Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Autoweek!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its great that they put an aftermarket EVO on the cover

But - personally - I am sick of seeing wasted ink and pages on car after car from SHIV that is just some advertisng campaign

NOT to knock SHIV - who knows his stuff and makes great products - - BUT - its just so annoying to read about such basic and simple mods - its silly

So many times in the past I saw reviews of his WRX kits also in magazines

Even though there were dozens of countless more interesting and powerful WRX's out there which had more power and were much faster

I can name any number of EVO's which are making at least 50 HP more than Shiv's kit and which would be much more interesting to write about - but they never write about those cars

Big deal - a piggy back ecu and a exhuast !

How about a article on vivid racing's EVO ; pruven Performance's EVO or RMR's evo - all three of which would blow away Shiv's car with ease? (not to mention busher or ultimate racing)

We know Shiv could do so much more on his evo - - but his focus is selling these mediocre "stage" kits he can mass produce and sell to the masses

I say give the guy and award for self promotion and a prize for getting the most magazine articles for the lowest HP output kits

It just goes to show you - its not WHAT you know or what you DO - its who you know !!!!!

BTW - if you want to see what a "tunner" evo can do - just wait till you see what Pruven brings to this years SCC ultimate street car shootout

Last edited by Alfriedesq; May 16, 2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well Alfred,

I would say that Pruven did a pretty good job at last years event. With an Evo at this years event, the sky's the limit. Pruven hasn't done too poorly on self promotion either, I would say
Old May 17, 2003, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did he get that 300hp figure out of his Dyno that reads soo low?? Does his upgrades bring it from the original 180hp all the way up to the 300hp claim?? If so, then that's the way to go!!
Old May 17, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
How did he get that 300hp figure out of his Dyno that reads soo low?? Does his upgrades bring it from the original 180hp all the way up to the 300hp claim?? If so, then that's the way to go!!
He is comparing his estimated crank figues to the factory claimed crank figures
Old May 17, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by atlvalet
Well Alfred,

I would say that Pruven did a pretty good job at last years event. With an Evo at this years event, the sky's the limit. Pruven hasn't done too poorly on self promotion either, I would say
All we have to do is cast a LOT of votes for Pruven's black EVO - I would love to see what they come up with this year - they are in the top 100 cars that was just printed and should be in all newsstands by end of this week
Old May 17, 2003, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have to second myself ,but here You go:

I hope that ,some day they will bring those packages over here to US.I also believe that Ralliart had enough time to make up their mind and bring some goodies as well.I dont know who runs Ralliart's bussines over here ,but IMO if they would be smart enough ,they should brought some good stuff by now .US market would be like a golden mine for them.This is totaly a new territory where they could make pretty good $$$.Regardless of what I said before,after Mitsubishi pulled their cars out of WRC'03 season,doesn't seem like people are crazy about Ralliart anymore back in Europe.If You look around ,You can find a lot of stuff on Internet which is on sale and made by Ralliart.My friend in Poland told me,that Ralliart ECU's are pushed back by their competition just like MOTEC or GEMS which have better software,so they should move on and get their $hit togheter and bring something over here.I also believe that all owners cant wait 'till Ralliart people open their eyes and finally realize that we got our long waited cars and we need our parts ,so after almost 10 years of beeing in a shadow and beeing beaten by Honda's and Toyota's (no offense) is about time to become a king of the hill .Dont You guys think?I think that I'm gonna start to cry
Old May 17, 2003, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tryandcatchme
Im not at all impressed with Vishnu's Piggy Backs, I used to run one on my WRX, not at all impressed with the performance of it since my car wouldent start if it were under 30 degrees outside, and the electronic components used on it were pretty crappy if you ask me.
I think you were running a Unichip, not our own XEDE unit. They are two very different animals, FWIW.

Shiv
Old May 17, 2003, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Even though there were dozens of countless more interesting and powerful WRX's out there which had more power and were much faster

I can name any number of EVO's which are making at least 50 HP more than Shiv's kit and which would be much more interesting to write about - but they never write about those cars
The last Stage 2 WRX we entered in the last month's WRX shootout in SCC mag ran 111mph trap speeds. The mildly modified EVO we just ran this week in Car and Driver Super Tuner Shootout ran trap speeds of 107mph. Both on 91 octane. Both in Fontana (a slow track). And both in road race trim (full tire pressure, conservative tune, etc.,) While these results may not be record-breaking, we are happy with the fact that both cars can run at 10/10ths for an entire hotlapping session at Willow Springs without overheating or blowing up like most dyno queen tuner cars I've seen tested by magazines. In fact, in today's magazine testing at Streets of Willow, our Stage 1 EVO lapped the full course nearly 1 second faster than a new Porsche 911 C4s and nearly 2 seconds quicker than a stock EVO. More importantly, it survived a full day of journalist thrashing in 95+ degree weather without missing a beat. This is unlike the vast majority of other tuner cars that enter such events. Most end up being trailored home or forced to abstain to such never-seen-before testing conditions. The reasons we get invited to magazine testing is two-fold: 1) we actually show up and 2) we don't blow up.

Squeezing another X hp out of a tuner car for the sake of dyno bragging rights is nice and not very difficult. However, it's no fun when it's pinging and popping at the racetrack when subjected to pump gas and/or full sustained load for more than 12 seconds at a time.

BTW, our little EVO ended up in 4th place overall (out of 16) at this week's Car and Driver Super Tuner Shootout. Behind a Comptech supercharged S2000, Rhys Millen's modified EVO 7 and Cobb Tunings WRX racecar (just 0.1 seconds ahead of us despite having a built 2.5L motor, 285mm wide tires/fender flares at each corner and an autocross maestro driving it). All of those cars had a substantially higher price tag than our little EVO with $2000 of engine mods, stock suspension, stock tires and stock-like drivability. We are quite satisified with how things turned out. Goes to show just how good the EVO is right out of the box. One of the hardest things about tuning this car is not messing it up which is a big issue when part of the test course is a 130 to 0mph threshold braking on a banked oval. The other components were a 1/4 mile run leading into a minute-long road course through the infield of Calif. Motor Speeday. A very high speed test which took 125-150 seconds from start to finish, depending on the car.

Cheers,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; May 17, 2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 17, 2003, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Here.. Here....
Old May 17, 2003, 09:03 AM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

our little EVO with $2000 of engine mods, stock suspension, stock tires and stock-like drivability. We are quite satisified with how things turned out. Goes to show just how good the EVO is right out of the box.

Cheers,
Shiv
Shiv, thanks for clarifying the differences between a high-strung brag queen and a daily driver.

What were the differences between the car you used for the tuner shootout and the Stage Zero kit? Can't be much if the total cost was around $2000 and the Stage Zero is $ 1595. Unless you used a special map that will not be made available to the rest of us. If that is the case, the $2000 quote would be misleading because it doesn't reflect the dyno time one of us would have to finance to achieve similar results.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Old May 17, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

Shiv, thanks for clarifying the differences between a high-strung brag queen and a daily driver.

What were the differences between the car you used for the tuner shootout and the Stage Zero kit? Can't be much if the total cost was around $2000 and the Stage Zero is $ 1595. Unless you used a special map that will not be made available to the rest of us. If that is the case, the $2000 quote would be misleading because it doesn't reflect the dyno time one of us would have to finance to achieve similar results.
In addition to Stage Zero, we also managed to fit a (at the last second) a prototype 3" downpipe. I suspect anyone with 93 octane will see similiar (if not better) results using the same map (or a further developed version of it) which will be made available as soon as the downpipe is ready.

Cheers,
shiv
Old May 17, 2003, 12:15 PM

There is *nothing* that proves a car's all around performance than hot lapping sessions all day long with 91 octane. Hell there are STOCK cars that probably can't even handle that. I'm sold! Shiv when I get my evo you better believe i'll be doing business with you. One of my main prior concerns was running open track days reliably at 350+ bhp in the EVO. Keep up the good work because I know speak for a lot of people in saying we are very appreciative that someone out there is thinking outside the norm. I'll gladly sacrifice hp(which may not even be the case) for knowing that my car is running proper.

Gonna have to pickup this issue of autoweek.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

...I can't seem to find anyone who carries Autoweek... Not at The Book People, or the usual Stop & Robs. I guess I'll try Barns & Noble later.

PS ...the car that can run all day is what I'm impressed by, not the one-run-wonder-dyno-queen.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:04 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

In addition to Stage Zero, we also managed to fit a (at the last second) a prototype 3" downpipe. I suspect anyone with 93 octane will see similiar (if not better) results using the same map (or a further developed version of it) which will be made available as soon as the downpipe is ready.

Cheers,
shiv
Shiv,

Now if you can just get an exhaust system shipped to me here on the east coast in sufficient time to install before your arrival on the 24th, I'll be golden! Spoke to Bret a week ago Friday, and Ken on Thursday, who said delivery deadline from your fabricator was for the 16th. Called on the 16th at 4:30 PM PST to check but you guys had already switched over to answering machine. I'll call first thing on Monday. Still time to 2d day air the system and have it installed prior to Dyno Day at Altered Atmospheres (24 May) so you can install and tune the XEDE.

Lastly, are you using stock air filter element or someting different?

Last edited by jfh; May 18, 2003 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: New Autoweek!!!!!!