Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shifting without pushing the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifting without pushing the clutch?

So, I've heard of this "magical" techinque where you can shift w/o using the clutch. Supposedly, at a certain RPM you can slide the shifter from one gear to the next. Has anyone done it, does anyone know how to do it, or what that magical RPM range when this can be done is?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search...i wouldnt recommend you do it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

No clue what to search for. What should I search for to get the results that I desire?

Right now I'm just curious, I'm not thinking about doing it. Yet.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=19454.0

different forum...but its what you're asking
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes you can do it.. I do it when i get lazy.. You have a 300 rpm window or youll grind.. I have no idea when to do it I just go by sound.. But it can and is done...
Evolved Member

yeah i used to do this in my honda.....a guy i worked with did it and i was like wtf, and he was just like u gotta just know when the gears will fall into place when driving without the clutch. so i drove around for a while and got used to it.....the shifter just slides into gear at certain RPMs without the clutch engaged. pretty cool, but if u dont know what you are doing, u will f*** up your tranny. i had to drive like this one night cuz my clutch line got loose and leaked all the fluid out, so the clutch pedal would not come back up.....

why do u want to do this though? like i said before, if u dont know what you are doing then DONT DO IT, unless you are ready to rebuild the tranny. why not just use the clutch??
Evolved Member

Screw it! just use the clutch its a 35,000$ car is it worth it? I know I almost start crying if I hear it grind the smallest bit!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Why do I want to do it? Part novelty, but mostly because it might be useful some day.

It can't hurt to know. I'd rather know how to do it and not use it than need to use it and not know how to do it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

truck drivers do it. my dad used to do it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
Account Disabled

My father taught me how to go sans clutch pedal. Truck drivers and their crazy shifting techniques. He did it in my Evo and I can do it, but I don't like to. Doesn't feel natural. I don't mind shifting to neutral without the clutch every once in a while tho.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I know that method is named after a rally driver.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TogueMonster
I don't mind shifting to neutral without the clutch every once in a while tho.
I do that too. It just feels like it wants to slide into neutral.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

It's not complicated but you will **** it up when you try it the first couple of times.
The main trick (which will reduce wear and horrible noises) is to feel when the engine is driving the car and when the car is driving the engine.

When the engine is neither driving the car nor the car driving the engine, it will be easiest to pop it into neutral. This is the easy part.

Now it depends on where you want to go from here. If you want to go up a gear then just wait till the revs are at the right point for the road speed (sometimes you need to play with the throttle a bit), take a deep breath and slot it in. If all goes to plan, it should just slip in and you're on your way. Try not to force the thing into gear cos that will just wear the synchrmesh.

If you want to go down a gear, it's roughly the same but while in neutral, press the throttle to bring the revs up. You can feel through the shifter (don't force it, just sort of ease it in) when the right rev has been reached.

All in all, it's practice. If you're lazy and do it a lot, you'll get used to it. I wouldn't do it at high rpm's or when you're driving fast, the possibility of getting it wrong increases and the potential damage quite considerable. If you're a god, you can actually do this when down changing and braking into a corner as a sort of alternative to conventional heel/toe. Brake (probably with left foot), pull it into neutral, rev, put it into lower gear at just the righ point, then accelerate out of the corner like a hero. But that's if you're well good only. Most of us mortals still need 3 pedals, sadly.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:11 AM

You're wearing your synchros doing that, have fun. Yes, even when it doesn't grind, I know what you're talking about - it just pops in. I found it useful in my old car (240SX with SR20) after I killed the slave cylinder and had to drive it home without the clutch... basically only do it if you have to.

Last edited by BlackMK4; Nov 15, 2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

ehh It sounds too complicated..Ill stick to the clutch..

Quick Reply: Shifting without pushing the clutch?