Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bad transfer case & wrong fluid = good court case?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad transfer case & wrong fluid = good court case?

So here is the deal. I have on 05 with 25k miles one it. At about 18k miles the stock clutch finally gave out and i upgraded to a ACT HD. A friend of mine said he knows a guy that owns a local shop and knows what he is doing, works on everything and is very careful while doing so. So i figure its only a clutch job, cant be to complicated for an expeiranced mechanic. I get the car back, everything is fine and no problems. Shortly after i install some goodies and make 325whp on the dyno and decide to take it to the track. After about 3 runs at the track i get the death whine/howl on the way home and figure more HP, racing clutch, 6k RPM launches what did i expect. I have been driving around with the howl for about 3 months and 5k miles now and it got worse yesterday out of nowhere. I have babied the car since the whine b/c i did not want to have to replace it in the winter months. So today i call Shep and he tells me that the TC should not of failed on me, to him it sounds like someone put the wrong fluid in when i got the clutch done. He goes on to tell me that is the main cause for failures with the TC's. So my next step is to call the mechanic who worked on my car, ask him what kind of fluid he put in my TC when he did the clutch and hope he says something other than DiaQueen LSD oil while i am recording the phone convo. If this does happen, do you think i would have a case in small claims court? $3200 for a new TC from Shep is not cheap and if this wasnt my fault i def dont want to pay for it. Any input or other options would be great, thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Doubtful.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on the size of you lawyer compared to his.

That is all that really matters in these things but it is just small claims court and he could always file for bankruptcy (sp) and never pay anything.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

can anyone elaborate more on why or why not i should try this? Im thinking about jus changing the fluid and hope it quites the noise and try and trade the car in for a new Civic SI or something, im getting sick of problems with cars.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

Recorded telephone conversations are usually inadmissable in court. In some states you may be able to use the conversation in court by begining the phone call with a statement saying that the phone call is being recorded. Does your reciept/service record have any info on the type of fluid used? Either way, calling him is a good idea... and try to remain calm
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I am assuming since i have mods bringing it to the dealer is out of the question. Maybe ill get lucky and the thing will fail on me while driving on the highway, lock up all 4 tires and i crash into a guard rail and sue the sh*t out of Mitsu or that mechanic lol
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05evoGSR
I am assuming since i have mods bringing it to the dealer is out of the question. Maybe ill get lucky and the thing will fail on me while driving on the highway, lock up all 4 tires and i crash into a guard rail and sue the sh*t out of Mitsu or that mechanic lol
Based on this post, I wouldn't mind if you wrecked either.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:17 AM

The same thing happpened to me at Engine Logics in Houston. I just had to suck it up and buy a new one because they deny causing the damage. 4k wasn't worth the legal time/trouble.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

No but for real, the thing still drives ok it just makes a loud noise. Is it basically safe to drive like an old lady till i get the time to fix the problem? Or might i end up locking all 4 tires up and killing myself?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chase123
The same thing happpened to me at Engine Logics in Houston. I just had to suck it up and buy a new one because they deny causing the damage. 4k wasn't worth the legal time/trouble.
+1 same thing happened to me just a couple of weeks ago by a local no name shop here.. Get new clutch put in, few days later it's leaking gear oil under car, put it on lift and the transfer case and bell housing have crack all the way around them.. Dealer and reputable shop both tell me it was an install error, but the no name shop that did it is denying everything so I ended up spending about 3400 for labor and a used trans case..

Last edited by mac_05evo; Dec 7, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chase123
well i dont know about you but 4k is a big deal to me, if i have to take a day or 2 off of work or do sum reasearching to get a case i will do so. If i had 4k to spare trust me, i wouldnt be b*tchin about this.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

what would my odds be on getting one from a junk yard? I know someone that works at a huge junkyard here in NJ and they get the majority of the cars from NJ. I wonder how much they would charge me to get one out of a wrecked 05.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Who was the shop? I live in NJ and I need to know who to avoid.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

it was a shop in Elizabeth on Elizabeth Ave., forget the name of it though. Im not saying he did bad work, for all i know he might have put DiaQueen back in the TC and i just broke it from driving hard. Until i give him a call i wont know for sure. I know that he had to order some gaskets or seals form Mitsu to do the clutch job so he may have gotten the QiaQueen also. It didnt say anything on the invoice what was used, just a total labor charge. This makes me wonder another thing, there are a lot of people that have the "death whine" with their TC's, did all of these people have the wrong fluid put in to cause this? How many are just abuse related?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Whin is from your TC but it's from you 6000 rpm launch. the stock clutch is made to slip to protcet the TC.

Quick Reply: bad transfer case & wrong fluid = good court case?