Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How do you hold on to your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
left hand at 9oclock, right hand at 3oclock (unless i'm shifting). just feels natural especially when you're going 175...
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
Actually 9 and 3 to me feels like most control and feedback and more direct. 10 and 2 is what they teach in driver's ed, but if you watch racing videos, most of the time they have it at 9 and 3 with the thumbs curling slightly into the little indentations in the wheel/spokes where the side spokes meet the wheel. That's what those round indentations are there for - to prevent hand slippage by using your thumbs. Plus, to me 10 and 2 feels like my arms are making the wheel sway due to their weight resting above the pivot point. Most people feel weird and unnatural when i teach them 9 and 3 method, but once you get used it, you prolly won't go back to 10 and 2.
and please guys, don't drive with just one hand anywhere below the pivot point, it is dangerous and you might not have enough time to grab in a better position when something happens, plus you can only turn the wheel far enough in one direction that way.
it cracks me up to see guys at an arcade driving with one hand and trying to play a rally game or a racing sim, they fail miserably.
+1, after doing a few driving events and such, you really realize the benefit of 9 and 3, its a great feel and manueverability.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

9 and 3 when the boost comes in...when ready to switch gears, 9 only obviously. When cruising, right hand over the gear, left hand at 12.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
well, i'm only 5'7'ish, so i'm pretty close to the original intended height for these seats...
...US is actually lucky to have 14gal, the euro and jap versions have even smaller tank because of the AYC equipment taking up room.
I'm about average height (5'8"?), that's probably why I don't have a problem with it. I like the seats Actually, my '03 has a 12 gallon fuel tank. This is something they apparently changed in '04, according to the dealer. You're right, its a track car. You can probably get coast to coast on a full tank of gas in Japan LOL. Was never designed for a 5 day trek across North America. I just want a Japan/Euro spec'd version with a 14 gallon fuel tank What was the original thread? Oh ya, hand positions 9 and 3.