Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad expierience with HKS TwinPower

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bad expierience with HKS TwinPower

so after having my HKS twin power running fine on my car for roughly a year my car suddenly started to hesitate & cut out & eventually died leaving me stranded on the side of the road...... luckily i was able to diagnose the problem, remove the HKS twin power & get the car going, but it definatly ruined that nights date

so, i called HKS USA & they said i cant return the unit myself, i have to send it to the dealer i purchased the unit through for verification(despite the fact it still has original serial #s & i have the recipt) & they can send the unit in for inspection/repair.... so i call burschur & they were very helpful in contacting HKS for me but unfortunatly.......

just my luck, my unit died just a few days out of warranty....lovely
to make matters even better, if i wanted to pay to have my unit inspected & repaired it has to be sent to to HKS japan ($$) & i have to pay an incredibly high inspection fee ($$$$) just to have it looked at and even then there are no guarantees that it can be repaired

so seems i am better off just buying a new unit, so my 500.00$ device that is only a little over a year old and a few days out of warranty is now worthless & i am better off just buying a new unit? pretty lame for a company like HKS that is supposed to have quality products with good support if you ask me
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
so after having my HKS twin power running fine on my car for roughly a year my car suddenly started to hesitate & cut out & eventually died leaving me stranded on the side of the road...... luckily i was able to diagnose the problem, remove the HKS twin power & get the car going, but it definatly ruined that nights date

so, i called HKS USA & they said i cant return the unit myself, i have to send it to the dealer i purchased the unit through for verification(despite the fact it still has original serial #s & i have the recipt) & they can send the unit in for inspection/repair.... so i call burschur & they were very helpful in contacting HKS for me but unfortunatly.......

just my luck, my unit died just a few days out of warranty....lovely
to make matters even better, if i wanted to pay to have my unit inspected & repaired it has to be sent to to HKS japan ($$) & i have to pay an incredibly high inspection fee ($$$$) just to have it looked at and even then there are no guarantees that it can be repaired

so seems i am better off just buying a new unit, so my 500.00$ device that is only a little over a year old and a few days out of warranty is now worthless & i am better off just buying a new unit? pretty lame for a company like HKS that is supposed to have quality products with good support if you ask me

I feel you pain bro.... my HKS twin power works ok now, but I had an issue with my abs and airbag lights coming on when I shut off the car.... they reassured me it was ok, but they never looked into it for me... It sucks though that their customer service sucks when problems arise
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:13 AM

sorry to hear that man
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Damn this sux man....soryy to hear about it.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I have heard of these units giving people problems, keep calling and *****ing!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is still OK!!!!

Now if I can keep the car running as a whole, maybe I can get some "test miles" out of the box.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never had any problems with mine, I find it pretty bizarre, and even more alarming about how they are dealing with issues though.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:37 AM
Account Disabled

HKS customer service really does lack, its kind of sad. You might want to rally other people who have faulty DLi2's and see if you can contact HKS as a whole. You'd think HKS would be concerned about their name on a forum like this but they just dont care. I have another customer who had his break as well in NY.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If we could get the damn part numbers of the connectors they use for the coil interface plugs on the HKS wiring harnesses, we can more easily build a plug and play alternative setup using a DSM ignitor and DSM coil pack (or any aftermarket combination)

I have some connections at Molex, AMP, Delphi, and Packard, that can identify the connectors and get them for me if they exist..

Steve, I'll have to talk to you later about this..
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

...now your talking!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:46 AM

Add me to the list. I have had two and they have each lasted about 13 months.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

aww, HKS more suitable for racing/rally use, daily driving sux (My opinion)