Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone had luck with fighting "paced" speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had luck with fighting "paced" speeding tickets?

Just got a BS ticket for going 80 in a 55. The officer pulled me over and said he "paced" me going 80. Now that's is not fair because I know the speed limit in the zone he pulled me over and at the fastest I was reaching near 70-75ish. I asked to see a radar b/c my Passport never gave me a signal, and the officer told me he paced me. Has anyone had luck fighting these tickets off? I'd figured it would be easier to fight it b/c he has no hard proof like a radar. Please let me know, any help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

These are actually harder to fight. Pacing is actually more accurate than radar.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

how far back was he behind youwhen he paced you? you could always call into question his depth perception which is the only way he could pace you. i.e. if he was 3 car lengths behind you its easy to see how fast you are going relative to him. but if hes 50 car lengths back, a fluctuation of a few car lenths can mean the difference between 75 and 80 when your not using cruise. odds are if he was a ways back he couldn't accurately gauge how fast your are going within absolute certainty. but i'm not a lawyer. if you want to fight the ticket, get one.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:45 AM

just tell the judge its a lancer, and its not capable of traveling that fast.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heSOshAdy
Just got a BS ticket for going 80 in a 55. The officer pulled me over and said he "paced" me going 80. Now that's is not fair because I know the speed limit in the zone he pulled me over and at the fastest I was reaching near 70-75ish. I asked to see a radar b/c my Passport never gave me a signal, and the officer told me he paced me. Has anyone had luck fighting these tickets off? I'd figured it would be easier to fight it b/c he has no hard proof like a radar. Please let me know, any help would be much appreciated.

Why dont you just stop speeding... 70-75 on a 50 is still speeding..
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea what he said ^^ Tell him its some 4cylinder pos...
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo637
Everyone does that on the highway, dont tell me you actually go 55...
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:00 PM

its 65mph in Ohio
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

YES!! I have won twice in court due to the fact that the police never get their speedometer calibrated. They have to prove in court that you were speeding and if they cannot produce a calibration certificate for their speedometer than you will win. Officers are supposed to calibrate their speedometer every month here in Georgia, but they never do. An uncalibrated speedometer can be off as much as 10mph or more..
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:07 PM

A. Plead Not Guilty.
B. Hope the officer doesn't show, because if he does, you lose. Unless you get an attorney and he calls in some expert testimony like the officer needs glasses or something and wasn't wearing them that day, you're going to pay. Just deal with it, take traffic school and be glad he didn't nail you for a misdemeanor for being 25 mph over the limit. He could've nailed you for reckless driving even.

B.S.? I agree. Nonetheless you were speeding.

I was ticketed in a 2006 Malibu (not even my evo) for doing 75 in a 65 on an eight lane freeway while people were passing me. It feels so good to be picked on for no reason. I feel so warm inside...
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superscout03
YES!! I have won twice in court due to the fact that the police never get their speedometer calibrated. They have to prove in court that you were speeding and if they cannot produce a calibration certificate for their speedometer than you will win. Officers are supposed to calibrate their speedometer every month here in Georgia, but they never do. An uncalibrated speedometer can be off as much as 10mph or more..
This argument about calibrated/non-calibrated speedometer sounds like a plausible argument which may allow you to win your case. It is possible that some speedometers may be off by as much as 10 mph at 70-80 mph.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I beat a pacing ticket. I was ticketed for doing 81 in a 65 at 3am on the PA turnpike with practically no one on the road. The cop was being "nice" and gave me a zero point 'failure to obey a traffic sign' ticket for $105. I had the spare time to contest a zero-point ticket, so I fought it! In court when asked about my speed, the officer told the judge that he didn't know the exact number but it would've been above 80 for him to pull me over at that time of the night.

My argument to the judge was that the cop was at least 30 yards back, and that he couldn't accurately determine my speed at that distance. I claimed to have been traveling between 70 and 75. At that point the judge said that it is still illegal to travel 6mph over the posted limit. I quickly replied that the officer himself stated that they don't normally pull people over for less than 15mph over the limit at that time of the night.

The judge pondered for a moment and then told me that she would give me the benefit of the doubt, and then told me to slow down.

My best advice would be to question how accurately he determined your speed. In my opinion if they are far back (30+ yards), their measurement can't be that accurate. Beating a speeding ticket is a great feeling.

Stand up and fight against the involuntary taxation know as speeding tickets!

Originally Posted by evo637
I wanted to respond to this comment. If you don't enjoy a little spirited driving every once and again, why would you buy an EVO?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

get an attorney, don't count on an officer not showing up. 99% of them get time and a half for court and get paid for a few hours if they are even there for 10 minutes.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

why dont you just slow down. you said yourself the fastest you went was 70-75ish in a 55mph zone. im tired of these threads of people wondering why they got pulled over for speeding and complain. you wouldnt have this problem if you just slowed down
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:58 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by evo150
why dont you just slow down. you said yourself the fastest you went was 70-75ish in a 55mph zone. im tired of these threads of people wondering why they got pulled over for speeding and complain. you wouldnt have this problem if you just slowed down
^^ Pretty much. I drive 'spirited' at times, but you won't hear me on here talking about 'BS tickets' or 'a$$hole cops' or anything like that. You want to go fast? Then you need to be ready to deal with it. If you're going to do 60 in a 55 (for example) and get caught, it doesn't matter how many other people were going faster, or how your were keeping pace with traffic. 1 MPH over the limit is AGAINST THE LAW. I say, fight it and see what happens. That is your right. But if you get tagged for it in the end, deal with it and move on. Do not come back here and complain. Remember, you have to pay to play!! Just my humble and experienced opinion.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had luck with fighting "paced" speeding tickets?