Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Sullenoid?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Sullenoid?

Ok I've tried searching and didn't come up with anything. Can someone explain to me the function of the stock boost sullenoid? I have a MBC so of course, my lines don't run to it anymore. The sullenoid is the little black plastic part that has two nipples coming from it right? And it has some sort of an electric plug to it? The reason I'm asking this question is because, recently as I was driving down the highway in fifth gear. When I pushed the gas down to go around someone, my car wouldn't really boost at all. It was kinda stuttering a bit. If that makes any sense. Then I noticed the check engine light came on. I got home and popped the hood and noticed that those two nipples were uncovered. I also have a nipple on the bottom of the stock turbo inlet pipe (rubber) that is unconvered. Me and a friend did the MBC installation and I was sure we covered these nipples. I'm hoping that covering these will fix my problem. And I'm pretty sure we didn't do the install incorrectly. My car doesn't always stutter like this though. Most of the time I can press the gas down in 5th and have no problems. Your help is appreciated. Flaming will be ignored so don't waste your keystrokes.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Assassin
Ok I've tried searching and didn't come up with anything. Can someone explain to me the function of the stock boost sullenoid? I have a MBC so of course, my lines don't run to it anymore. The sullenoid is the little black plastic part that has two nipples coming from it right? And it has some sort of an electric plug to it? The reason I'm asking this question is because, recently as I was driving down the highway in fifth gear. When I pushed the gas down to go around someone, my car wouldn't really boost at all. It was kinda stuttering a bit. If that makes any sense. Then I noticed the check engine light came on. I got home and popped the hood and noticed that those two nipples were uncovered. I also have a nipple on the bottom of the stock turbo inlet pipe (rubber) that is unconvered. Me and a friend did the MBC installation and I was sure we covered these nipples. I'm hoping that covering these will fix my problem. And I'm pretty sure we didn't do the install incorrectly. My car doesn't always stutter like this though. Most of the time I can press the gas down in 5th and have no problems. Your help is appreciated. Flaming will be ignored so don't waste your keystrokes.

I believe it vents boost pressure from the Boost line going to the Waste Gate Actuator (WGA) to lower the pressure in that line, the WGA won't open completely unil there is 8 psi in that boost line. I believe the other side of the line is connected to the Turbocharger's compressor housing, the nipple your talking about. The boost selonoid is mounted beneath the Factory Airbox, and its a Denso Style w/ a top mounted filter. If you Wish to use the MBC, I suggest routing a hose to the MBC from the WGA and Compressor housing, you should look in the MAnual or on the MBC to see which nipple goes to the WGA, the other one is connected to the Compressor housing. Make sure you Tune the Controller to the Fully open or minimal boost pressure and work from there, Stock would be good only to run 21 psi or less. people run 23 but you're gonna need more fuel and you're definetely gonna hit the factory cut off.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
I believe it vents boost pressure from the Boost line going to the Waste Gate Actuator (WGA) to lower the pressure in that line, the WGA won't open completely unil there is 8 psi in that boost line. I believe the other side of the line is connected to the Turbocharger's compressor housing, the nipple your talking about. The boost selonoid is mounted beneath the Factory Airbox, and its a Denso Style w/ a top mounted filter. If you Wish to use the MBC, I suggest routing a hose to the MBC from the WGA and Compressor housing, you should look in the MAnual or on the MBC to see which nipple goes to the WGA, the other one is connected to the Compressor housing. Make sure you Tune the Controller to the Fully open or minimal boost pressure and work from there, Stock would be good only to run 21 psi or less. people run 23 but you're gonna need more fuel and you're definetely gonna hit the factory cut off.

Yeah that's exactly how it's routed. Question is, will leaving the sullenoid unplugged cause any driveability issues?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I've tried searching and didn't come up with anything. Can someone explain to me the function of the stock boost sullenoid?

Don't take this the wrong way, as I do not mean it bad in any way, but you would probably have much better luck searching if you actually spelled things correctly.

Sullenoid?? Solenoid is the correct spelling.

Anyhow, 3SgteGuru seemed to have answered your questions.

Also, I have had my vacuum caps pop off the turbo outlet nipple millions of times. I clean the nipple off, put the cap on, zip tie it twice, and sometimes still manage to blow it off. I took some fine grit sandpaper and roughened up the nipple, and have not blown one off since then. You really do need to cap them off, especially the one on the turbo inlet pipe, because technically, it is an inlet for unmetered air into your intake tract. Even though it is a very small amount, you still are running a tiny bit leaner because more air is entering your system than what your MAF sees.

Now, the real question, did this only start AFTER you installed the MBC?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that's exactly how it's routed. Question is, will leaving the sullenoid unplugged cause any driveability issues?

Yes it will, Keep it plugged in and Get a 3" long Vaccum hose and plug it on both sides to keep stuff out of the selonoid.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I would assume so because your cars ECU will see a module (solenoid) that is not there, and think something wrong. Chances are your ECU is in limp (Safe) mode because of it not seeing the solenoid. Plug it back in, and your check engine light will more than likely go away.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

haha I guess spelling **** correctly WOULD help huh!!?? LOL

You said you had your cap come off the turbo outlet nipple? Sorry for the noob questions but which one is that? I do have hoses going from both the WGA and the Turbo nipple that's right there near the WGA. Which nipple do you speak of? Also, where can I get more caps for these things? Do you think the boost solenoid is causing my issue?

Oh yeah, and I've had the MBC for a good while now. Dunno how long the caps have been off though.

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Yes, I would assume so because your cars ECU will see a module (solenoid) that is not there, and think something wrong. Chances are your ECU is in limp (Safe) mode because of it not seeing the solenoid. Plug it back in, and your check engine light will more than likely go away.
The solenoid is not unplugged. The nipples just aren't capped.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

haha I guess spelling **** correctly WOULD help huh!!?? LOL

You said you had your cap come off the turbo outlet nipple? Sorry for the noob questions but which one is that? I do have hoses going from both the WGA and the Turbo nipple that's right there near the WGA. Which nipple do you speak of? Also, where can I get more caps for these things? Do you think the boost solenoid is causing my issue?

Oh yeah, and I've had the MBC for a good while now. Dunno how long the caps have been off though.

The solenoid is not unplugged. The nipples just aren't capped.

Ahh, my bad about the solenoid being plugged in. Reading comprehension is at a low because it's Monday...

There is a nipple on the turbo compressor housing itself, that was originally used as a boost reference point for the boost control solenoid. After you remove the stock boost controller lines, if you choose to use that point as your reference, then you don't need to cap it off. But, if you choose to use a different boost reference point like I did, you need to cap it off because you will be blowing air out of that nipple. It's a good idea to check them occasionally, as the vacuum caps have a tendancy to dry-rot from the engine bay heat, crack and fall off. I usually everytime I was the car, (I was the engine everytime I was the car too) I give everything a good look over, just to make sure nothing is out of place, fallen off etc... If you have all the nipples not covered/capped, I can see how it would start to affect driveability. Your turbo outlet nipple would be loosing metered air to atmosphere, the turbo inlet nipple would be sucking in unmetered air etc.. Eventually it would all add up and your car would start to run a little funny.

But, my setup is different than most peoples on here, hell, I might even venture to say my set-up is the only one like it... I like being different though.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, well if you're speaking of the nipple that's down by the WGA, then yeah I'm running hose off of both the WGA nipple and THAT particular outlet nipple you speak off. The 3 nipples that are uncovered are the two on the solenoid itself, and one on the inlet pipe. Where can I get the caps for these? Any parts store? I'm gonna try and cap these off and see what happens.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I just saw someone's post that says leaving it uncapped will cause the car to drive funny. I'm definitely going to cap it off after work. Although I don't see how it would make it drive funny, if it does, it does.