Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Running more Boost in Colder Weather? My thoughts and your feedback on it.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running more Boost in Colder Weather? My thoughts and your feedback on it.

So as many of us already know colder air is more dense and so I've noticed on my boost gauge that the amount of boost that my car is pushing in colder weather does exceed 2 pounds or so more compared to what the same setting hits in the summer..

Winter = 24-25PSI

Summer = 22-23PSI

Now my question is I know that considering this information it would make sense to turn down the boost to keep it at 22-23 pounds but while thinking about this, and realizing how ALCOHOL INJECTION WORKS.. Isn't this like a natural alcohol injection kit. Can't I simply keep it at 24-25 PSI considering the air coming into the engine is cold thus already reducing knock.

I will admit that I am currently running 24-25PSI and have not run into any issues. Any Feedback would be appreciated. Am I driving safely.?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the general consensus is to turn down the MBC a bit when it gets cold out.

Someone with more technical knowledge can elaborate.

Edit: I think you also meant an alky kit running 100% water. Kits running actual Meth will raise the octane of the fuel charge as well.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I understand your feedback.. but I do have a point though, don't I. How much is 2 extra pounds in cold weather anyway? Anyone else with more expertise on the subject feel free to chime in.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

well wouldnt the 2 more pounds in cold weather be even more than it would be in warmer weather? considering the air is denser more air would be forced in and make u run alot more lean?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Dude don't be a tard and ruin a perfectly good ride. Turn down your boost. It isn't like "natural alcohol injection" , your talking about the weather here. The weather changes and makes air more dense YES, but your car not being tuned for it will eventually $hit can your engine. Now this is only me guessing you are the typical noob and you have no mods, there are a lot of things that play into affect when your talking about upping your boost but it should never be because mother nature wants it to happen. Remember just because you don't hear knock doesn't mean it isn't happening.....just turn it down man.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
So as many of us already know colder air is more dense and so I've noticed on my boost gauge that the amount of boost that my car is pushing in colder weather does exceed 2 pounds or so more compared to what the same setting hits in the summer..

Winter = 24-25PSI

Summer = 22-23PSI

Now my question is I know that considering this information it would make sense to turn down the boost to keep it at 22-23 pounds but while thinking about this, and realizing how ALCOHOL INJECTION WORKS.. Isn't this like a natural alcohol injection kit. Can't I simply keep it at 24-25 PSI considering the air coming into the engine is cold thus already reducing knock.

I will admit that I am currently running 24-25PSI and have not run into any issues. Any Feedback would be appreciated. Am I driving safely.?

You're kidding right? You didn't "realize how alcohol injection works" or you wouldn't have posted this.

Natural alcohol injection??? If you come up with a way to squeeze alcohol out of cold air, you let me know because I want to invest in that company.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

the cold air just makes the boost go up.... liek hot air makes it go down... one of the problems living in florida.. always messing with my mbc

alky is like filling the car with race gas it does the same thing

now if u had something like evoscan and can see what ur doing the car now you would realize whats actually happening... chances are your car is going into safe mode (pulling timing) and ur losing plenty of power

cheers!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cold air doesn't act like a fuel.. I don't know how you could even compare it to alky injection.

Not only do you run more boost but it spools faster and holds more boost til redline. Alot of places put "stuff" in the gas during the winter months to keep it from freezing (or so I've heard).

So turn it down