Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

turbo Back vs. Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cecilia
Well ok, to end these questions.....whats the best set up you think i should get...
Dude .... it's one thing if you are attempting to learn what actually needs to be done to yield the most hp and tq .... but it's something else if you are too lazy to do the research that is required to learn more about what can be done to the evo to get the most gains possible, bang for buck ... etc. The best aftermarket exhaust set-up for the evo, or most cars for that matter is a VERY subjective question. You shouldn't rely on the rest of us to tell you what is the best ...... because what is the best for me may be way too loud and outspoken for you, or vice versa. What typically yields the most gains is pretty simple .... as mentioned, get the complete turbo back system. However, there aren't a ton of choices out yet so you may want to wait. STILL, waiting isn't going promise more power than you could get out of the systems that are already out now. As for me .... I like HKS so I installed an HKS downpipe with an RMR cat-replacement (test) pipe. As for the cat-back ... I'll either wait for HKS to introduce its Carbon-TI system .... or I'll save a few hundred by going with an RMR cat-back system or a Thermal R&D CAT-BACK. Why between these two? Because they both are not overly loud and dyno results prove that both systems are fantastic = minimal restriction. Whatever you do, for the most performance .... be sure to replace at least the downpipe and cat-back. .... and quit asking everybody what to buy. Half of the fun is seeing the MANY DIFFERENT WAYS we ..... as evo owners make more HP and TQ!
Old May 23, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 23, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Oh don't get all pissed off. In the end all of your questions were answered anyways so all's well .
Old May 23, 2003, 01:05 PM

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A JETTA 1.8T, A FAR LESS POWERFUL CAR BUT TURBO NONE THE LESS.. HE GOT A CUSTOM STAINLESS TURBO BACK EXHAUST FROM A MUFFLER PLACE IN THE BRONX. IT'S SIMPLY A 3' INCH PIECE OF STEEL BENT TO FIT WITH AN EXHAUST TIP. HIS CAR WENT FROM CUTE TO DOWN RITE EVIL... OR MAYBE I SHOULD SAY EVOL!!! BASICALLY TO EACH IS OWN IF U WANT A SLEEPER DON'T GET A TURBO BACK TRUST ME, EVERY ONE AND THEIR MOTHER WILL KNOW WHAT YOU GOT GOING IF THEY DONT ALREADY BY THE FRONT MOUNT....
Old May 23, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Is that 3" piece of steel mandrel bent or just bent? That would be a very important clarification.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by RaX; May 23, 2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old May 23, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Um. Chill out?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

simple...just get a 3" turbo back system. I have a helix 3" down pipe and an apexi N1 exhaust system (3") with a cat delete pipe, and it works just fine for me.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo back is better - hence costing more
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thats never 100% true

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
turbo back is better - hence costing more
Old Dec 5, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a difference with the two types of systems as far as affecting the powertrain warranty with mitsubishi? I know it can be dealer dependent, but has anyone had any experience.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adamhw
Is there a difference with the two types of systems as far as affecting the powertrain warranty with mitsubishi? I know it can be dealer dependent, but has anyone had any experience.
I can't speak for warranty issues in general, but installing a turboback on a newer car (like an Evo) is nearly always against Federal law. (It's illegal to remove a working catalytic converter.)

However, there is no Federal law against driving the car after the turboback is installed -- it's a legal car with the stock exhaust and it's a legal car with the turboback (assuming installation of a Federally approved cat). The only thing illegal is the act of converting the car from one legal configuration to another.

Such intelligent laws...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf