Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GT35R turbo feels slower?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
Also.... Who can help me get rid of the Boy Racer fart can sound? The muffler sounds like one of those cars that I alays make fun of because they sound like a fart in a coffee can.
I thought all heavily modded 4 bangers sounded like farts
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

My Helix exhaust sounds great. That's all I can suggest.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

lol 21 psi on stocker is way different then 21 psi on gt35R..lol..cant believe you even said that..

anyways i layed down 418awhp on 22 psi/all pump gas no meth/and a road tune..not sure why yours feels slower but i know my 35R i felt a hell of a difference..maybe the tune isnt that great,im not sure..

but yes on 28-30psi you will wake it up and haul ***...oh and go with meth or alky for pump,up it to 27 and some real nice number..my goal is over 500awhp on pump..which should be soon
Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yah i lied it is much faster! I was not used to the lag. Now i have to get that fart sound taken care of any ideas? Please dont tell me a muffler idea unless u have experience with it on a big turbo the stock turbo and mani sounds nothing like it does with the 35r on it!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try to go to a muffler shop and have a resonator installed.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone had oil come out of one of the bolts that is used for the stock turbo mount or was that some block oil drain plug right by the mounting bracket?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

my oil feed and drain line from the block use to leak,make sure its tight(check torque specs) cus if you break that in the block your ****ed...as for the fart noise..i have the RSR with AMS dp and megan test pipe...with out big turbo it sounded good and deep..now with 35R i hear a little whining like a honda in the beggining but not bad but its deep and loud as hell with a 35R..i set alarms off just idling,i have neighbors complain and people look at it weird like thats coming from that car...but i love the sound..nice and deep...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Bigger exhaust piping and muffler will allow for a deeper sound. However you may take a loss of power. I wouldnt suggest upping the piping to 4'' until your hitting around 550-600hp. You may just need to experiment/research mufflers. My new HKS exhaust sounds nice and deep and rumbles as does GT35REvo8 . With the cams it sounds like an older 8cyl at idle with the lobe ( un tuned) and when I worked the maps it smoothed out but the depth of the exhaust stayed. What muffler are you running? This is probably your primary cause of "Fart can/coffee can noise"
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

I c now its a Apexi N1. I think those are designated for smaller displacement cars like hondas alot of my friends with them sound deep in comparison to most mufflers, however when I had my N1 my car sounded like a honda with the N1. Now that i changed out of the N1 into the HKS it sounds deeper, but I dont have a GT35R

again just do some experimenting and research. Youll find your answers
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the fart sound is most likely the exhaust your running..try HKS,RSR,AMS,JUN..etc...not a big fan of apexi that could be the "fart" sound...hope you get it working and enjoythe 35R..i know i do..
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

I thnk a twin trurbo set up(one stock and one larger) would be much beter than one large turbo on such a small engine.. Like the BWM TTs have:
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yah it is weird... It sounded great until the 35R went on then it sounded like the Honda Fart can... I must take care of that I hate the sound. Can anyone give me a suggestion that has worked on their car? Would a resonator take care of it?

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Nov 23, 2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

first off, i dont' know why you put a GT35R on your car with the stock clutch.........

anyway, the reason your car got so loud is because of the turbo kit.....

check out www.mufflex-performance.com and get in touch with them. They are in trenton NJ but can ship anywhere. The owner there know's his stuff and hooked me up with a muffler. My 2.3/gt35r is now much quieter than all my friends evos with stock turbo's/turboback exhausts.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
first off, i dont' know why you put a GT35R on your car with the stock clutch.........

anyway, the reason your car got so loud is because of the turbo kit.....

check out www.mufflex-performance.com and get in touch with them. They are in trenton NJ but can ship anywhere. The owner there know's his stuff and hooked me up with a muffler. My 2.3/gt35r is now much quieter than all my friends evos with stock turbo's/turboback exhausts.
I put the 35R on with the stock clutch becuase I did not have the money to get another clutch. If you would like to donate to my clutch fund that would be fine. I know why the car got loud, it was not hard to figure that out. This is a "Build Process" meaning it will take some time to be completed.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

i was just implying it would have been a good idea to do the clutch before the turbo kit...........

either way, if you want to quiet your car down get in touch with mufflex. They have a 24 inch magnaflow muffler that made a HUGE difference on my car regarding sound.

Quick Reply: GT35R turbo feels slower?