Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my first ticket, ever...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my first ticket, ever...

Dec. 20, 2006.
Had my first court appearance today. Was given a ticket on Dec. 9th, Route 1 North, by an officer at 9am in the morning. I was doing 95 in a 55 zone. Got the mandatory reckless driving ticket with it.

Pleaded not guilty to the reckless driving: was not weaving, or intending to, or travelling in a manner that would cause harm to myself or anyone else.

As for the speeding... Also had a legitimate reason...
Tried to explain that my brakes weren't bedded in, and they weren't feeling safe. Had a few handouts explaining the procedure - and tried to stress it's not an ego trip, or an excuse for racing... but in the best interests of everyone.
The day was clear, it was early so there was no traffic... etc.

Never even had a parking ticket in my 10 yrs+ of driving.

In the end, I got 2 points on my license, a $236 fine, and 14 days no driving.

I believe there is no real excuse for speeding, because it's dangerous... but I'm feeling like my car is jinxed!

I got off really lightly. Others in the court were getting 10 points, plus $500+ fine, plus 30 day suspended license, plus traffic school!

Put it this way, I'm going to be even more careful than i was before - it's painful to see her sitting outside, but being unable to drive!!

Take care and stay safe everyone. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Glad everything is okay.

I guess the officer was just doing his job...

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

If your brakes weren't bedded in and weren't feeling safe, why would you drive 100mph instead of driving slowly or getting the car towed?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty harsh for 95 in a 55...I got the same ticket a year back and it was $400 bucks, 2 points, but no suspension of driving privileges.

But I can sympathize with you...I'm on day 54 of 60 days of suspension (for a different ticket)...I've been watching my freshly watched Evo sitting in the garage for almost 2 months!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER fight a ticket in person. You have the right to request a trial by written declaration. Think about all the reasons why it's a disadvantage to fight the ticket in person, in view of the citing officer and the judge. That's a lesson for the next ticket...in 10 years from now.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Good point. They were minor, but I could feel the difference and frankly it was getting annoying.
I'd cycled through to about 65mph, and they were feeling good - so I progressively got up to 90 to complete the run.
Bad timing, but yeah - the cops are just doing their job. In fact, he was pretty understanding - could have towed my *** on the spot.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
That is pretty harsh for 95 in a 55...I got the same ticket a year back and it was $400 bucks, 2 points, but no suspension of driving privileges.

But I can sympathize with you...I'm on day 54 of 60 days of suspension (for a different ticket)...I've been watching my freshly watched Evo sitting in the garage for almost 2 months!
Yeah, this one kid was doing 92 in a 55, but he had a lawyer and his mum as character witness and he got dismissed.
Damn, I feel for you. It's painful!
Let's try to stay out of trouble once we get back in the drivers seat.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deepee1
Yeah, this one kid was doing 92 in a 55, but he had a lawyer and his mum as character witness and he got dismissed.
Damn, I feel for you. It's painful!
Let's try to stay out of trouble once we get back in the drivers seat.
It's been way worse than I could imagine. I'm gonna have no choice but to cool it once it is reinstated - my insurance is gonna go through the roof. Might have to pick up a beater and only insure the Evo in the summers.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
you're so ignorant. you were endangering anyone or racing at 95 mph on rt 1??? u really honestly believe it was the brake pad bedding that made you go fast? if you were going 90-95 on turnpike, its relatively not dangerous if there is no traffic. now rt 1??? sory pal but your dangerous.

by the way i grew up around rt 1 since i was a child, there isnt any place u can go 90-95 safely even 3am (with deers jumping on certain areas, drunk morons shooting out of nowhere, so many lights and drunk/idiots running reds etc )
I'm sure that was just his excuse. You don't bed in pads at 95 mph.
Evolved Member

A colleague of mine (fellow math professor) had his license suspended for 6 months this last summer. I ended up giving him rides to and from work this last semester. All of his tickets were for doing maybe 10mph over the limit. It was just bad luck. He now faces another 6 month suspension because the last ticket he got some months ago is set to post to his record. To make a long story short, he's screwed. I myself am preparing to fight two tickets which, IMO, I don't really deserve. The moral of the story? Life isn't fair. Sometimes we get away with stuff when we shouldn't (how many people on this forum have driven recklessly and were just lucky there wasn't a cop around?). Sometimes a cop feels like giving a ticket when you're going 5 mph over. As for me, I drive like a freaking old lady right now. It wouldn't be so bad if I drove a Kia. But to never drive over the speed limit in an Evo is, well, frustrating sometimes.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
and only insure the Evo in the summers.
That would jack your rate up even more, heh.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

You got lucky! I had a old old grandpa call an undercover cop on me, he followed me to work (16 miles) and pulled me over for "aggressive driving" when really 16 miles the cop probably broke as many laws as I did, lol. I fought it and got 3 tickets with no aggressive driving charge. Good luck with the popos!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
A colleague of mine (fellow math professor) had his license suspended for 6 months this last summer. I ended up giving him rides to and from work this last semester. All of his tickets were for doing maybe 10mph over the limit. It was just bad luck. He now faces another 6 month suspension because the last ticket he got some months ago is set to post to his record. To make a long story short, he's screwed. I myself am preparing to fight two tickets which, IMO, I don't really deserve. The moral of the story? Life isn't fair. Sometimes we get away with stuff when we shouldn't (how many people on this forum have driven recklessly and were just lucky there wasn't a cop around?). Sometimes a cop feels like giving a ticket when you're going 5 mph over. As for me, I drive like a freaking old lady right now. It wouldn't be so bad if I drove a Kia. But to never drive over the speed limit in an Evo is, well, frustrating sometimes.
Exactly. Wise words.
No point complaining. I now know how fortunate I've been in the past. I'll be seeing you in that slow lane for sure.
A good thing is that the missus wants to pay for my autox. She knows i need to get 'it' out of my system and has no problem with me doing it in a safe environment. Makes sense.

Last edited by deepee1; Dec 20, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, getting a ticket the 9th and court the 20th?...When you get a ticket up here, you dont even get your notice to attend court for ATLEAST 4 months.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:48 PM
Admin Alumni

IMO you did get off lightly, in CT more than 30 over is reckless, and you get to go to the barracks and get your car towed. Seems like you see that now, glad you got off as light as you did. This easily could have been a "I wrecked my Evo" thread. Let's all remember that and stay safe!!!

Quick Reply: Got my first ticket, ever...