Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keeping your car from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:34 AM

There was a recent thread where the person indicated that the Evos are stolen often. I know that our key fob has a microchip in it and it helps to stop this. What else can be done besides an alarm?
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

remove your turbo timer if you have one

if you want to get crazy...you can set up one or two fuel cut switches hidden in your car.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

A Rottweiler in the front seat works wonders.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

i agree 100% and new seats everyday too lol
Originally Posted by glgz
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by glgz
lol...not many of us have the funds to replace our interior every day...

not to mention the sheer amount of dog crap that will pile up....
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Get a good alarm. Chances are the thief will look elsewhere. It is also probable that he will also move on to the next car to vandalize.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Lojack early warning and the viper 5000 w/pager I have both and I've never had a problem
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Your best bet is to layer security, so that thieves will get frustrated and realize that there are easier targets than yours.

There is really nothing you can do to keep a thieve from stealing your car if they have enough time, but you can slow them down to the point that they'd rather get another vehicle.

So you want a mix of physical obstacles (clutch lock, kill switches)and tracking (lojack or similar device).

And if you really dont want people to tow your car you can get the boot, so it would make it very difficult to tow as well, but I think a good mix of the above would keep most of the thieves away.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Your best bet is to layer security, so that thieves will get frustrated and realize that there are easier targets than yours.

There is really nothing you can do to keep a thieve from stealing your car if they have enough time, but you can slow them down to the point that they'd rather get another vehicle.

So you want a mix of physical obstacles (clutch lock, kill switches)and tracking (lojack or similar device).

And if you really dont want people to tow your car you can get the boot, so it would make it very difficult to tow as well, but I think a good mix of the above would keep most of the thieves away.
Thanks.

I just need to bite the bullet and add weight to the car (At least I will still have a car).
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

i've been paranoid as well as the rest of you, i was wondering, i put the apexi turbo timer in yesterday and i was going to get the viper with pager today will the car still be able to be locked and cooling down at the same time or will i have an issue? thanks guys
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jewish Santa
Lojack early warning and the viper 5000 w/pager I have both and I've never had a problem

+5, after my evo was actually stolen this is the setup I now have. only I added proximity sesors to the alarm system

Does anybody know if a Turbo timer is compatable with an alarm like the viper 5000 ? the reason i ask is becasue the alarm has its own immobilizer and when i lock the doors the car will not start so i wonder if the built in immobilizer will just cancel out the turbo timer and shut the car off anyway?

Last edited by Bigl4201; Nov 20, 2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

take your wheels out every night!...
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Obvious, but put it in a garage at night, and try to park outside your office window, if possible. Don't leave valuables inside.

Bear in mind that anything you do is purely a deterrent. If a thief really wants your car, they will take it, but you can make it difficult or undesirable for them.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

If you dont want to spend money on an aftermarket alarm system, what is an easy low or no cost way of disabling your car when you leave it?

Taking out the ignition coil wire?
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

remove some spark plugs =P

Quick Reply: Keeping your car from being stolen