Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone had luck with fighting "paced" speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone who only says that he should just slow down, is completely missing the point. You don't see that there can be much larger repercussions for someone doing over 80 than over 70?; and as a result of this, someone wants to fight to avoid the time and money that ensues the 80+mph ticket that they didn’t earn?

Last edited by Carloverx; Nov 28, 2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

The 55mph speed limit is ridiculous. It is rarely obeyed and actually causes incredibly congestion when it is. I can't find the video at the moment, but a few people went out on the road, lined up their cars and followed the speed limit exactly. The result? A wall of traffic that stretched miles and a lot of bad behavior on the motorists stuck behind them.

Chances are, if you get snagged for speeding and there are other people around you going faster the cop observed other bad driving behavior (unsafe lane change, etc.).

Either way, the cop was just doing his job. You were speeding and you were cited for it. It's your right to use any legal way to get out of it, but you shouldn't be that surprised it happened.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bad Boys,Bad Boys what you gonna do.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

what you going to do when they come for you

Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:10 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by Carloverx
anyone who only says that he should just slow down, is completely missing the point. You don't see that there can be much larger repercussions for someone doing over 80 than over 70?; and as a result of this, someone wants to fight to avoid the time and money that ensues the 80+mph ticket that they didn’t earn?
I completely agree....if they nail you for something you were not doing....FIGHT IT!!!! Fight it till the end. I just want people to realize that if they run above the limit, they are opening themselves to all sorts of problems. I also think 55 MPH is total crap, but in most of CT, that is what we deal with. Cars do 80 on average, so what is the answer? Raise the limit or stop giving tickets for 'minor' speed violations? I think a combo of the both would do just fine, IMO.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
get an attorney, don't count on an officer not showing up. 99% of them get time and a half for court and get paid for a few hours if they are even there for 10 minutes.

This guy is right, get an attorney. I beat a Bull****e reckless driving ticket in Philly this way. The cop said I was in excess of 90 mph and changing lanes eratically. When I asked where he came up with the speed, he said by pacing me. This was a huge offense, loss of licsence, several points , etc. Got a lawyer went to court and got it dropped to "driving to fast for conditions", no points. The ticket was ****e in my opinion. If your not doing 85mph on I-95 thru Philly you will get mowed over. I was doing about 75 max when I got pulled over. I had a turboed civic hatch at the time, the cop called it a "p.o.s jap car", LOL. Long story short, geta lawyer and you will beat it in court.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:26 PM

I got a reckless driving ticket a while back, sitting next to a cop car at a light... the funny thing is, I accelerated to 55 in about 4 seconds, but never exceeded 55. He pulled me over and I said, "officer, isn't the limit 55?" I beat it in court because the judge knew he was assuming I would exceed the limit.

Last edited by SASD209; Nov 28, 2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ominous24
sitting next to a cop car at a light... I accelerated to 55 in about 4 seconds
Whoa. Did you know he was there? You got some big stones, dude.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
These are actually harder to fight. Pacing is actually more accurate than radar.
no its not stupid

you gotta speed up faster to catch someone, therefore getting a much higher speed
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
what point are we missing? you should know the repercussions for speeding. fact of the matter is the thread starter said he was doing 70-75ish. if you want to avoid the time and money involved slow down.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Let me lay down some facts -- not terribly substantiated right now, but they're my 'observations.'

--Speeding is not high on the list of major factors to cause an accident. Anything attention related is at the top of factors linked to the accident.
--Speeding increases the severity of an accident.
--Ticketing for speeding gives something for our officers to do at times when they're on duty, but not terribly busy with a lead to follow. Can they find something else better to do? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
--Fines for speeding reflect a number high enough to keep the bureaucracy going, but low enough not to cause a general revolt.
--Pleading not-guilty and going to trial is the best thing we all can do in order to put pressure on judges, and law-enforcement to let them know that we want them to do a good job in keeping things safe and reasonable out there, regardless of a judge's decision or not.

Everybody clammors on speeding speeding speeding = bad, don't speed, you have to pay to play yada yada yada yada. But isn't it funny to see 1/2 of the driving population off of the road during a winter storm because they are doing 30mph which is 20mph too fast on a marked 55mph road. How many speeding tickets are given out then, hmmmm? No .. rather you see people pulled over for doing 65mph in a 55mph on a bright sunny summer day with light traffic and both the driver and the car are capable of doing so. Why? Because officers have a easier time going 100mph in order to catch this menace to society.

As a public, we should be asking for procedures and policies that make sense, not ways to line public officials pockets on something that 'if' they need a road tax, just make a daym road tax.

Regarding this OP ... plead not-guilty and do the best job you can in your case. Its hard to get used to the system, but you'll be one more doing a better civic duty than a lot of nay sayers, and self-righteous internet commentators.

~j.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alphex
A. Plead Not Guilty.
B. Hope the officer doesn't show, because if he does, you lose. Unless you get an attorney and he calls in some expert testimony like the officer needs glasses or something and wasn't wearing them that day, you're going to pay. Just deal with it, take traffic school and be glad he didn't nail you for a misdemeanor for being 25 mph over the limit. He could've nailed you for reckless driving even.

B.S.? I agree. Nonetheless you were speeding.

I was ticketed in a 2006 Malibu (not even my evo) for doing 75 in a 65 on an eight lane freeway while people were passing me. It feels so good to be picked on for no reason. I feel so warm inside...

I agree. I got lucky and the officer didn't show up and the Judge let me off but that doesn't happen always. One thing also keep moving the court date ahead and let your attorney handle it. You might get lucky otherwise just take your punishment.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

It's quite common to travel at 70-75mph speeds in Atlanta. Especially on I-85.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcnel_evo8
Let me lay down some facts -- not terribly substantiated right now, but they're my 'observations.'

--Speeding is not high on the list of major factors to cause an accident. Anything attention related is at the top of factors linked to the accident.
--Speeding increases the severity of an accident.

I dont no where you get your Facts but speeding is a major factor for acidents.

1. Your vehicle will lose control the faster you go.

2. You need a greater distance to slow down.

3. Others can miss judge your speed and pull out in front of you.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

plead not guilty enter a motion for discovery
request speedo calibration records for the police vehicle in question
if they are up to date, you are pretty much screwed unless you get an attorney. Arguing what you think the cop saw versus what he says he saw is best left to a pro.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Has anyone had luck with fighting "paced" speeding tickets?