Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

12 hour ownership EVO review...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 12 hour ownership EVO review...

After over 9 months of torturing myself over what car to buy, I finally went out and purchased an '03 EVO Thursday. I just never could make up my mind, I wanted to wait for the EVO in the first place, but then when the '04 WRX restyle was displayed I really liked it, then the STi announcement... I was SOOOO confused!

Well, after sitting in '04 WRXs and EVOs it was clear that the EVO simply fit my 6'4" AMERICANIZED (hehehe, code for fat-azz) frame alot better. It has much more head and leg room, and the EVO seats are more comfortable than the stock '04 WRX seats... I decided not to wait for the STi.

So I bought a white EVO with sunroof and big spoiler (no choice on the spoiler, they don't freakin make any WITHOUT the big spoiler option!) for $812 under MSRP... It was still on the truck though, so I couldn't actually pick it until Saturday morning.

I bought it over the phone from a dealer in Springfield, MO... I live in St. Louis, MO but not ONE of the dealers here was serious about selling me an EVO for even MSRP, most wanted over MSRP due to ridiculous tack-ons like stickers and mudflaps that ran the cost up over $1000. For those reasons (and the $800+ discount)I was willing to drive 3 hours and pick up my car out of the area. I picked it up Saturday at about noon.

I can't really explain how pumped I am. The car is utterly incredible. They made me sit down and watch this video when I purchased it, it explained all the extra attention that an EVO takes over a "normal" car, stuff like Mobil1 full-syn oil only every 5k, 5k tire rotations, alternate tires and wheels for snow driving (gotta start saving for those now!), minimizing brake usage the first 200 miles, don't go over 5k on the tach for 600 miles, warm up and cool down the car before driving it, stuff like that. Kinda a lame sales video actually, trying to get you to sign up for a $650+ Mitsubishi "Pit Pass" so all these maintenace chores are pre-paid.

Had a long drive back in the car, anmost 4 hours pokin'g along at 60mph in rainy weather and heavy traffic on I-44. Used only about a half a tank of gas on the trip, not bad gas mileage at all!! It does about 3000rpm at 70mph.

The seats are interesting. Plopping down in them and jumping on the highway, the first 30 minutes I squirmed quite a bit. The seat poked me in the left kidney pretty good at first with the bolster, but after the 1st half hour driving I think the seat "broke in" (or maybe my kidney did!) and I actually found the seat really comfortable for the other 3.5 hours in the trip. The seats should NOT be a problem for any kind of extended trip.

There is PLENTY of head and legroom in the car, it is FAR roomier than my Camaro from the driver's seat.

The suspension is pretty hard, it rides rougher than my Camaro with KONIs and EIBACHs, but its still not that bad... certainly not as bad as I had envisioned via the magazine arcticles... the suspension and short wheelbase might make a long trip down a really rough highway pretty painful, but on a normal highway the car ROCKS! The I-44 trip was GREAT. The steering seems almost telepathic, if you even THINK about turning, it does it. The steering is VERY sharp, however it tracks straight and true (not skitterish at all) and has an absolute perfect "power steering" rates - it simply feels like manual steering (a very good thing) once you start moving. I love it!

I haven't played too much with the power, I want to break it in first. The turbo is pretty cool though, this car has MUCH more power than the WRXs I demo'ed and drove, it has really good power down low too, it pulls from even 2k rpm, and at 3k on the highway PUNCHING it results in some serious turbo howl and EXCELLENT passing power

Another interesting thing I noticed on the trip, people in other cars just LOVE to stare at the front wheels. I'm guessing that it's the red Brembos that are drawing their attention and fascinating them. I need to loan my EVO to someone so I can check out the view of the Brembos while rolling, see whats so interesting to everyone. I got lots of waves and thumbs up on the trip too.

I'll snap some picks tomorrow and post them.

Old May 18, 2003, 06:02 AM

Cool deal. Congrats on the car. Did you keep the z28? I'm currently trying to sell mine, just to save some cash for something new.
Old May 18, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats. I came from 4 years in an LS1 myself. 1998 Camaro SS w/Y2Y package. I love my Evo, there is no comparison. I don't miss the Camaro at all.
Old May 18, 2003, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

The Z28 & SS are nice cars, but even after only 1 day of EVO ownership I can already state honestly that there really is no comparison between the two. The EVO is clearly superior in so MANY ways.

I kept my Camaro, but now I am having some 2nd thoughts about that... I will likely get rid of it pretty soon just because I likely wont be driving it much at all. Owning both seems kind of redundant. Maybe a Z06 would be a better choice for me in a 2nd car!! (kidding) more likely I'll trade the Camaro for a nice 1 or 2 year old highway cruiser car, something like a Caddy CTS or maybe a G35 or Maxima
Old May 18, 2003, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the car Spike LS1! I went through a similar period of uncertainty and at one point had deposits on both STi and EVO.

I have about 3500 miles on my EVO now, and even though its still stock I still love every minute behind the wheel!I think you will be very happy with your decision!

BTW you are the only other EVO owner I have run across on this board from St. Louis. I live out in Warrenton, so we will have to hook-up some time.
If you see a Lightning Yellow EVO out in the Westward direction thats probably me.The only downside to owning an EVO in Missouri is trying to find a gunrack that fits;-)All joking aside Missouri is the kingdom of insects and the friggin bugs in the FMIC are a *****.. so get ready for some fun!

I make lots of runs down 94 through Defiance, Augusta, etc...... . This car was made for those kind of roads!!!

Here's my email for future reference:
jredding@usmo.com
Old May 18, 2003, 02:07 PM

Lots of former LS1 people! I had a '99 Firebird Formula before the Evo.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Congrat on the evo...

^_^
Old May 18, 2003, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, they made me watch that video too, I think they make everyone who's getting it watch it. And how come no one told me about the PitPass? I wasn't able to get it cuz I wasn't expecting the extra expense. But I will go back next week and get it, plus lojack.
Old May 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

You'll have to forgive the grainyness and drabness of these pics, the weather this morning SUCKED... I'll get some better (sunshine!!) pics this week with a better background and post them.

Old May 18, 2003, 07:07 PM

i love the white. im waiting on a white one without the sunroof. supposedly the ship date is 5/20. my friend got his black 8 on 4/3 and i went with him to pick it up. followed him home and the cool thing is is that at speed the only thing you see when you look from a side view is the red brembos and the disks since the spokes on the rims become "invisible". definently looks sweet.
Old May 18, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

white is definitely a good color on the EVO...
Old May 18, 2003, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats. Great looking car.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:53 PM

Damn, white does look nice. White and black are my favs.