Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So...any evoIX issues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR
13,000 miles, bought it in Feb, 06'; clutch is pretty much toast, but i am very surprise to see how long it took the abuse for. i drive semi- crazy, for instance i only go fast on small tight open roads with no other cars around me- usually at night.

anyhow, i have no other problems with this car and to be quite honest i can't wait to install and new clutch. now i have a better reason than ever for reflashing my ECU. at least now i know the clutch will take it no prob.

FYI- not once have i ever drag raced the car, meaning i have never revved it up and dropped the clutch.
same with me...i've had zero issues with mine, but i also don't launch. right now i can't afford a new clutch...so when i want to feel the power and i start in first like everyday driving then hit the gas. i have my launch control set at 6K and still have yet to launch it...it's so tempting though
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nic411
same with me...i've had zero issues with mine, but i also don't launch. right now i can't afford a new clutch...so when i want to feel the power and i start in first like everyday driving then hit the gas. i have my launch control set at 6K and still have yet to launch it...it's so tempting though
Ya..I do the same thing...take off like normal and then hit the gas once I'm rolling.

How's Fort Walton Beach and the Destin area nowadays? I was stationed at Hurlburt Field for a good 5 years. Back then though I was riding my GSXR. I had to have a truck to tote the bike around.

Man it was nice cruisin the strip there. I miss the pier, and the boardwalk, and the outdoor clubs....too bad there's nowhere to make money there except resturaunts.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Gear's crunch from into and out of 2nd.

There's a thread about it, many, many similar stories.

nothings occurred as a consequence of this yet (1,000 miles so far) but I'm getting the dealer to look at it again after xmas, before my synchros slowly shave bits off each other and then finally fail.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

I am part of the rattle crew as well. Mine is coming from the back where the rear deck lid meets the the window right underneath the rear wiper. And the weird thing is sometimes there is no sound and other times it goes away when the car warms up inside. Other than that, I have had no problems at 2500 miles.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

19,500 miles, nothin but a clutch (a week ago), mostly stock car but catback exhaust and air filter. Drivin hard, many launches and no problems so far (knock on wood)....... evo 9 mr by the way
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
tranny still sucks.... i know 4 people who have rebuilt theirs already, myself included.. thats out of 8 or 9 people i know who have a IX... not a good ratio..
Are you kidding, you're seriously gunna try and act like its mitsubishi's fault that you and your crew of 17 year old drag racers have had tranny problems?

And you dont think that its highly suspicious that you and your circle of friends have all had such enourmous tranny problems. I hate to be a dick dude but seriously pull your head OUT OF YOUR ***.

I don't know why you think the stock tranny should hold up to your awd launches. Do you have any clue how much stress is put on the car when you launch at high RPMS and the tires cant break free? God dude, the tranny doesn't "suck", I think you're driving sucks.

4 Wheel Slide Yeah thats good for the car too. Complain when your tires stop gripping, cause mitsubishi sold us ****ty tires huh?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
Ya..I do the same thing...take off like normal and then hit the gas once I'm rolling.

How's Fort Walton Beach and the Destin area nowadays? I was stationed at Hurlburt Field for a good 5 years. Back then though I was riding my GSXR. I had to have a truck to tote the bike around.

Man it was nice cruisin the strip there. I miss the pier, and the boardwalk, and the outdoor clubs....too bad there's nowhere to make money there except resturaunts.
areas still great, i love it. i'm stationed at Eglin, been here for almost 6 years. only bad thing is the realstate is insane right now. i paid an ungodly amount for a 3bd 2bt house here in january...should have bought earlier. not too many EVOs around here.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
Are you kidding, you're seriously gunna try and act like its mitsubishi's fault that you and your crew of 17 year old drag racers have had tranny problems?

And you dont think that its highly suspicious that you and your circle of friends have all had such enourmous tranny problems. I hate to be a dick dude but seriously pull your head OUT OF YOUR ***.

I don't know why you think the stock tranny should hold up to your awd launches. Do you have any clue how much stress is put on the car when you launch at high RPMS and the tires cant break free? God dude, the tranny doesn't "suck", I think you're driving sucks.

4 Wheel Slide Yeah thats good for the car too. Complain when your tires stop gripping, cause mitsubishi sold us ****ty tires huh?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:13 PM

problems

I have the same passenger seat vibes and rattles. It's wierd on the highway when you look over at the seat it looks almost like a real fast rocking chair, to some extent.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I've had my Evo IX for 2 months and 5K mi. Runs really nice now that it is broken in. Oil, gas. Some rattle in the dash when cold. Love this motor the whole rev range is usable and explosive on full boost. I don't do high rpm launches and I slow shift 1->2. But once in 3rd the go pedal is down :-)
Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:42 PM

4Kmiles - 3 track days and two long trips down to So Cal via the coast side roads and back.

Various rattles and Evo-centric noises, but the tranny shifts smooth, the clutch still works fine and the car goes like a raped ape.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by boost_junky2000
I have the same passenger seat vibes and rattles. It's wierd on the highway when you look over at the seat it looks almost like a real fast rocking chair, to some extent.

Hmmm........mine doesn't do that.

Yours must be haunted!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

My IX only rattles with the stereo and really rough roads. Most cars do. Its quieter than my Toyota Celica ever was at 80. But other than that not one problem. Maybe got one that was made on a tuesday or....was it a monday?

I don't see how the whole tranny/clutch problem happens unless you dont know how to drive or mistreat it. It's the same clutch in all of the cars...how can some say it sucks cuz the effed up at 5k and others can drive on it for 20k+ miles EASILY?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:12 PM

where can i begin... my IX is the love of my life , yet i have gone throught 5th gear syncro 4 times now, 2 months after i had the car the driver side rear brake caliper locked up and ruined my rotor, and just recently my ciggeret ligfhter went out, and there is a rattle on the passenger side as well... good thing i have to say is that mitsubishi is fixing all the problems no question asked, the bad news is that i have been to the shop 4 times in less than a year. So basically its a sick car, but make sure you dont get a lemon, because they suck... they have decided to replace the whole tranny so its cool but its taken alot of my time and its right before christmas so i will probally have to wait till after christmas before i dont have to deal with the grind in 5th.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 PM

the only thing that i really noticed is the car pulls to the right....other then that its doing fine....dont want to jinx myself. i just need to get an alignment, but with the holidays i've been to busy and to lazy to get it done

Quick Reply: So...any evoIX issues?