Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

norris designs evo 9 in car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why even call it an Evo? It's a race car that gets passed like it's standing still in the video.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with building race cars and/or testing your stuff, but to me, it seems like they could have started with a Buick or a Kia and got the same results with similar effort.

Sorry for pissing on the parade. It's not like you posted in the wrong forum. Just felt like giving my opinion for some strange reason.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Ryan Woon's in car 8 sec. run link on that site. The shifting is absolutly redik.

I also really like the Norris EVO's. They are nasty.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
Talentsearch...the guys from Sun Auto just called. They said to stop hanging on the Cyber Evo's nuts. It's killing their corner exit speeds.
I had a reply for ya' .... but youre lucky this site froze up and it didnt post...

but its all good!

Just want to see more competition

I know of 3 cars out here in the VA and MD area being built for next years season... hopefully we'll have more go against the crew whose nuts Im on
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Qest
It's a race car that gets passed like it's standing still in the video.

I assume he was warming up the tires because he never got on it until a lap or so after that.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

here is a vid with the mitsu WRC car and the norris car giving a track demo

http://www.sporttuned.com/watch.php?v_id=815&m=all
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

he needs to adjust the rear toe in a bit or really tweak the brake balance. he was almost losing it every lap going into 1 until he finally ran out of talent.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
he needs to adjust the rear toe in a bit or really tweak the brake balance. he was almost losing it every lap going into 1 until he finally ran out of talent.

I dont think the driver has much if any talent at all.

http://www.sporttuned.com/watch.php?v_id=816&m=all
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

OK, now I dislike the Norris car even more. At the end of the donut video the driver has to open the door to let out all the tire smoke trapped inside the car!!!

Everything I've seen in this thread about this car shows it to be useless.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks to me like they are on a a fairly low level of grip circuit........

Also, I think you are judging a race car strictly on the driver's talent level, and this guy looks to be nothing short of average from this video...

The car, prep, and design looks fairly impressive from what can be seen.

and it's obvious his pace is "ok" before he loses it, and then takes it easy, while he is dumping gravel etc on the track.

This just goes to show also, a powerful well prepared car in the hands of a less than professional driver, on a technical circuit, is less effective than a well prepared car, with less power and a good/excellent driver.

cheers

cb
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

i admire the car for the effort,time and most of all the unique idea that went into building it.

I would think that anyone could appreciate this.
Norris designs have some very fast evos and the best part about them is their ability to perform all around plus be streetable
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't an Evo do better on a low-grip circuit thanks to the advanced AWD or did they kill that too?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not trying to be a hater but what was the original purpose of this car?
Mr. Norris had already mentioned in an article that short wheelbase hurts the car's performance in a racetrack.
Although I don't pretend to be an engineer, I would think short wheelbase isn't beneficial for drag racing either.
Was it designed to emulate Audi quattro short wheelbase car.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i meant low grip, in relation to the power level the car has.... sorry...

also...

short wheelbase will make the car change direction a bit easier.... but ultimately make it more unstable in highspeed transitions....

but, wide tires, lots of power, tight radius corners, and heavy threshold braking can make it interesting...cb
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I had the privelege to see that car already. It was an amazing piece of work. That thing has over 840whp. It weighs alot less, and the dimensions are much more stable when he dials in the suspension. It gets loose alot on the turns but its got 840whp not 500whp. All the NASA, time attack evos like john mueller, robispec and etc etc dont have anything remotEly close to that power. Also they spend more time tuning the suspension than anything.

I think once he spends more time tuning the suspension for road racing and circuit and detuning the power I think it will be much more conducive on the track.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The norris car is definitely sick. However a better idea to save weight is to swap the Evo engine + drivetrain + suspension onto a smaller lighter chassis (i.e. the Mirage, CRX, etc.). There is a guy local to me who swapped everything onto a Mirage, and the car is freaking sick. It was featured in one of the recent issues of Modified Magazine. It weighs in at 2600-2700 lbs with a full interior.