Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Staggered wheel setup on an Evo? A no no?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Staggered wheel setup on an Evo? A no no?

Most likely a very noobish question but im unfamiliar with how us owners are "supposed" to run offsets and widths. Is it illogical to run a wider wheel and a more aggressive offset in the rear? Ive seen the exact oposite and im assuming that doing it my suggested way will throw off the car's balance and handling. What if i dont plan to autox the car? Then does it matter?

Any input is welcome and thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:02 PM

with your question, if you mean running tires wider than the ones on the front [ie, g35, supra, etc] then thats a BIG no no. doing this on an awd will break your drivetain apart from what i know. maybe the more experienced ppl will tell u better.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

always run the same size tires on awd. Period!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danny23
always run the same size tires on awd. Period!

that refers to circumference of the tires....how would diff width hurt? not doubting, just an explanation would be good...other than "dont do it"
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think its more about the clearances you have..

as long as the circumference of the tires is the same, there's no reason why you "Couldn't" do it.. But being the car is AWD, its generally accepted that you run the same size and offset wheels.

There are some tuning shops in japan that are actually running wider wheels in the front than back.. And there are some guys who have wheels with a different offset in the rear than the front, so they look like their wider, when their the same size.

Its preferrable to leave the same size all around though.. Since you can rotate the wheels front to back to keep wear even..
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
that refers to circumference of the tires....how would diff width hurt? not doubting, just an explanation would be good...other than "dont do it"
different width means that even with the same aspect ratio f/b, circumference will be different front to back. one thing that you can do is use different aspect ratio so that overall circumference will match, but then there's also tire pressure that determines the circumference. too many factors contributing to the circumference to keep control of them all. (to me at least)

Last edited by JoizeeX; Dec 3, 2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using Different sized tires in the front and rear can Damage your Transfer Case, Try to keep your tires wear even by rotating them every oil change (rember that advans are rotational so they should not be crossed left to right, only move them front to back.) Even using a different brand in the front and back can cause wear and damage to the transfer case, only replace your tires in a set of 4 and DO NOT use a small temporary tire use the one in your trunk if you get a flat. Tow the Car with a Flatbed.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Dec 3, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Using Different sized tires in the front and rear can Damage your Transfer Case, Try to keep your tires wear even by rotating them every oil change (rember that advans are rotational so they should not be crossed left to right, only move them front to back.) Even using a different brand in the front and back can cause wear and damage to the transfer case, only replace your tires in a set of 4 and DO NOT use the small temporary tire in your trunk if you get a flat. Tow the Car with a Flatbed.
funny thing about the donut - you CAN use it in the front if you have an open front differential, BUT, you don't want it in the front because of the need to steer and heavier weight distribution. having it in the front won't affect the center diff if the front diff is fully open.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no no I typed that Wrong
I meant not to use a random one only use the one in your trunk
Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
no no I typed that Wrong
I meant not to use a random one only use the one in your trunk
gotcha.
well, depending on the situation, you might not need to use it at all.
example: my rear pass. tire started loosing air at the end of its tread life. i don't know what caused it, as i couldn't find a hole or anything with visual inspection. however, i was able to drive around for a little while with 0psi in that tire! i didn't know it had no pressure until later. the sidewalls on the advans are sooo stiff, that it was sagging only a little bit! my friend also had similar experience on his wrx and the falken rt-215's. IMO it'll be even better for the drivetrain to get home with stock tire with no air pressure, than on a donut. of course in either case you have to go easy on steering/braking/accelerating.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

is not a-spec or one of the time trial cars running wider tires. iam preaty sure of this. they say it helps with the sliding out. os yes its been done and its not a negative. i dont think or know of anyone doing it for street. its a 60/40 spit is it?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Just today, I found pictures of this done to a car in Europe being displayed at the Essen Motor Show.

I can't say I recommend it though.

And I don't want to hear anyone tell me that those are the same wheels but with a different offset. Work doesn't offer different offsets for a given size of this wheel that would change the face of the wheel that much.

I'm 100% certain that this car has 18x8.5 et30 up front and 18x9.5 (unknown et) in the rear.

Last edited by Mike@Forge; Dec 3, 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Well here is my exact situation...tell me what you think...

Volk Racing CE28N.
Front: 18x9.5 +28

Rear: 18x9 +35

I personally think the setup looks "awkward' with a larger width wheel in the front and the lines of the car would much better compliment the 9.5's in the rear. So in this case the circumfrence is in fact the same, the only variations are offset and width.

Oh and i believe that those emotions above are the 18x9.5 +38 in the rear.

Last edited by Sap12687; Dec 4, 2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Dec 4, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Huh... you have different width wheels ALREADY? IF you go with the same size tires front to back, the fronts are going to be stretched a bit wider which may alter their overall diameter relative to the tires on the narrower wheels.

As someone mentioned, some of the japanese time attack cars run wider tires up front than the rears to help get rid of the understeer. Some people with 350z's and S2k's run wider than stock tires up front to get rid of understeer.

IMO, if you're doing this purely for looks, don't even bother with the hassle and possible damage to the drivetrain.

Last edited by spdracerut; Dec 4, 2006 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Staggered wheel setup on an Evo? A no no?