintained. just remember that very few people buy a sports car with the intention of keeping it below 3k and only using it to cart around a sick dying grandma

oh yeah and definitely rent a neon or lancer or something else to learn stick on before you try on an evo

Last edited by mtags24; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

If you go used, save some money for a front diff and a clutch.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go new if you can, but if not try getting a low milage '05! I found a bunch for around 24-25 grand with like 11-15k miles on them!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by tabio42
If you go used, save some money for a front diff and a clutch.
Expected cost of those? How would I tell if the diff needs replacing?
Originally Posted by Jax419
I say go new if you can, but if not try getting a low milage '05! I found a bunch for around 24-25 grand with like 11-15k miles on them!
!!! Where ebay? Mitsubishi Dealer? I've a car already so I can hold out until the Evo X comes and hopefully prices will drop on the IX.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't even dare think about buying a used Evo, STi/STI, or any other AWD or sporting car, period. People aren't buying these cars to baby. They're buying them to beat the sh*t out of.

Cars this new, especially Evos and the like, are sitting on the lot mainly for 3 reasons....the girlfriend/wife got pregnant, the owner can't afford the payments, or the car has nothing but problems.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Don't listen to the new car snobs. You can find a nice used Evo and save a ton of money. IMHO, look for one that is stock or as close to stock as possible (example - suspension upgrades, exhaust, intake, etc). Run a carfax and do some investigating on your own to see if it has been in an accident (check out all the body panels and look for things like overspray on stickers/bolts, see if bolts/screws on the bodypanels are slightly stripped, etc). Ditto the engine bay - check hose clamps/screws/bolts to see if they have been removed at some point. If you are paranoid or are suspicious, just take it to a dealer and have them look it over with you there so you know what to look for. Finally, run the VIN by the dealer to make sure the warranty hasn't been voided. They will also typically lookup and tell you any service that was done to the car.

I've bought several new cars and several used cars and without question - have come ahead financially every time with the used cars. Let someone else eat the depreciation and use the money you save on other things!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
New is definately the way to go... that way you'll never be in the dark with it. It will be broken in the way you want, driven the way you want, upkept the way you want etc.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenspeed
Goals:
1. Get an Evo
2. Tune it slightly (Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, BOV, Cams) (Reliability is main concern)
3. Own if forever (Or until it gives out. Whichever comes first) (And then buy the newest Evo Laughing)
4. This will be my first manual car (I have a Prius, whic was my 1st car ever), and I'll be 'learning' stick. Expecation: Damaged clutch & Whole lot of fun.
#2: TBE good idea, intake not so good but going to a cone filter can be done (but you will need a flash), BOV - if its plastic get a IX metal DV and it has to be recir., cams - sure that will give you some hp. But you are missing: MBC and flash (and prby clutch - a LICP is good too).

#4: I would strongly recom. learning on a friends car before you try to get an Evo - otherwise how are you going to test drive a used one (or a new one)? If you get one before you know how to drive - go to a parking lot and practice over and over.

Advice?
1. What should I look out for when searching for an used Evo online (Mods that I should stay away from, telltale details people like to leave out in posting ad, etc).
High mileage - not so bad, but lower the better. "Returned to stock" - never trust that. A new clutch within 200 miles - bad sign. VTA BOV - bad sign. Salvage Title - bad sign. TC and/or Trans - bad sign. New engine - bad sign...

2. I recently saw a Evo IX sold on Craigslist stating there was an a problem with the engine and was swapped out under warranty. (Are engine repairs bad? Signs that i should 'stay away'?)
Run away - fast. Our engines dont go to often, spec. when stock. That sounds like trouble. Rule of thumb - if it sounds too good to be true - it isnt true.

3. Upon testing a used Evo what should I be on the 'lookout' for? Visual inspection(Aside from tires what should a non-Evo driving person lookout for?) Driving (Important tests that I can do. Expectations in terms of performance?)
Look for visual defects - paint quality (all parts same color/quality), rims all in good shape, brake pads have good amound of material left. Make sure tires are not bald/worn weird. Engine and interior should be clean.

Performance wise - if its stock there should be no strange sounds from the engine/trans/tc/clutch. Should run smoothly and work flawlessly. Compared to your Prius its going to feel like a rocket.

4. I've heard that Cars that have been modified are usually taken care of better than 'normal' daily drivers because the owner invests money into the car. This is contrary to popular belief that cars that have been tuned and modified have engines that are 'Trashed' (and that you should stay away from purchasing these abused cars second hand). Would you agree?
All depends on the owner.

5. I don't know my way around the engine bay. Where do I look?!
I would bring a friend that knows cars - and I mean knows cars, doesnt just say he does. Or bring someone who does - mech you know, father, some one like that.

I've test driven a IX SE and I've sat in the same car whilst it was pushed to 5k Revs up a steep hill at about 60Mph (in a 25 Mph zone) by the salesman, so I do have the 'seat of the pants' 'reading' of what the power of a IX feels like.
Good, but our cars rev to 7k. And the fun goes to 7k

Hope that helps some, good luck and happy driving.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I wouldn't even dare think about buying a used Evo, STi/STI, or any other AWD or sporting car, period. People aren't buying these cars to baby. They're buying them to beat the sh*t out of.

Cars this new, especially Evos and the like, are sitting on the lot mainly for 3 reasons....the girlfriend/wife got pregnant, the owner can't afford the payments, or the car has nothing but problems.
+1
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvoGood
... but our cars rev to 7k. And the fun goes to 7k
You're missing 606rpms...

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; Nov 14, 2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Good, but our cars rev to 7k. And the fun goes to 7k
You're missing 606rpms...
True, but you dont make power past 7k - at least not until cams.