Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keeping your car from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joshesh
If you dont want to spend money on an aftermarket alarm system, what is an easy low or no cost way of disabling your car when you leave it?

Taking out the ignition coil wire?
wire in a switch to the fuel pump power source and just flip it off when you leave the car. the only way to take it then would be by rollback.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First simple thing I would do (assuming you have a non-RS model) is go in the front doors and unplug the door lock/unlock switch.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
First simple thing I would do (assuming you have a non-RS model) is go in the front doors and unplug the door lock/unlock switch.
but then a theive can simply bust out the window.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
but then a theive can simply bust out the window.
So what? They could just tow your car away too. So why bother doing anything I guess, right?

This thread is about theft prevention ideas, and it's about layering security. And I suggested a simple, free free anti theft mod that anyone can do to prevent their car from being opened with a coat hanger.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

wire in a switch to the fuel pump power source and just flip it off when you leave the car. the only way to take it then would be by rollback.
What exactly is roll back?? And also I'm still trying to figure out if a viper alarm will be compatible with a turbo timer??
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I park my Evo in front of my window, and I don't sleep.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

dont most of the viper alarms and most 2 way pagers have built in turbo timers?? my friend has a turbo timer a alarm and he cant lock it till the car shuts off.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Your best bet is to layer security, so that thieves will get frustrated and realize that there are easier targets than yours.

There is really nothing you can do to keep a thieve from stealing your car if they have enough time, but you can slow them down to the point that they'd rather get another vehicle.

So you want a mix of physical obstacles (clutch lock, kill switches)and tracking (lojack or similar device).

And if you really dont want people to tow your car you can get the boot, so it would make it very difficult to tow as well, but I think a good mix of the above would keep most of the thieves away.
this is very sound advice. I have had an Evo stolen so I've looked into this topic very in depth. I recommend:

1) LoJac early detection system. Notifies you when your car is moved w/out your key fob, and helps you find that car via GPS once its stolen.

2) Viper / Python / Clifford Alarm system. All the same company, and I strongly recommend the top alarm. I have the Python with quite a few added options:
- Fuel Cut
- Starter Cut
- 3 Interior "Extreme" sirens, one of which is under the steering column. These are INSANELY loud and there's no way you could work on hotwiring this car while these are blasting in your ears.
- Backup battery for the alarm system. I've heard theives can use a car battery to blow your fuses, this prevents that.
- interior blinking light, so that hopefully theives will see this and choose a different car.

3) Some kind of steering wheel lock, the club is a good one.

Certainly, "if there's a will there's a way" and none of these guarantee 100% that the car wont be stolen. I wont debate why each of these is truly necessary because many people here would like to say alarms dont do anything to help. I strongly disagree. Your choice, your $30,000
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigl4201
+5, after my evo was actually stolen this is the setup I now have. only I added proximity sesors to the alarm system

Does anybody know if a Turbo timer is compatable with an alarm like the viper 5000 ? the reason i ask is becasue the alarm has its own immobilizer and when i lock the doors the car will not start so i wonder if the built in immobilizer will just cancel out the turbo timer and shut the car off anyway?
I have had this alarm on all my cars but one! I had a turbo timer on my audi and it wasn't able to run do to the setup. so i went with another alarm i fotrget the make of it actually i know it had a carbon fiber controller thing, but it's a 2-way pager with sensorsjust like the the Viper but it has a built in Turbo Timer...PIMP! I'll look into info for u
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or pull out the ignition fuse
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LI Pinky
I have had this alarm on all my cars but one! I had a turbo timer on my audi and it wasn't able to run do to the setup. so i went with another alarm i fotrget the make of it actually i know it had a carbon fiber controller thing, but it's a 2-way pager with sensorsjust like the the Viper but it has a built in Turbo Timer...PIMP! I'll look into info for u

hey thanks for the response man, so i guess i cant run an HKS turbo timer with the viper 5000. That kinda sucks
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

My problem is....I already have the turbo timer installed the apexi one and I'm wondering if I go with the viper...if anything else is going to have to be rewired? I'm still wondering how to do the whole fuel ignition thingy switch though anything helps. And all this low jack talk is making me want to go pay cash for mine since I didn't get it installed into the car contract. Anyway thanks guys
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

which fuse is the ignition fuse? color and placement?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
550V attached to your steering wheel, 250V to your door handles.... video camera.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

if you dont have a lot of money and just want a really quick easy way to make it so someone cant steal your car then just pull the ecu fuse out. my friend does this with his honda everything so they cant do anything with it but steal his radio. it works wonders. . otherwise just get a good alarm w/ backup battery and kill switches.

- shane

Quick Reply: Keeping your car from being stolen