Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GT35R turbo feels slower?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT35R turbo feels slower?

I just had my 35R installed with the other mods in my sig along with a tune.... The car does not really seem to be much faster? The only thing I notice is the lag and when the wastegate opens it is loud as ****! Has anyone noticed this? Is it due to the lag and only running pump gas boost? I am on the stock clutch but it does not seem to be slipping.... I would have thought the car would feel much faster but in all honesty it does not. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

That turbo is only good when race gas and high boost is applied.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
I just had my 35R installed with the other mods in my sig along with a tune.... The car does not really seem to be much faster? The only thing I notice is the lag and when the wastegate opens it is loud as ****! Has anyone noticed this? Is it due to the lag and only running pump gas boost? I am on the stock clutch but it does not seem to be slipping.... I would have thought the car would feel much faster but in all honesty it does not. Any suggestions?
Have you had it "tuned" since your 35r went on?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it was tuned. I understand that with high boost it will feel much different... But usually people are making around 410whp on them with pump. This does not feel like 400WHP. I brought c16 for the tune but they did not want to use it since I still have the stock clutch.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

uh....yea.......turn up the boost......If you were not going to run more boost, why did you buy a bigger turbo??? did you think 21 PSI from a 35r would be much different than 21 PSI from the stocker??? You get more power from ingesting more air and fuel. Put in some c-16 and get a good tune and then turn up the boost to 28-30 PSI and see what happens....remember more air and more fuel = more POWER!!! RRR
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I understand the properties of more boost. :P I was not expecting anything amazing with stock boost.... but atleast something. I plan to do a clutch and meth once the funds are around. I have 4 gallons of C16 but I don't know if the stock clutch will like that soo much. LOL
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

21lbs of boost from the stocker is not the same as 21lbs of boost from a gt35r. Each lb of boost from a stock turbo is not equivalent to a gt35r.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Also who did the tune.... obviously it was a road tune, or just a pre-made map template?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

if u are not going to run alky, u shouldnt go with the 35R, u are better off getting the 50trim as its the best turbo for pump gas.

i agree with the lag and the wastegate thing, i too have the same exact feeling that the 50trim is not as fast as the stocker. visit yr local track and yr trap speed will tell...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slo4g63
21lbs of boost from the stocker is not the same as 21lbs of boost from a gt35r. Each lb of boost from a stock turbo is not equivalent to a gt35r.

You are correct, but most people dont understand the theory behind it. I dont think the difference is an enourmous amount at low boost. When the swap occurs and you gain say 40HP, the introduction of lag may give you the feeling of a slower car even though you may have a net gain of HP. rrr
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:18 PM

Try setting your cams at -4 I and -1 E and run around 26-28 psi . Do you have the stock diameter intake/IC piping ? If so, this will stiffle the 35gt a fair amount.

Cheers
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well You are going to loose some torque with a larger turbo ( at around the same power levels) Because the spool is slower but Its a drawback with a more peaky system I had a 340 HP S2000 and it FELT slower then a stock IX But it ran mid 12's The instantaneous response of the stock turbo makes the car feel faster than it really is.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you feel torque. look at a dyno of a 35R compared to stock - its pretty obvious why a 35R feels slower. you lose alot of mid range torque, but the larger turbo carries the torque out farther in the power band
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:37 PM

Theory? Its called volume. The larger the turbo components, the larger the volume they displace. When moving from a stock turbo in any car to a large turbo, two things happen, lag and low end torque loss (as mentioned before). These two things are major indicators on the "butt dyno" but in reality, your mid range to top end horespower should be improved greatly. Gamma's suggestion of changing the cam timing and uping the boost are good cause although your top end will suffer slightly, your low end should wake up a little. Just be careful how much you "up" the boost on pump. And cheer up, cause that turbo definately rapes top end!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Also.... Who can help me get rid of the Boy Racer fart can sound? The muffler sounds like one of those cars that I alays make fun of because they sound like a fart in a coffee can.

Quick Reply: GT35R turbo feels slower?