Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

About to buy an IX MR tomrrow, have a turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006 | 02:10 AM
Bro

sounds like the guy knows someone with an VIII and they went to town swapping parts. Maybe they swapped engines. Maybe valve covers too so it still says MIVEC. Maybe they blew the original engine that came with the car and swapped in an older one so they could unload it. Or maybe the engine is just tired from 3000 miles of hard racing. Is it really a great price with such low mileage? Did he just offer this money back garantee? smells fishy.

sounds like that dealer wasn't being honest, they were being lazy. Do they know the car or seller?

AFR and boost gauge with racing seats?
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 02:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Such as?
like when the guy told you that you will get your money back if there is something wrong with the car! Or any warranty staff. good luck
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a shady deal...
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
sounds like a shady deal...
Yeah, no kidding.

So its the evo IX front end, evo VIII interior, evo VIII tails but thas the mivec valve cover and its slow.

Maybe its an base lancer owner thats a hardcore evolution fan but has mxed feelings about the VIII & XI styling so he mixed em up to get best of both worlds?
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

More than the Mivec cover - check that intake cam gear
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robb86
Yeah, no kidding.

So its the evo IX front end, evo VIII interior, evo VIII tails but thas the mivec valve cover and its slow.

Maybe its an base lancer owner thats a hardcore evolution fan but has mxed feelings about the VIII & XI styling so he mixed em up to get best of both worlds?
I just laughed so hard i spilled my coffee everywhere...
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

let me contribute.... also additional checks......

1. also check the interior, does it have carbon fiber or plain dull gray trim? all 9's except the RS come w/ carbon fiber trim.

2. lightly knock on the side of the spoiler. if you get a muffled thud, its an evo8 wing (painted carbon fiber sides). if it sounds like metal, then its evo9 wing.

3. check in the engine bay, is the paint inside dull or is it shiny? if its dirty clean a section. i have noticed the 03's were dull nonclear coated (atleast mine was and many others i've seen). the 05's and 06's are clearcoated in the engine bay.

4. what kind of enkeis? if u dont know which belong to what year, u DEFINETLY havent done even basic research. ofcourse anyone can change the wheels but still worth checking

5. look down under and see if the rear o2 is plugged into the cat converter itself. if it is, thats an 06 stock turboback... if u dont see it, its an 05 or before.

6. is BOV metal or all black plastic? the 06's come in metal bovs, the 05's and before does not.

7. look at the gauge cluster, does it have ACD? (tarmac, gravel, snow)... if it does not, it is not a 05' or 06'. (i forgot if 04's had it or not)

i think i ran out of things to check but i would highly recommend bringing an experienced evo owner to this sale. even though you BELIEVE you are getting a great deal, i dont believe you've done any research and very vulnerable of getting ripped off paying top dollars for a cheap 03.
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

also wanted to add... make a nice big list of all the things we tell you to check. most likely if this is a conversation then a true 06' evo, the owner must have missed atleast SOMETHING
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

When i read the title i thought you were trying to verify if the IX was turbo, i was like ohhh no.
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Whoa - all reverse!

That was almost good for a morning chuckle!

Let's see, he's a "really nice guy" and he'll "gladly refund your money if you're nto happy" BUT, he's on his way to Hong Kong!

I can hear it now: "This is the United States calling, are we reaching... He keeps hanging up."

LOLOL!!

Checks in the mail, I won't c** in your mouth, I got it. Nice guy, lol. Thanks for the laugh.
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe he sold the 9 turbo and just bought a 8 16g off someone for cheap. He most likely made money considering everyone with a 16g 8 wants the 20g 9.
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

oh and i COMPLETELY forgot to mention. it IS a 6 speed right? in addition to being a 6 speed transmission, the shift console should say 'MR' on it. it would cost tons of money to source an MR tranny and mount it on an 03. also the front diff will not fit w/ the 03 tranny so that has to be changed too. basically if you know its a 6 speed, you have much more assurance it IS atleast an 05 mr...

hope the lump of advice from me and others will help you make the smart choice... gluck
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I drove that one last week... it's a regular Lancer w/ body kit.

jk., hope it works out!
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 06:40 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

He has a modded s2k and civic si with a tons of JDM parts on 'em...he has money...he reasures me there were never any mods on the car.
Maybe he is honest, but looking at the above I'd say the Evo WAS modded, he took off the parts and now the tune is screwed up. That could explain it feeling slow.
Old Dec 20, 2006 | 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

can also check tire and brake pad wear. Not a great indicator but it's something.