Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rabbit Dry lake bed fun 2 evos 1 sti

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome pics! love seeing these cars used properly
Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
those are some dirty *** cars... glad to see u hate ur paint job

I wish there was a limp wristed smiley icon for you. If you bought your because of the paint job...well then there's no helping you. It's a...::gasp::...RALLY CAR! That doesn't mean sunshine and puppy dogs. It means mud, dirt, snow, beat it up and eat it up.

Now back on topic...

GREAT pics! Wish we had an area of that nature here in the northeast!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

thank you rally hearts i cannot justify buying a rally inspired vehicle to have it wasted only on tarmac, the ACD switch is something you will use out there frequently.

as for the so.cali guys, and everyone whose inquiring about the sand/paint under body, the sand is really not sand, its dry clay, and christian, which is a member of this site (black evo) he has a lowered evo and he was bustin donuts left n right, drifting, you name it, its not as harsh as it seems, the road to go in is smooth as hell, and the dirt is just fine clay that washes off with ease...

we are going again, for those so cali guys that want to try it out, its a great time we have up there!

pm me if you guys want to roll, we are in rialto/fontana/rancho cucamonga area and would love to have others come as long as your a responsible and safe driver

the guy that owns the evo from fast n the furious (he has it sitting in his garage)he will probably go with us, as he lives up there in victorville

Last edited by crasher; Nov 26, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 3vo2005
Is this legal?
Absolutely legal. Access to most of the dry lake beds and salt flats in our area (which includes the 3 hour journey to Las Vegas) is legal. Once you are on such natural, unpaved ground your opportunities are endless. There are no speed limits (except if otherwise posted with a justifiable reason as in 15mph within 50 feet of a camp). Drifting, Max speed tests, Full on races, course setup - anything. The catch is that you are completely responsible for your actions and no one else. If something happens, like another car crashes into you, you are responsible for your own repairs just as the other is for their own because out there each person is "at fault." Other than that everything is perfectly legal and punishment free.

Commercial industries and private industries can also "rent" out the areas of whichever lake bed / salt flat they want in order to conduct certain events like commercials or "official" races of some sort.

So basically its free, legal, and a hell of a fun time. It is a car and drivers playground / heaven. If none of you have ever had a real opportunity to use your ACD then you haven't used your car for its true purpose. It is a rally car. Jeremy said it best: "...It's a turbo charged, computerized, 4-wheel drive, road going rally car..." - TopGear.com. So get out there and enjoy your cars. Be responsible but have fun!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

whats up!

i saw that you posted a reply on my thread about el mirage, do you come out here often? to answer your question, borrego (springs/canyon) it going up palm springs, which ive been there before, not in an evo but other cars, nothing really over there.

where we go is up the 15fwy towards victorville, if your interested in having some fun up there, its well worth the drive from oceanside

go here for map
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=ca&2z=&r=f
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

by the way, my buddies got rolled by

fish and game rangers out there, stating to stop doing what they were doing (el mirage) because of all the people on the weekends, my friend jason asked if they can just go fast on the bed, the ranger said prefferably not on weekends, as a fatality can occur due to moto riders and other desert junkies out there, so best time is WEEKDAYS, weekends your more likely to get rolled by rangers as they patrol the area, thats why I showed a couple to rabbit, where theres never ever anyone there, only in the morning and its just an evo playground, hopefully I get to show evoreveur someday. :\
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

I may take you up on it. The only thing is that I will have to give up riding my bike for that weekend.... that may be a hard thing for me to give up. I rip up Palomar Mountain almost every weekend and a few times I've taken the Evo.... which has wreaked havoc on my tires. I need to take it easy on the expenses because I have to move across the country soon and I'm hoping that my Yoko's will do the job. My tire budjet is spread between the WRX and Evo and the R Compound that I run on my bike.

I definately want one last good Cali-style dirt blast in the Evo before I move to the sad lands of North Carolina.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mmelmann; Nov 26, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

where is this in relation to the bay area or santa cruz?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpnSprt
where is this in relation to the bay area or santa cruz?
NE of LA. Check out his mapquest.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

i wish i had a place like that to drive! correct me if im wrong but aren't evos/wrxs rally cars? why are people b****ing bout gettin them dirty?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

theres some guys that think these cars are for ricer racing

el mirage/ rabbit dry lake bed is about 30 minutes north of where the 15 and the 215 meet....

if you guys are inquisitive about the whereabouts:

The latitude of El Mirage is 34.602N. The longitude is -117.63W. It is in the Pacific Standard time zone. Elevation is 2,913 feet.

many movies are filmed there and airplanes land there alot, too much commotion for me, i like RABBIT!

theres people flying radio control aircraft at rabbit in the mornings, on weekends usually and left around 12pm, heres a video of rabbit dry lake bed

(general idea video of dry lake bed, ignore the objects in video and just look at the bed )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MxcK7gqZ0o
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Dam that looks fun. Glad to see you are using the car to the full potential.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:36 AM

i wish i had somewhere up here in washington to go out and have fun like that.....it does nothing but rain half the d@mn time up here anyway. way to go guys!!!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:57 PM

Yeah buddy im there i should be able to make it for the next one
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thats exactly what I plan on doing once I get my Evo. Way to drive the car the way its supposed to be driven. Too many Evolutions are "asphalt babies" and will never see dirt or snow. I would love to join you guys once I purchace my car, I was actually through that area on the way to Utah this past week and though how cool it would be to find a dry lake bed around the area.

Quick Reply: Rabbit Dry lake bed fun 2 evos 1 sti