Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How do you hold on to your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One hand on the wheel, and the other on your mom.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph
9 and 3

Like this:

def. 9 and 3 when getting ready to embaress somebody but usually left hand on 12 right hand just chillen...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
Actually 9 and 3 to me feels like most control and feedback and more direct. 10 and 2 is what they teach in driver's ed, but if you watch racing videos, most of the time they have it at 9 and 3 with the thumbs curling slightly into the little indentations in the wheel/spokes where the side spokes meet the wheel. That's what those round indentations are there for - to prevent hand slippage by using your thumbs. Plus, to me 10 and 2 feels like my arms are making the wheel sway due to their weight resting above the pivot point. Most people feel weird and unnatural when i teach them 9 and 3 method, but once you get used it, you prolly won't go back to 10 and 2.
and please guys, don't drive with just one hand anywhere below the pivot point, it is dangerous and you might not have enough time to grab in a better position when something happens, plus you can only turn the wheel far enough in one direction that way.
it cracks me up to see guys at an arcade driving with one hand and trying to play a rally game or a racing sim, they fail miserably.

+1
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Actually 9 and 3 to me feels like most control and feedback and more direct. 10 and 2 is what they teach in driver's ed, but if you watch racing videos, most of the time they have it at 9 and 3 with the thumbs curling slightly into the little indentations in the wheel/spokes where the side spokes meet the wheel. That's what those round indentations are there for - to prevent hand slippage by using your thumbs. Plus, to me 10 and 2 feels like my arms are making the wheel sway due to their weight resting above the pivot point. Most people feel weird and unnatural when i teach them 9 and 3 method, but once you get used it, you prolly won't go back to 10 and 2.
I know I won't.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mighty Healthy
one hand at the top wit the seat back in a hella gangsta lean...

same
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jax419
10 and 2 feels the best but when im lazy just 1 hand on the bottom area..
werd
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GinuwineEvo8
+1
Off topic-- LOVE the avatar!!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

i can't stand holding 10 and 2, it doesn't feel right to me. 9 and 3 for me all of the time, but unless i'm city driving, i just keep my right hand on the shifter in case i need to shift.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends how im feeling

crusing...left hand at 6:30 - 8:00 ish

driving agressive/spirited i'm somewhere between 9 and 10:30 (where the bump in the steering wheel is)
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

a single finger somewhere on the wheel
God bless awd
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:57 PM

and please guys, don't drive with just one hand anywhere below the pivot point, it is dangerous and you might not have enough time to grab in a better position when something happens, plus you can only turn the wheel far enough in one direction that way.

I agree, except that the 9 and 3 positions have always felt the most comfortable to me, at least in the Evo.

When I really started getting more into automobiles and racing a few years ago, I noticed all the drivers holding the wheels at the 9 and 3 positions, so I went and retrained myself to hold the wheel correctly. It took about a week or two, but now it's automatic and it actually feels weird to hold the wheel any other way.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:24 PM

Actually 9 and 3 to me feels like most control and feedback and more direct. 10 and 2 is what they teach in driver's ed...
Actually, when I took the course through the Alberta Motor Association, they taught 9 and 3 style. If you're at 9 and 3 and in a collision with the wheel straight, your body will influence the motion on the steering wheel less as you're pulling along the steering column axis. If you're above or below the steering column axis, as your body gets a few g-forces on it you could inavertantly pull up or down on the wheel, thus changing direction of your vehicle and giving your body more motion to move.

When I took a "track day" they mentioned "so, what happens when you crash?" Well, the airbag explodes, hits your forearms as you are gripping at 11 and 1 and smacks you in the head. The bones in your arms might not be that good of a cushion for your skull.

9 and 3 when I'm driving properly. 10 and 2 if I'm lazy. 11 and 1 with thumbs touching if I want to be COOOLLL. Ow! My forehead.

And yes, +1 to the control and feedback issues that you presented

All: Consider seat position as well when considering hand position. Sitting upright with maximum human vs car contact yeilds better control, better feedback, better driving.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

good post man. when i mentioned driver's ed, i meant DMV style, where they only teach basic stuff. too bad most performance car drivers don't get to learn from racing instructors.
seating position kinda sucks for me, my lower back starts to get tired and starts ti hurt really quickly when sitting too upright. so i kinda have to lean the seat back a lil more. but i keep my upper back more upright still, so i don't look mad 1337 stunna when i drive.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

i do 6 9 thats my favor position.....to hold the wheel.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 09:16 PM
Account Disabled

10 and 2
or
11 and 4