Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does anyone think or know....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone think or know....

If a LICP being steel or aluminum will make a difference in performance ? i understand the difference in weight, but i dont think a pound or so will matter all that much, but does aluminum have any benefits for performance from the LICP standpoint ?

example... nesei LICP .... steel 2.5 from turbo outlet to IC and then the aluminum version from turbo outlet to IC

Last edited by bigric09; Dec 18, 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No? Hahaha
As long as they have the same size, they shouldnt make a big diff...
OR even a small diff...
Or a difference at all.
I need to stop talking.
Yes.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

They might depending on how each material deals with different temperatures, but it's intercooler piping so material really shouldn't make a difference. I'd definitely go with aluminum though, just the little extra weight savings. Not much I know, but those 1 or 2 pounds add up pretty quickly.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:11 PM

haha are you serious........aluminum ftw, has ability to conduct heat better than steel, its why intercoolers arent made out of steel
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rhds13
haha are you serious........aluminum ftw, has ability to conduct heat better than steel, its why intercoolers arent made out of steel
He's talking about from the turbo to the intercooler, not the intercooler to the engine, so heat doesn't really play a role here. He's also talking about piping, not the actual intercooler. ICP = InterCooler Piping.

Last edited by shvc1991; Dec 18, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rhds13
and i think the word is disperse, not conduct
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
in my opinion, it would not matter which material you decided to use between aluminum and steel, i am almost sure you would not notice a difference with either one. stop breaking your head and go with what you prefer regardless of the material.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
and i think the word is disperse, not conduct
That's right, but hey. Go with whatever you feel is right. It is YOUR car. It shouldn't make much of a difference at all, but whatever.... whatever makes you happy.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

i already have one, i have an aluminum LICP, but it bottle necks from 2.0 to 2.5... i was looking at swapping into the nesei LICP which is 2.5 straight from the turbo outlet to the FMIC and also is one piece where as the LICP i have now is 2 pieces.... im curious if the aluminum to steel difference would make a difference from a performance stand point, and the 2.5 as opposed to starting at 2 and getting larger would make that much of a difference
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think it would make a difference. Two materials, same purpose.... you'll be fine either way.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

hey Jason, do you really think youll get that much of a gain from the nisei over the AMS? IMHO I dont think its worth the change.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ries
hey Jason, do you really think youll get that much of a gain from the nisei over the AMS? IMHO I dont think its worth the change.
i was wondering, main reason is, i like the 1 piece, as well as the AMS pipe i have doesnt have the support bar that the nesei does, i have as you know the older ams version. and i found someone to buy it from me for a fair price that will cover the nesei and shipping and pocket a couple bucks as well.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
i was wondering, main reason is, i like the 1 piece, as well as the AMS pipe i have doesnt have the support bar that the nesei does, i have as you know the older ams version. and i found someone to buy it from me for a fair price that will cover the nesei and shipping and pocket a couple bucks as well.
well if thats the case then go for it....w/ the support bracket you shouldnt have to worry about the licp blowing off anymore, one less thing you'll have to fix on the side of the road...lol

but if your worried about the performance gains or losses....I think the gains w/ a full 2.5 pipe will be minimal....maybe your butt dyno is more calibrated then mine though
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

well, i do have a finely tuned rear, or so danyel tells me on a regular basis.... but i think she is biased

as long as i dont get it ported and polished, i suppose i am in good standings
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

i think they're the same.. just a little difference in weight... it dont make a difference if a driver saves a pound here and there buying lighter parts while he weights 300lbs himself..

Quick Reply: Does anyone think or know....