Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

want to hit high 11's before pulling engine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewblueeye
Here is something i was wondernig about. I would say 1 or of 3 times i go WOT (at the track and on the street) my throttle sticks. But see it isnt like normal throttle sticking because when i press the clutch in and when it is sticking the RPMs stay exactly at what i was at in gear. They DONT go any higher. so i am a little confused about that. if i didnt explain that good enough just tell me and i will explain in better detail.
mine does that as well from time to time. if anyone knows why this happens please add to the thread
Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

i'm not having this problem but this is a very interesting thread. anyone??
Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

btw the way, no one has asked (or i missed it)

but why are you pulling the motor?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Ok here are a few things

1. I think that maybe one of my problems is the tires. so i agree with you guys. because i do spin them when i take off. I could even spin them when i had the Advans on the car. So i think i should get an extra set of rims and put some great drag tires. i was looking at "Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position" on tirerack.com. they have a 9.6 out of 10 for dry traction. and they have good rating for all the others except snow ofcourse. Anyone else try those??

2. Yes, i had my cams in when i got my custom tune. I have not upgrade the car since the last tune. so it had everything on that i listed when i got my custom tune.

3. Yes, the code is still there. it just stays on now. it has been on for a long time. if i reset it then it will only be off until i drive my car for 1 or 2 minutes then it comes back on.

4. I am shifting between 6800 RPMs to 7000 RPMs. Is this what i should be doing?

thanks for your suggestions. i check this post 2 to 3 times a day so keep the ideas coming
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Oh I am pulling the motor for two reasons.

1. I am going to put a stroker kit engine with a bigger turbo in my evo

2. I bought a 1991 Ford Festiva. It is my project car and i want to put this 05 Evo engine in it. I know it is alot of work to modify, but i got all the time in the world. And think it will be a fun little car when i am done
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

you're nuts but good luck!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. I have not.

3. I have not heard of many 05s with the p0300 code, I thought it was an 03/04 thing (?)

4. Do you have your dyno sheet? Take a look at the curve for drop off. With cams though you may be able to get some more out of the top end.

--

1. Your going to buy a whole new motor - block, heads, etc.? Do you have a money tree? -- you do know you can stroke your motor you have now for way less, right?

2. Personally, thats a really really ugly car to put an Evo motor in What about a Ford Focus (since you mentioned Ford) or something else? Haha, what about a mid 80s-90s Ford Mustang, those came with a I4 in the base model (I think - Im a Chevy guy though..) That would be damn cool - 4g63T Mustang ??
Old Dec 1, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By any chance did you get it tuned at 6000ft elev. or 1100? I would think that an elevation change of that magnitude might need a retune.

Try shifting higher, with your mods and cams you should shift at 7200-7400rpm's, hard to tell for sure without a dyno graph.

Also your tires might be hurting your 1/4 times alittle but there not going to cause that bad of trap speeds. You should be trapping mid teen's not 109, thats a 5-6mph difference.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

A money tree? oh yeah i got one in my backyard, i bought it at the local green house, it was their last one. WHAT? dont you have one??? lol

anyway yes i know that i can stroke this engine. i was kind of thinking about it before i drop it in the festiva. the reason for the ford festiva is because with the stock engine it weighs about 1700 LB. so i figure by taking out the stock enginge and putting in a 4g63 with a turbo system and tranny, customizing an AWD system using the Evo stock differential.... I know i know alot of work, i figure that it may take a few years, but like i said its a projet car and i got all the time in the world. after i am done the car will weigh around 2300 lb. then to gut out the interior a little but still leave a driver and passenger seat, and keep it street legal. i should be able to keep the car around 2100 to 2200 lb. i will have to modify the fenders and fender wells... anyway yes alot of work. either way a Ford Festiva weighing 2200 lb with a 4g63 pushing 28 psi. just gives me something to do.

anyway back to the problem at handle. going to get my hands on a logger and look at the TPS tonight, and hopefully get to the TB tonight too. got so busy last night with work
Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I did my compression test. here is my results

Cylinder 1 - 180 psi
Cylinder 2 - 180 psi
Cylinder 3 - 180 psi
Cylinder 4 - 186 psi

Yes I have done a compression test before, numberous times. I know my Compression gauge is accurate. It is a Mac Tools gauge.

Also I looked at my Throttle body and it IS opening all the way.

One thing i was concerned about is that my throttle cable seemed loose at the clip on the front of the enigine. It could slide back and forth through the clip. So i pressed down on the clip so it held it tighter (not too tight thought to affect the cable inside).

I have attached a picture of where the cable was sliding. The gas pedal does seem tigher now, not so loose. Kind of seems like it has more responces quicker but that could be my imagination.
Attached Thumbnails want to hit high 11's before pulling engine-dsc006402.jpg  
Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

I got tuned at 6000 ft BUT i discussed this with Al from dynoflash and he said it wouldnt be a problem and that he would compensate for the elevation difference. On the dyno he got a a 32 HP difference from my mail-in flash to the custom flash. I can notice a HUGE difference.

After i did my compression test i pulled the battery cable off to reset my SES light. and it stayed off for about 11 miles then came back on... just dont know what else to do about it.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Here is something i was wondernig about. I would say 1 or of 3 times i go WOT (at the track and on the street) my throttle sticks. But see it isnt like normal throttle sticking because when i press the clutch in and when it is sticking the RPMs stay exactly at what i was at in gear. They DONT go any higher. so i am a little confused about that. if i didnt explain that good enough just tell me and i will explain in better detail.
Yes guys, this is normal for 2005, and i think IX's as well. I know for a fact that all 2005's do that, even stock, and yes it sucks. Ask Warr, we have talked about it before.

You know i just dont know anymore. I would say its a 50/50 anymore. Half the people say my car is running fine and the other half says it is running really weak. I just dont know what ot think anymore. i would like to find an EVO with the same mods as me and drive his/her car just to see if there is a difference. Sorry just venting i am just stressed about it anymore
We already went over this, and it is actually kind of tiresom that you made another thread on pretty much the same thing. Though before it was on your low dyno #'s, and now it's your low track times.

Why everyone is 50/50 on this car is because it does run completely fine, and has no pitfalls at all; and you as well as many other have proven this by running every concievable test on that car. Though at the same time, it is very slow for the mods, and is very low on power; which is hard for everyone to grasp because this is the first and only case of an Evo doing this in such an extreme way.

The only way you are ever going to solve this problem, is by getting in a new Evo. Take off your performance parts, swap them for stock, and get in a new Evo. Run those same parts in a different Evo and i promise you, you will run low 11's. The car is just extremely slow, and no you aren't going to find and mechanical problems,,, again...
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Could be the floor mat or throttle body shaft seals or kinked cable assembly.

edit: not sure as to what or who I was replying to. sorry.

Last edited by boscoyo; Dec 7, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

well i am soooo sorry for wasting your time AGAIN. but it just doesnt make sence. if at the track before i even upgraded anything I was running 13.8 then after thousands of dollars i am running 12.5 and you are telling me it is just my car? im sorry i dont buy that. And i dont buy that i need a new EVO. If it is running slower than other Evos it can be fixed. There is something that is making it run slower, it isnt just God saying "Oh I am going to mess with him." There is a lodgical thing that is wrong. And i just dont buy the fact that it is the whole car. It may be the motor, It could be a gear, it could be alot of things and i will find it. If i need a new engine then i will buy a new one, if i need a new tranny then i will buy a new one. Im sorry i just dont give up like other people, think that is why I consider myself a good mechanic.

And to the next reply.... Thank you for your ideas. But unfortunately it isnt the floor mat, i had that removed when it was dynoed and when i am at the track. It could possibly be a TB gasket. I did do a pressure test though on the system and it comes up with no leaks. But it is out there somewhere
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I have a question about the tune that I don't think has been asked before.

You said it was tuned on 93 octane, and for 21 psi. Yet you are running 25 psi at the track on 103 octane. Granted, you are slightly faster because of the higher boost, but I bet you are pulling timing since you ARE NOT tuned for 25psi.

To get the most out of your 25psi boost level, you need to be tuned for it!! When you get tuned, you don't get a tune for 22 psi, add alky, and then say just up the boost when you have alky on. You get tuned for the alky to maximize your setup!!

I don't think it's your car at all. I don't think it has much to do with the tires either if you are pulling 1.7's.

I think there is alot to the driver mod as they call it. I am not very good either, and know my car can go much faster with someone else driving. It's just the way it is. Practice practice.