Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What makes more sense keeping the evo or selling it

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Varrius
I did shop for a different lender, actually, I went to Capitalone, as well as several others. They all accepted me for much lower interest rates. But mitsubishi wanted to use their creditor, they wouldn't let me use a different bank. But yes, I was stupid enough to sign the paper, and smart enough to get out from under it within TEN months.
Sounds to me like you don't know how to shop for a car. If you had the opportunity for lower interest rate from other banks, you should have used them. Of course the dealer wants you to get the loan through them - they get kickbacks on it. You should have bargained harder or just gone to a different dealer at that point. They would have come around.

Not trying to be a dick but you guys need to take some personal responsibility and quit blaming your poor decisions on everyone else. What you are all explaining is the typical impulse car sale - you walk in the dealer with your heart so set on a car that you blindly agree to everything only to get smacked in the face with buyers remorse a few days later when it sets in how bad you took it in the ***.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu can't possibly say that you can't use another bank. That's insane. You go to another bank, get a check from them, give it to mitsubishi and drive home in the car. That's insane, dirty, lying and ultra shady that they said that. I'd kick the guy in the *****.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone who finances ANYTHING for over 8% is making a huge financial mistake. I don't care how badly you want it, you can't afford it if your financing is that high. Just save up for a few years and buy it with cash.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

14% interest... holy hell. No wonder it's costing you so much. You've put 22k into the car and you still owe 25k.... that's unreal.

Last edited by Talon; Nov 15, 2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:26 AM

sounds like a no brainer to me. Get a cheaper car and save the 1000 for a house. Im kinda in the same boat but with my stang. Good luck!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

I say sell it
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Look, these threads seem to end up the same, but I'll try to tell you what you probably don't want to hear anyway. Simply put, you need to get your financial situation in order. It's going to be painful while you're doing it, but that's the way it is. Sell the car, buy the house and get the cheapest p.o.s. you can to drive (that's reasonably reliable). Pay as much per month as you can possibly manage on the p.o.s. until it is paid off, and then you can start planning to get something new. Simply keep saving for the next vehicle by putting away whatever you've been paying for the old one up until now. In the best case you would save until you can buy the next car outright, but you're obviously a "car guy" so let's be reasonable and set your goal to be 50% down. By then, I'll bet your credit will be improved as well so you can shop around for a much better interest rate.

I know it's harsh and sounds impossible but let's face it, the evo is a toy. It's way more car than you need for transportation. There is no way you should be paying 13.9% interest for a car, particularly one that has a high maintenance cost. If you can do all of this, then in a few years you will be able to own a great car like the evo and actually enjoy owning it.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the comments , I am highly considering parting out the evo back to stock , maybe get 4,000 in selling my parts , and buy a civic cash ? Then i can save and put a motor in whenever the funds are available. I am 25 and do need a place tired of renting. They have 92-95 hatchbacks in the recycler for 5,000 with gsr swaps and gsr interior . What ya think ?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

exercise some self control, sell the car and use the money to pay down yr CC debts and build high FICO score, you will thank yourself later down the road.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
Sounds to me like you don't know how to shop for a car. If you had the opportunity for lower interest rate from other banks, you should have used them. Of course the dealer wants you to get the loan through them - they get kickbacks on it. You should have bargained harder or just gone to a different dealer at that point. They would have come around.

Not trying to be a dick but you guys need to take some personal responsibility and quit blaming your poor decisions on everyone else. What you are all explaining is the typical impulse car sale - you walk in the dealer with your heart so set on a car that you blindly agree to everything only to get smacked in the face with buyers remorse a few days later when it sets in how bad you took it in the ***.
Exactly.

While a dealership may prefer you to go through their lenders, they ultimately have no say so in who you choose to get your financing from.

Getting financed through another lending institution is just like paying cash in the dealership's eyes. You walk in with the check and drive out with the car. If they refuse to sell you the car just because you won't use their financing company, then that should be your first clue that these are people that you don't want to do business with, and you should go to another dealer.

And by the way, this would strictly be at a dealership level. If this ever happens call the manufacturer's customer service line and tell them that you have a check all set to go, and want to purchase their car, but the dealership won't let you. See what they have to say about that.

It just boggles the mind that people are willing to pay this kind of interest rate for a car, especially when you have good credit. And if your credit's not very good, there's no reason for you to be looking at an Evo in the first place - buy an inexpensive used car in order to build your credit score back up.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on the credit union. We have 750+ becon and got a 4.25 APR on the EVO.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

yeah im kinda in the same situation ive had the car for a year now and paid a crapton of interest. My interest rate was very high when i bought the car now im regreting every bit of getting the car. Dont get me wrong i love the car funnest car ive owned but high interest rates will kill you. im in the situation right now where i cant get rid of it cause i owe some much on it even if i sell it outright. Lot of it had to do with me having to roll over a few grand but thats what i get for impulse buying instead of shopping around some more. i also refinanced my car and saved myself 3 percent interest so thats an option for you too.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:14 AM

For Me I Will Keep The Evo
I Will Not Send That Much Money For Honda, A 10 Years Old Honda,
Honda Is A Good Toy But Not A Good Car