Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got a ticket for "Street racing"... but I wasn't... what do I do???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a ticket for "Street racing"... but I wasn't... what do I do???

Well, this is what happened.

I was with about 5 of my friends at a light right before the highway. We were all parting ways so we were lined up at the light talking to each other. Anyway, the light turns green I gun it onto the highway, 3 others go their separate ways, and my buddy follows behind me. We reach about 140/150 km per hour (I'm not sure what that is MPH. 80? 85 maybe?) and at that point we maintain our speed and stick in the left lane. My buddy is following me the whol time. Eventually we merge to the far rigth lane to get onto another highway, and as we are making a turn, 2 cop cars pull up right behind us and throw on their lights. They cuff us both and charge us for "street racing".

Apparently one of them was an undercover who was behind us at the light. And he then called backup.

This is the short version of the story, and it is exactly what happened. Now I am faced with having to fight this. If I lose, my car will be DESTROYED.

I was not racing, as I was simply going home with my friend. I will get a lawyer, but I just want to know if you guys think I will have a problem fighting this given the information I have given you. If we were really racing wouldn't we be trying to evade each other, going as fast as possible? Who races behind one another and maintains a constant speed???
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wtf??? di*khead cops..good luck
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

What do you mean your car will be destroyed?
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dinothegreat
In Toronto now they are setting an example by taking cars caught that are involved in street racing and literally crushing them.

Apparently this is only a scare tactic, but they are really cracking down. Because of it cops are now using any opportunity to call street racing when people are just speeding.

But because my friend and I both drive imports we were accused of racing.

We both live close to each other and were just going faster than usual because it was 2:30 in the morning and we were both tired and wanted to go home. There was no crazy weaving or WOT runs, it was just cruising over the speed limit...
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dinothegreat
He means the car will be impounded. I've been to Canada before. Those cops are nowhere as corrupt as the cops down in Virginia. Down in Virginia, driving 15 mph over the limit is considered reckless driving, and you can be thrown into jail. Their laws are so ridiculous that if you live in another state, the local government will pay it for you. Consider yourself lucky, but sorry about the car.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shvc1991
He means the car will be impounded. I've been to Canada before. Those cops are nowhere as corrupt as the cops down in Virginia. Down in Virginia, driving 15 mph over the limit is considered reckless driving, and you can be thrown into jail. Their laws are so ridiculous that if you live in another state, the local government will pay it for you. Consider yourself lucky, but sorry about the car.
This is what I mean...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...et-racing.html

Either way I'm going to have to hire a lawyer and when it's all said and done I am probably going to have to shell out about 2 grand.....

All for something that I didn't even do...

I'm moving to Japan after this year. **** it all.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

good luck man. If your record is clean and you have a good lawyer you should be ok. If not call the local news and raise a sh*t storm if they try to crush the car. just a thought
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

im sure if you explain this w/your friend in court with a lawyer, and prove that you and your friend are in fact close friends as you say, then they will drop most, if not all the charges. they are trying to prove an example, im sure when he called for backup (if he really did lol) it was at the light when there were all 5 cars lined up and he wouldnt dare to pull all of you over. he was frigtened and wouldnt leave you guys be so he continued to follow someone he needed to blame =/ good luck, i dont see why you would need to lose your car for cruising =/

can you sue for court costs, or false impoundment? look into it i guess

"Dangerous driving causing bodily harm: raised to 14 years from 10 years." that's insane, who knows what they might conclude to being "dangerous driving," maybe just breaking the speed limit?

Last edited by dewood*; Dec 17, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedarkside
good luck man. If your record is clean and you have a good lawyer you should be ok. If not call the local news and raise a sh*t storm if they try to crush the car. just a thought
My record is 100% spotless for 6 years, that's why I can't believe that they would have the audacity to slap me with such a stupid charge. They had no speedgun readings, no proof that we were competing in any way on the road. All they had was me leaving the light hard with my buddy, and us continuing down the highway at fast speeds.

I am serious about going to Japan if this gets any worse than it already has though. I'm done with cars after this experience because I am now afraid of getting in more trouble. Cops are too corrupt these days and new laws are being made every day to make it harder and harder for us enthusiasts to enjoy our cars on the streets.

-Aaron
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about this but it sounds like Ill never drive my evo in canadia! I think destroying the car is a little bit overkill though. Just my opinion of course
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eggy
In Toronto now they are setting an example by taking cars caught that are involved in street racing and literally crushing them.

Apparently this is only a scare tactic, but they are really cracking down. Because of it cops are now using any opportunity to call street racing when people are just speeding.

But because my friend and I both drive imports we were accused of racing.

We both live close to each other and were just going faster than usual because it was 2:30 in the morning and we were both tired and wanted to go home. There was no crazy weaving or WOT runs, it was just cruising over the speed limit...
Wow. They can do that? Crush your car? I would go apesh*t on somebody!

You realize that no matter what you say, those cops are going to testify that you were street racing. Who are they going to believe? In the US you could hire an attorney and sort of buy yourself out of most of it, but in Canada?
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shvc1991
so let me get this straight cops are corrupt because they enforce traffic laws?

and its not their laws (cops) its your laws you vote your legislatures into office. if you dont like the laws do something about it instead of complaining. its the state that wants the traffic laws enforced.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

i thought evo's were outlawed in canada for teh FMIC being deystroyed in 5mph crash tests??/
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

i think its the new evo x that wont be allowed in ca, i may be wronge
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pitbul09
so let me get this straight cops are corrupt because they enforce traffic laws?

and its not their laws (cops) its your laws you vote your legislatures into office. if you dont like the laws do something about it instead of complaining. its the state that wants the traffic laws enforced.
Most cops don't have much common sense anyway. Some cop pulled my uncle over about 3 days ago. I was in the car as well. He said he just wanted someone to talk to. How stupid is that? He was like "What's that?". So we told him it was an air freshener, and he was like "Oh what scent is it?". I said, I don't know, but it smells good. He then said "I like the vanilla scent, ever try it?" and all this other BS. It was a waste of 15 minutes. Then he started asking questions like, so are you a drinker and ****. That was the stupidest thing a cop could possibly do. Like I said, corrupt retarded cops.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for "Street racing"... but I wasn't... what do I do???