Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In an Accident... Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In an Accident... Need Advice

Well I was on my way to Jerry Seinfeld here in Milwaukee, and there was a back up on the Interstate. The SUV in front of me came to a complete stop, I came to a complete stop, the car behind me came to a complete stop, but somebody ran into the car behind us. Next thing I know, we were rear ended, and bounced into the vehicle in front of us.

I look over at my girlfriend and she was hurt, but not bleeding. I talked with her for a second and got out of my car. I walked to the car behind us, and they said the vehicle that slammed them took off. There wasn't much I could do but be pissed off about that. I then talked to the people I bounced in to. Their new Lexus SUV had a scratch on the tow hook cover.

My girlfriend went by ambulance to the ER and had a CAT scan, but they didn't find anything wrong, just a mild concussion.

CLIFF NOTES: I was in an accident and my hood, and front and rear bumpers were destroyed.

And now I come to my questions... People who have been in a similar accident - front or rear - what type of damages did you have, and is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I have begun a claim through my insurance company (thanks to the hit & run) and they will be having an adjuster make his estimate on Wednesday November 22nd. I am just trying to prepared for that discussion.

Front:

Rear:
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Extas
Well I was on my way to Jerry Seinfeld here in Milwaukee, and there was a back up on the Interstate. The SUV in front of me came to a complete stop, I came to a complete stop, the car behind me came to a complete stop, but somebody ran into the car behind us. Next thing I know, we were rear ended, and bounced into the vehicle in front of us.

I look over at my girlfriend and she was hurt, but not bleeding. I talked with her for a second and got out of my car. I walked to the car behind us, and they said the vehicle that slammed them took off. There wasn't much I could do but be pissed off about that. I then talked to the people I bounced in to. Their new Lexus SUV had a scratch on the tow hook cover.

My girlfriend went by ambulance to the ER and had a CAT scan, but they didn't find anything wrong, just a mild concussion.

CLIFF NOTES: I was in an accident and my hood, and front and rear bumpers were destroyed.

And now I come to my questions... People who have been in a similar accident - front or rear - what type of damages did you have, and is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I have begun a claim through my insurance company (thanks to the hit & run) and they will be having an adjuster make his estimate on Wednesday November 22nd. I am just trying to prepared for that discussion.

Front:

Rear:
Im just glad no one was hurt. Im sorry your GF had to go to hospital, but im glad shes ok and you too. As for the discussion just tell them what happened and be truthful about it. It wasnt your fault and if you really wanted to (at least here in GA it applies) you could get the person insurance that hit you to pay for it because technically they shouldnt have been that close to you. The same goes for the people you hit though if they really wanted to. Thats just one route to go. I was in a wreck just like this only i was the last person in the chain of the wreck. I was in the shuttle van for the dealership i worked at. As far as i know the person that hit the person behind me had to take the brunt of all the damages. In your case though im not too sure since it was a hit and run unless they get the person that ran. Good luck with everything though!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
Account Disabled

Which insurance company do u have?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

The person who rear-ended you will probably be responsible for your damages. Just dont let the insurance companies try to jack you with non-original parts. There is a common theme with many insurance companies to use non-original parts to save money, telling you that they will guarantee the parts. I have seen many and the fit is never perfect. Insist on original.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuLocal
The person who rear-ended you will probably be responsible for your damages. Just dont let the insurance companies try to jack you with non-original parts. There is a common theme with many insurance companies to use non-original parts to save money, telling you that they will guarantee the parts. I have seen many and the fit is never perfect. Insist on original.
Oh hell yea... I forgot about that. I worked at a dealership for a while and they would use Keystone parts which are nothing, but reworked THIN sheet metal! Its crap!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate it.

I have my insurance through Safeco. I'll have to talk to them about going on the insurance of the person who actually hit me.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

The main thing is that no one was seriously injured. How did h get away if the freeway was backed up and you all were sitting in traffic?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

We were right next to an off ramp so that's my guess...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and I looked in the trunk, and it's a bit crushed inside. I hope the frame isn't messed up...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks man!!!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Extas
Oh and I looked in the trunk, and it's a bit crushed inside. I hope the frame isn't messed up...
Your claim has two parts of damages.

1. Property Damage Claim
- negotiate with them on where the car is going to get fixed and such and have your car fixed at your preferred shop.

2. Bodily Injury Claim (for you or your gf)
- since the other car fled the scene, you can (if you have) make a claim on your uninsured motorist policy (uim).
- obtain a thorough medical treatment including the soft tissue injuries.
- get the medical records and bills and submit them to the adjuster
- the rule of thumb on pain and suffering damages is usually three times the cost of the medical treatment.

i hope this helps.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuLocal

Complete truth here /\/\...

1.) In most states ...

a.) The very rear driver is responsible.

b.) 3 years ago my wife caused a chain reaction and was resonsible
for every single vehicle. I know because I ended up paying the doubled
insurance premiums. To make matters worse ... one of the ladies in the
accident was the leading Jury consultant for the O.J. trial .
( This lady was actually the one who made the abrupt stop in the very front. )

2.) You have the right to demand original parts to put your vehicle
back to it's original condition.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Check for damage in the spare tyre compartment in the trunk. Small, harmless looking bumps to the rear can cause more damage than they look. The numberplate (licence plate) brackets get pushed in against a very thin sheet which is the well for the spare tyre.

It's possible to make it appear absolutely fine if you replace the rear bumper and bend the numberplate brackets back in place, but you'll still have a bent up rear. If the bodyshop is an ar$e, this is what they'll probably do.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:31 PM
Ink
Evolving Member

Glad to hear your OK. Good luck.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:29 PM

get the money from insurence, and get a body kit. haha