Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whos Reflash is better???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, and I know more about this situation than you do. This guy failed to do the proper checks on his car before his tune and showed up with a crushed LICP that Al diagnosed FOR HIM during the tune. He did think it would be ok after fixing the LICP, but that was not the case. It was a guess, and he was wrong, but Al was going to retune him no problem. I had it all set up, but instead, your friend was impatient and went to DTM. Of course it made a lot more power after fixing the LICP (duh). That doesn't have anything to do with having a dyno or not - that has to do with a car having a crushed LICP (unbeknownst to the driver somehow) and a car with a working LICP.

You cannot possibly believe that just because a dyno is load bearing that it accurately mimics the real world, I hope. You do know that the car is stationary on the dyno and that they open the hood and blow air with fans, right? That is an attempt to simulate real world conditions, and it is better than a non-load bearing dyno, but it is STILL not the real world. After that great tune by DTM, he went and ran about as well as I did when I was stock - so much for needing to see the dyno numbers, eh?
lol, some people dont take into consideration other factors that could affect their tune, huh?

so then who makes the best powerband in their flash for the street? TT? i dont really care for peak numbers, although i dont want to have some low @ss numbers lol. i do want a nice powerband because as you said, its definitely better on the street, and i will take it from you that it must be better on the track as well.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
check it. i got a jestr flash. 50 bucks. he was very helpfull and was willing to give great tips and ideas as we spoke. he in no way seemed to want to get off the phone. he also told me to log my car when i got his flash in. i put the flash in and the car was awsome. i did my logs and sent them back to him. he then sent me a tweeked map. witch was even better/smoother. he then said hey if you like log it again and send it back. so i did. loged the car and sent it back. he then sent me a new map. i called him but he did not pick up now check this. i left a messege saying john my car is great. everything is perfect. thanks for the new maps and all your help. about 4 hours later he called me back. he said he man sorry i missed your call. and so on. my point is this is what you call a true tuner and a guy dedicated to each costomer and there individual needs. i was gonna go with another tuner but costomer sevice and a few other things sucked. im glad because i could not be happyer with my tuner i got now.

go jestr. get it done right the 1st time
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jestr FTW! i've had his and another popular flash vendors map and guess which one i prefer! plus, shoot jestr and a few other vendors an email and see who responds in a timely manner because some vendors' customer service is in need of improving. i know they're busy and all, but others can do it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:02 PM

ive read only good things about dynoflash here..

but on socalevo.net they talk trash on dynoflash...dunno why
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, and I know more about this situation than you do. This guy failed to do the proper checks on his car before his tune and showed up with a crushed LICP that Al diagnosed FOR HIM during the tune. He did think it would be ok after fixing the LICP, but that was not the case. It was a guess, and he was wrong, but Al was going to retune him no problem. I had it all set up, but instead, your friend was impatient and went to DTM. Of course it made a lot more power after fixing the LICP (duh). That doesn't have anything to do with having a dyno or not - that has to do with a car having a crushed LICP (unbeknownst to the driver somehow) and a car with a working LICP.

You cannot possibly believe that just because a dyno is load bearing that it accurately mimics the real world, I hope. You do know that the car is stationary on the dyno and that they open the hood and blow air with fans, right? That is an attempt to simulate real world conditions, and it is better than a non-load bearing dyno, but it is STILL not the real world. After that great tune by DTM, he went and ran about as well as I did when I was stock - so much for needing to see the dyno numbers, eh?
You don't know more about his situation that I do. I was there. Al did in fact diagnosed the boost leak. However he should have known that a boost leak would have made the tune lean. Al told him it was OK and it wasn't. Then after everything was all said and done, Al offered my friend to get a re-flash at the cost of another $200. That is not acceptable. You make a very good point about the incoming air charge, I guess it is fair to say that it is best to do both a load dyno tune + street tune to be accurate as possible (dyno tune first then put it on the street for adjustments). I personally however could never recommend Dynoflash after seeing the before mentioned gross display of incompetence. He is often late, pompous, and overly expensive compared to many other reputable Evo tuners.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 14, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only gross display of incompetence was your friend having a crushed LICP and not even knowing it!!! He didn't check the car over when he bought it used, and he didn't follow the mandatory steps that Al lays out in plain English before getting tuned. Had he done what he was supposed to do, he would have known about the crushed LICP before showing up for his tune. If not for Al, that guy wouldn't have even known. Al knows what happens when there's a boost leak. What he didn't know was how severe the problem was due to the crushed LICP. You can't fault him for that. Also, I personally arranged for him to get RETUNED FOR FREE, so don't give me that crap about him having to pay. He knew damn well that he was going to get a full retune at no charge. It wasn't until he freaked out and made a dumb post on DcEvo that Al got mad and started talking about charging him. Even then, I assured the guy he would get tuned for free, and that was final. Al deferred judgement to me, and I took care of it, but then the dude went to DTM instead of waiting. None of that has anything to do with Al's ability nor a dyno being better.

Yes, using a dyno AND verifying on the street (or track) in multiple gears is the absolute best situation.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Since we cannot keep it civilized. This post is CLOSED......

To the poster. Do your research and find out the closest shop by where you live to help you if you have any problems after your flash.