Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To all Evo IX owners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont regret it....but it depends on what your looking for.

If you want a comfy daily, then pass on the IX.

If you want "baller Status" pass on the IX.

If you want low cost of ownership, then pass on the IX.

BUT if you want a fun car to drive that is quick from a dig, quick on the highway, a BLAST on backroads, and has room for 5 adults and a nice large trunk - all while giving you the added piece of mind of AWD in the bad weather, than go get a IX.

Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

I went from a heavily modified srt4 before my evo ix....

Srt4 50trim/ems etc etc.......

That car does not compare. yes the srt4 was fast on the highway, but the regular city driving I do it was "NO FUN", I had thousands of dollars in suspension work and my "Stock suspension" EVO is 100% better.

You cannot compare srt4 to an evo, trust me. Yes srt4's can be faster with a **** load of money.

Before all the work to my srt4 I had just catback/intake/intercooler/suspension/motor mounts/ drag radials/ stage 2 toys with race gas 3500$+ I managed a 12.8
Now granted I could of ran faster, but not by much

Then I got my evo with turboback and flash less than 1200$ first time at the track 13.1,12.8, 12.5, so a 12.5 with less than 1200$

And best of all, the evo is a way HOTTER Car, more looks than my srt4.......

I like having my srt4 and wish i could of kept it and bought the evo, but financially it wasn't a good idea.

As for problems with evo ix,,, 8000 K miles, numerous 1/4 drags, and not a single problem other than tire wear from the sticky advans and awd cornering

As for someone talking about brakes making noises..> They are performance pads, and they do that. Says so on the brochure

So, for the haters, Read and Research before you buy.

If you have a $600 car payment and can't afford maintenance you should of bought an evo and should of bought a lancer.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:19 AM

Guys... If you buy a used Evo without having a good mechanic look at it before you buy it, you're all asking for problems, period. Evo's are driven by A LOT Of spoiled *** rich kids that tear up the car when they drive it. They don't take care of it like they should and pretty much treat it like they got it for free (cause most of them did). I would never get a performance vehicle like the Evo without paying a mechanic (Costs like $150 for peace of mind) to come take a look at it on the lot before I bought it. Too many potential problems. It just seems like the people that are having problems are those who bought them used? I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing...

I've only had my IX for 2,000 miles now, but I haven't had a problem yet. Rides wonderfully and drives great. It's my daily driver.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deanjones
Guys... If you buy a used Evo without having a good mechanic look at it before you buy it, you're all asking for problems, period. Evo's are driven by A LOT Of spoiled *** rich kids that tear up the car when they drive it. They don't take care of it like they should and pretty much treat it like they got it for free (cause most of them did). I would never get a performance vehicle like the Evo without paying a mechanic (Costs like $150 for peace of mind) to come take a look at it on the lot before I bought it. Too many potential problems. It just seems like the people that are having problems are those who bought them used? I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing...

I've only had my IX for 2,000 miles now, but I haven't had a problem yet. Rides wonderfully and drives great. It's my daily driver.
I totally agree. When I was younger and my parents bought my first car for me (e36 m3) I didn't treat it all too well. Now that I'm paying out the *ss for the Evo IX I have not launched it one time yet or abused it in anyway.

Get those cars checked out. A lot of idiots that don't know what they are doing are modding these cars.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Just read up on all the folks with mods that are demodding and trading it in. Some sucker is going to be buying those one leg in the coffin cars.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm comming up on 25k miles. I haven't had any problems or regrets.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

2000 miles in one month

I love the car very much, it handles fantastic. I have been pushing it a little more here and there. I love slow corners in 2nd and then apply about 80% throttle...I get oversteer, stay in it, and countersteer...bam, I'm gone. It's pretty sweet.

However, I miss my WRX very, very much. She was my first performance car and I wish I could have kept her as well. I learned how to change the oil on a car with the WRX. When I traded her in, she had an upgraded turbo with all the goodies and a self-tune with the help of a buddy. I kinda feel like I betrayed her.

Oh well, I'm glad that I have the opportunity to own the awsome machine that is Evo IX. You'll love it man.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Had a 2003 evo now MR IX.. Love it much better car...
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

not 1 issue, after my break in i beat the snot out of it!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:28 PM

I have little regerets about the IX. Its a great car to toss around. Havent had any major issues with it yet, (Im at 3200miles) but it is 100% stock. I still have my 02 wrx that I have basically since new. Could never sell it like subaruwrx420 said it would fell like I was turning my back on her.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think alot of the problems with the evo in general is that too many kids are driving these and are comparing them to the honda civic they traded in. that and coupled with the fact that you cant just dump a clutch on an all wheel drive. now thats not to say that there are not problems from the factory, i think alot of the late ixs are put together too fast to get as many as they could out there, and the problems they have will be addressed during the warranty period( which is almost a moot point, lol). i have a used 05 evo8 and have not had one single drivability issue. the tires, clutch and brake issues are made worse by people who dont understand that NO MATTER WHAT CAR YOU HAVE, IT'S GOING TO HAVE ITS' OWN SET OF PROBLEMS! i've seen ****ty hondas, gm, ford, mitsu, toyotas, and on and on. i work in the car industry(mechanic) at a dealership, and some of the people complaints are just stupid. (example) "when i'm going down the road at 75mph, i hear windnoise, or a rattle when going over a bump. CARS ARE DRIVEN AND THEY WILL MAKE NOISES! of course, there are always exceptions to the rule......
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJxxx
I have little regerets about the IX. Its a great car to toss around. Havent had any major issues with it yet, (Im at 3200miles) but it is 100% stock. I still have my 02 wrx that I have basically since new. Could never sell it like subaruwrx420 said it would fell like I was turning my back on her.
Damn it man, you're lucky. The bugeye is my favorite and I will own one in the future, for sure. I must own another Subaru, I must. Perhaps in a few years I can pick an 05 STi, the best USDM example to date.

I leased the Subie thinking that I would trade for an STi, but 2.5 years into a 4 year lease my car had 68,000. I was going to have to pay around $500/month for 4 years to buy it out. I was just f*cked no matter which way I looked at it. Unfortunately, I really dislike the new Impreza design and decided to try out the Evo. Plus, I didn't want to limit myself to one marque.

If I understand your car info...you have an H6 in your WRX?

Last edited by subaruwrx420; Jan 23, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

having not purchased one yet but about to (IX hopefully) most members on here are pretty happy it seems overall...
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

No regrets, I love this car with a passion. It is expensive to maintain though, so better make sure you have the budget for that.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:52 AM

8500 miles....some rattle sound in the interior, daily 60 miles driver, only regret is going to gas station too often...6-7 times a month. freaking temptation from AMS very very very hard to avoid......
spending too much time in the forum.....

but being able to stop by IKEA and pick up stuff after chasing down 911 in the track...priceless

Quick Reply: To all Evo IX owners