Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO has HID?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by skibum
It sucks that only the low beams on the evo are HID.(cheap)
how many sub $30K cars have dual HID headlamps...

i swear some people are never satisfied...

you ain't rolling a $50K 5 series luxury sedan man... it's a race car...
Old May 22, 2003, 11:09 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

haha

anyways according to the tutorial all OEMs are 4100K and the optics is the key...which makes sense.

Oh I remember reading somewhere saying philips is brighter and whiter looking than the Osram ones, even though they both claim 4100K.
Old May 22, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

The only other car that has HID high beams is the new Viper. Except I wonder how well they work because when I flash my [M Roadster] high beams, it only takes a split second to be fully ignited however it seems that all HIDs take a couple of seconds to reach their full potential. Unless those high beams reach maximum brightness in a split second, they are pretty useless to me.
I usually just use my highs to light something up for a second or so and then shut them off. Unless of course, I am driving through the desert or through the mountains.
Don't get me wrong, I understand you could only get HIDs that are brighter than Vipers' on a race car[according to Motor Trend] but they seem pretty useless around town. However, I would like to try them out on say, a Canyon Run or driving through the desert on my way to Vegas. But it seems that's the only real way to use HID highs.

Just my $.02
Old May 22, 2003, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

You have bixenons on your M roadster?
Old May 23, 2003, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Coolguy949: Nope.

I have PIAAs in my driving lights and stock highs. I've thought about getting PIAAs in my highs but I have yet to come across another car with brighter highs than my car.(obviously haven't came across a viper) My point was that Halogens ignite/light up really quickly when compared to HIDs. So I would not need HID highs around town.

Would do you guys think?
Old May 23, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

I agree. I would rather have halogen in my high beams because they are full brightness instantly. If you use the momentary flash feature (for passing?) it would not work too well with HID's in there. Now if we could find HID H11's for the fog lights...
Old May 23, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

A lot fo companies make retrofit kits like McCulloch, HIDs4Less.com, autolamps-online, etc. You could even go for some really cheap korean kit since they are only foglamps. Korean kits are like the crappiest you can get because they arent made with the quality of german kits. But they korean ones are ussually really cheap.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But why bother with the cheap kits? And are they really that cheap?

Look at this page.

Notice how "Philips System" is written after the 4300K system, but not after the 6000K system. Granted, the 6000K may look "cooler" but it is probably from some no name knock off Korean bulb company. It might use Philips ballasts, but blue/pruple cheap bulbs. Its also more expensive then the Philips kit. IT may not even work as well and it probably won't last as long. Other companies may price their kits similarly no matter what the light source, but they'll probably have a higher profit margin in the non Philips/Sylvania kits. The reason the price is porbably lower is because they know they have to compete with others who use the same system. When there's only two companies to choose from for quality lights the prices are going to be pretty steady. Who knows with the knockoffs.

Do yourself and your Evolution a favor, and avoid that other crap. Hell, even if your driving a beater and just want to be able to see better at night and are looking into a HID retrofit, buy only the best and the proven and you'll be doing everybody a favor, including people who are coming down the road in the other lane.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 03:13 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Question for you guys!! If we change our bulbs to something else, does our light adjustment still work? You know the thing that can raise and lower the beam...
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
The HID's on the Evo rock! Being able to adjust the elevation is even better