Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

corn powered MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fricci4993
What is entailed in the converstion to E85? Anybody know?........PVD04?
You need to upgrade your fuel system (fuel pump and injectors) and retune. I am currently running 30 psi on the White Rabbit with the same ignition timing I was running at 22 psi on 93 Octane. I am also maxing out my 780 cc injectors whereas they were at only 65% duty cycle with the 93 octane. If I had been planning for E85 when I bought the injectors I would have gone bigger.

-Paul
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

very interesting, i would think to do that also, unforunately ethanol is fuel here in south florida that is not sold anywhere. at least anywhere i know of.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Paul....mine is also a commuter car, and may seem worth the converstion... I just don;t know where to look for fueling stations here in California? Any ideas for a station locator?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

I have a FP already...do I just need to up the inj to say......1000 cc's? Then get a tune?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
As fare as the environment is concerned, alternative fuels derived from crops are a waste of time (imo). Hybrid cars should be the only thing worth pursuing at this point. The land it would take to produce enough crops to sustain a large society, could be used in much more productive ways. For example, wind powered generators. They would produce larges amounts of power, create fewer emissions, and take up less space. People can come home and plug there cars in every night.
I disagree. First off, have you seen the windmill fields? Theyre not small by any means. They don't just put one in the middle of a field, they put hundreds. Plus, putting all your eggs in one basket (for lack of a better cliche) is a very bad thing. The key is to have many efficient options.

Then there is cost. The cost of hybids do not pay themselves off for many years in terms of MPG, for the reason that batteries are expensive, driving the cost of the car up. Also, the goal is to figure a way to not be reliant on gasoline, which hybrids still do.

E85 has a performance value that cannot be matched by batteries(efficiently) Yes, they have made powerful cars with batteries, BUT they're heavy and cannot sustain for the same distances as E85 and gasoline. From what I understand, INDY is switching to a 100% E85 next season. Something that will never happen with batteries unless they can make a battery weigh ounces. I could go on...but i wont
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fricci4993
Thanks Paul....mine is also a commuter car, and may seem worth the converstion... I just don;t know where to look for fueling stations here in California? Any ideas for a station locator?
http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php has a station locator. As far as injectors, 1000 cc would probably be good as they would allow enough headroom for stock and most upgraded turbos and are just small enough that they can be used with the stock ECU without significant problems. On pump gas I had my 780cc injectors scaled to 713 and I rescaled them to 585 for the E85, so it uses significantly more fuel.

-Paul
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man...that site helped! It showed me that the nearest gas station is 111 miles away... I do appreciate the insight...I wil do it, when it is more accessible....thanks again
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heheh the closest one to me is 5 miles away? Would you be able to run higher boost with this E85 or is tthat a no no?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I bet we will never get e85 over here in Japan
Old Dec 2, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jax419
heheh the closest one to me is 5 miles away? Would you be able to run higher boost with this E85 or is tthat a no no?
I'm running 30 psi on E85 right now without any knock. I would recommend doing a lot of research before you take the jump in to E85. You should also feel very comfortable tuning your car before trying it.

-Paul
Old Dec 2, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

This looks interesting.
How easy is it to switch back to regular fuel?
I know OEM cars can use either fuel, that will be much better unless more gas stations start to pop up.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this is actually pretty cool!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supersupra
This looks interesting.
How easy is it to switch back to regular fuel?
I know OEM cars can use either fuel, that will be much better unless more gas stations start to pop up.
yeah thats pretty much what i was wondering, i would buy the injectors/FP/tune, but how easy would it be to switch back over to 93? i would guess it would need to be retuned.

Thanks Travis
Old Dec 2, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fuck corn. Sugar is so much stronger and far better to use, but we use Corn, why? Why is it that Third world South American Nations can be 100% energy independent and grow superior crops to produce fuel while we cannot? I swear it's the corporations.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

^^ High_PSI^^

Guess I'm not the only TOOL fan
Like the avatar