Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whos Reflash is better???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean Ivy is also in New Jersey and is a terrific tuner.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say go Ivey or Pruven I had never had a problem with either!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
GarageHRS and Autoplus ftw!!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott yo
I would say go Ivey or Pruven I had never had a problem with either!
Pruven? Al used to tune on Pruven's dyno, but I don't recall Pruven doing their own flash tuning.

Nevermind, I just saw your other thread where they just recently tuned you, so they are doing flashes now, but I wouldn't recommend people who have so little experience flashing Evos. I would stick with recommending tuners who have been doing this for years.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Nov 14, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Unfortunately, this is backwards. You think the dyno, which is not real and only simulating road conditions, is the end-all to proving your tune is good when it should be the track that tells the tale. Any tuner can pull out huge numbers while tuning on a dyno, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best tune on the street. You say that without a dynosheet, it's guesswork. Well, I say that my 12.26@110 at the track after a base Dynoflash without even touching a dyno is far more proof than a high (or low) dyno number. Plus, if you consider Jestr the shizzle, then consider the fact that he doesn't have a dyno...kinda contradictory, no? Food for thought...

OP, there's no way anyone can answer this question. It's way too broad, and you didn't bother to do any homework first. Shame...
Tuning without a dyno is indeed guesswork. A load based dyno is designed to simulate real street driving. Dynoflash tuned my friends car at DTM in Virginia, and he made less power than he was making before. Why didn't he realize this? Because he didn't have a dyno. The best way to tune is to see what the powerband is doing WHILE YOU ARE tuning. I would never pay for someone to drive my car while attempting to adjust the fuel/timing map and simply hope for the best. Jestr actually has a mustang dyno BTW.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 14, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

No, you're misundestanding. You're saying that what the dyno says is what matters most, but I'm saying that how the car performs in the real world is what matters most. It is a common mistake for people to only care what they put down on the dyno as opposed to how their car actually performs at the track. I did not think you would make that same mistake.

I can also guarantee you that Al did not ever step foot near DTM. I'm guessing you just didn't type that right, because it didn't make sense. I'm also certain that you have no idea what is done during a road tune based on your last comment, because no one just adjusts fuel and timing then hopes for the best. You're really out of touch if that's how you think it works. I would think the many awesome times in the drag forum (including my own) would give you a hint as to how well that sort of tuning works, then I would think you'd notice how often people with big dyno numbers get disappointed when they go to the track. If you haven't noticed such a thing, then you should start paying attention to the drag racing forum, imo.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes that was my mistake it was not DTM lol, it was at VIP. My friend took his car after Dynoflash "tuned" it at VIP and brought it to DTM where they made an additional 50+ whp over Dynoflash's tune. Al tuned my friends car even though he knew it had a large boost leak. He said it would be OK. Well, it turned out it wasn't ok and he was actually running dangerously lean. A LOAD based dyno puts resistance on the rollers to refect the car's real world weight (a heavy car has a harder time accelerating on a real road). Tuning on this type of dyno IS THE REAL WORLD. I have never seen anyone's car have problems after a dyno tune that used load calculations. Maybe you should take a physics class. There is no difference between tuning on a load dyno and the street except the tune on the load dyno will be more accurate. I would rather not waste my life reading anything in the drag racing forum.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 14, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Sean Ivy is also in New Jersey and is a terrific tuner.
Let me put it like this..... I raced a GT2 porsche thru the mile(race track) and my meth hose came off, a little after I got into third gear. The motor is still in the car, drove the car home with no problem. A friend of mine was racing a SRT8 Charger(track of course) and his meth pump went out and he lost his motor. I looked at his number 4 and 1 cylinder walls, and it looked as if someone put a chisel and hammer to them. We both have flashes but by different tuners. You cant go wrong with an Ivey Tune.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

buschur ftw
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I got a custom dynoflash tune about a week ago and couldn't be happier. Dyno numbers don't really matter... I know it is faster and smoother now.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Yes that was my mistake it was not DTM lol, it was at VIP. My friend took his car after Dynoflash "tuned" it at VIP and brought it to DTM where they made an additional 50+ whp over Dynoflash's tune. Al tuned my friends car even though he knew it had a large boost leak. He said it would be OK. Well, it turned out it wasn't ok and he was actually running dangerously lean. A LOAD based dyno puts resistance on the rollers to refect the car's real world weight (a heavy car has a harder time accelerating on a real road). Tuning on this type of dyno IS THE REAL WORLD. I have never seen anyone's car have problems after a dyno tune that used load calculations. Maybe you should take a physics class. There is no difference between tuning on a load dyno and the street except the tune on the load dyno will be more accurate. I would rather not waste my life reading anything in the drag racing forum.
Yes, and I know more about this situation than you do. This guy failed to do the proper checks on his car before his tune and showed up with a crushed LICP that Al diagnosed FOR HIM during the tune. He did think it would be ok after fixing the LICP, but that was not the case. It was a guess, and he was wrong, but Al was going to retune him no problem. I had it all set up, but instead, your friend was impatient and went to DTM. Of course it made a lot more power after fixing the LICP (duh). That doesn't have anything to do with having a dyno or not - that has to do with a car having a crushed LICP (unbeknownst to the driver somehow) and a car with a working LICP.

You cannot possibly believe that just because a dyno is load bearing that it accurately mimics the real world, I hope. You do know that the car is stationary on the dyno and that they open the hood and blow air with fans, right? That is an attempt to simulate real world conditions, and it is better than a non-load bearing dyno, but it is STILL not the real world. After that great tune by DTM, he went and ran about as well as I did when I was stock - so much for needing to see the dyno numbers, eh?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Let me put it like this..... I raced a GT2 porsche thru the mile(race track) and my meth hose came off, a little after I got into third gear. The motor is still in the car, drove the car home with no problem. A friend of mine was racing a SRT8 Charger(track of course) and his meth pump went out and he lost his motor. I looked at his number 4 and 1 cylinder walls, and it looked as if someone put a chisel and hammer to them. We both have flashes but by different tuners. You cant go wrong with an Ivey Tune.
amen
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

haha well thanks for the homework...

ill go to tt but ive heard good and bad things about marks tuning....
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

I don't haved the ability to post the dyno sheets right now, but just let me say that John is the man. He makes the whole process extemely easy going and there is absolutly no tension in the air like there was when I got my car tuned by, let me call him,"tuner X" about 3 months ago.
I felt my car was weak after my tune by "tuner X" but it was not untill my first dyno pull with John that I figured out just how weak it really was. My 06' MR only pulled 231 freakin horsepower on my first baseline pull - THATS LOWER THAN A BONE STOCK 9! I was pissed that I paid 300 bucks for "tuner X" to make my car slower than a stock car. John quickly rectified "tuner X's" fu$%#@ up tune and brought my car up to a respectable 279hp/287ftlb. John then turned on the meth injection and got 346hp/341ftlbs. I was extremly happy with John's tune and amazed that he got about 30 more hp right off the bat over "tuner X'. I'm not going to mention who "tuner X' is but he will NEVER get my hard earned cash ever again. I can't believe that my 9 was only running 231hp with an AMS intercooler, Injen intake, WORKS downpipe, Helix high flow cat, and Espiler catback. IMHO going from 231 to 279 is a huge jump and it only took John a few seconds on his laptop to get it.
In conclusion, John is a TRUE professional that really cares about giving his customers the absolute best tune he can and I thank him for that. I also would like to thank TorqueFreaks for opening their doors and dyno to us. They truely made us feel at home and I have the utmost respect for them for alowing us to use their shop and facilities for the day - thanks guys. Even though myself, Anthony, and all the rest of the Oak Habor gang did'nt get an ounce of sleep that night trying to get our cars ready for John - I had a blast Saturday as I was zombified half falling asleep while standing up and would do it again in a heartbeat. Good times.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

by the way this is my friends car^^^^^^^^^^

I also have a Jestr tune and love it