Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pulled over for a loud...STOCK...exhuast!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled over for a loud...STOCK...exhuast!

Dropping off one of my friends yesterday morning, I was in the Algonquin area minding my own business when out of the blue a cop pulls his cherries on me. I had been driving the speed limit the whole time and am dumbfounded as to what's going on.

He approaches the car and I already have my license and registration out, keys on the dash, and have done everything to make him feel comfortable. He starts out with a good morning, and I reply with the qeustion of why I'm pulled over.

"Well, son, you have a loud exhuast."

"Excuse me?!?!"

I've had my IX SE since November 11th, and have yet to do any power mods to it. In total, the non stock parts on it equal up to JDM VII tail lights, Rexspeed Dashpod with Defi's, some Nokya 2500K fogs, and some Evo 8 enkies with all seasons. I am staying stock until next April to get a baseline dyno and go the the track to see what I can run. I already have a TBE sitting at home (comprised of a TTP DP (which looks identical Megan's if anyone is curious), Ebay TP, and a baller Greddy Ti), New HKS EVC, Apex-i Filter, Fuel Pump, Headstuds, and the such.

"There is no way that exhaust is stock. I've been an ASA certified mechanic for over 10 years and can tell you that wont pass emissions or DB level laws."

"Sir, just how positive about that are you? Wanna take a look at it under the car with me to prove that it's stock?"

So I get out of the car, get him on his hands an knees, and point out the catalytic converter, large stock muffler, and rediculously restrictive piping. I do tell him that yes, the evo is a little louder than other cars stock, but I am not modified.

He continues:"Well, this must have been a dealership installed part. This is not factory."

I am now at the point of holding back laughter because it's becoming difficult to put up with his speech.

After a bit more talking, he eventually gives up and let's me go. I was entertained to say the least. I even went ot the extent of askign him if he'd pull me over for my wing (referring to that one thread where the guy was pulled over for the stock wing?!?!?!). He said that it is no obstuction of view, and that you can technically drive around with no rear window...good news I guess.

So, anyone else get pulled over for an illegal stock exhaust, or am I a first?

[sarcasm]And, as a lesson, everyone, quiet down your stock exhuast...you'll wake up the neighborhood!!! [/sarcasm]

Last edited by Mitchubishievo; Jan 23, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
Yme
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks bro. I think he was just bored and looking for something to do. I havent heard of anyone getting pulled over for stock exhaust. Maybe some of the evo owners in CA have.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

hahahaahahahaha funny
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

lmaoi u shoulda just punched him in teh face n left.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks . I read another thread the other day about someone getting it to with the popo about the exhaust too.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't the cops pull over Harleys?????????
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

its funny to read a cop thinking he knows anything about an evo
"ASA certified mechanic for over 10 years"
time for him to go back to school
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I got pulled over November of last year with dealer tags still on. This was 15 days after I had picked up the car. The cop actually got annoyed that I wouldn't admit that it was not stock and gave me a ticket. All I had on the car was a boost gauge at that point.

To make a long story short I reported him to IA for unproffessional conduct due to his attitude. He actually told me that if I had admitted that it was not stock he would just give me a warning and let me go. Well, three days later he called me on my cell phone, apologized and retracted the ticket since the IA had started an investigation He said that he had checked out the Mitsubishi website and that I was telling the truth after all. I really knew that it was because of a call from my case officer who started out the IA investigation.

Happy holidays!!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Well maybe you should'nt install that TBE now HAHAHA
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to bring up the point with Harley's, but didn't bother, I knew I wasn't going to get a ticket because there was no tone of acidity between either party, just a friendly debate. He wasn't a d!ck to me, but the officer who pulled me over the night before on the highway driving my friend's Escalade was...how to a fight a Lidar ticket...ugh.

No TBE? Pffft, this encounter wont stop me.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

You know I keep wondering the same thing...I want to kick the *** of the Harley owner that keeps riding by my house every day at 3:00AM....

Originally Posted by ak47po
Why don't the cops pull over Harleys?????????
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Okay in all seriousness, WHY do they not stop harley owners? Why do mustang/camaro/etc. owners never get pulled over for their loud exhausts?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
Okay in all seriousness, WHY do they not stop harley owners? Why do mustang/camaro/etc. owners never get pulled over for their loud exhausts?
Yah lets get the ACLU involved!We have our RIGHTS!Discrimination SUCKS!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:11 AM

Mechanic for 10 years xD. I wouldnt want to take my car to his shop.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:12 AM

I do live in Californistan. I did get pulled over for the stock exhaust as well on one occasion. I told the cop he should address the ticket to Mitsubishi Motors Corp. No ticket issued. Then the next day got pulled over for no plates backing out of my driveway. It still had dealer plates, only had the car 3 days. I asked the cop if he gets plates when he drives the car off of the dealer lot. No ticket issued. Then I modded the exhaust and got pulled over again. The cop made me open the hood while he made his inspection. Hallman boost control at this point as well. No ticket issued. He did not even know what he was looking for. I did get pulled over one morning doing some datalog with my laptop on the seat tactrix cable hooked up and wide band cables hooked up and running. He gave me a ticket for turning left illegally. Did not even ask about the laptop and cables. Probably did not want to know LOL. The idea for the police is that the car has a wing and makes noise, then you must be a street racer. They are enforcing all of the laws on the street racers to try and harass them out of existence. It is something we will have to deal with until the street racers are out of the public eye. Then hopefully they will focus on the outlaw Harley riders that ride around with open exhaust

Until then be patient with them, they are here to protect us, I think.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for a loud...STOCK...exhuast!