Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What brand of jack stand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand of jack stand

Hi all

I tried searching and could not find what brand of jack stand will fit the factory jack points. The jack stands that I have are too wide and will contact the door sills. Any recomendations?

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

i have craftsman jack stands. and while they don't fit the factory jack points, i use hockey pucks on top of them to make clearence with the door sills, as well as making sure i don't bend or scratch anything.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Did you cut a notch in the pucks or just rest the weld seam on top of them.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i have craftsman jack stands. and while they don't fit the factory jack points, i use hockey pucks on top of them to make clearence with the door sills, as well as making sure i don't bend or scratch anything.
That is scary

Why dont you just put them on the frame rails?
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

From what I have read here those rails (the box section about 8 inches from the factory jack locations) are very thin metal and have been known to crush. I have to admit that I have jacked my car up using this area before with wood between the jack and the car for protection with no ill effect.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use pepboys brand....RED Torin? i think its called...ive never had any problems with them
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daisaw1219
i use pepboys brand....RED Torin? i think its called...ive never had any problems with them
1+
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Account Disabled

Craftsman, the black and yellow ones, 6Klbs. each. $30 a pair. Did a clutch job on 3 pairs.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Lift+Equipment
Old Dec 28, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmoudry
From what I have read here those rails (the box section about 8 inches from the factory jack locations) are very thin metal and have been known to crush. I have to admit that I have jacked my car up using this area before with wood between the jack and the car for protection with no ill effect.
my car was sitting on jack stands for a year (blown up) on the frame rails in the front near the connecting points of the front suspension and on the rear suspension arms with no ill affects.

The dealer lifts your car on the frame rails and with a block of wood on the stand, the car will be just fine on them
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 x 6 ton jack stands. I used this heavy duty Gray tape from Tyco Adhesives, and taped (multiple layers) the part that supports the car. After resting the car ontop of it, the metal frame just sinks into the tape without bending. I put a lot of tape so after first time they are molded to the shape of the car support frame.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone have pics of there evo on jack stands? I am thinking about cutting the outer edges of the cradle off to make sure I clear the door sill.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I cut blocks of wood slotted on one side to fit the jack stand and notched on the other to fit over the body seam. One day one of the wood blocks split and the two halves came flying out from under the car. So, I've been looking for some material, maybe heavy duty plastic, I could cut to this shape.

Anyway, with more and more car makers saying to place the jackstands on the body seam I can't believe somebody isn't making a jackstand for this placement. Hello out there!

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 29, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:12 PM

Hockey pucks are bar none the best. I use them on all of my stands and also on my jack. They are soft enough not to hurt the car, but won't crack or break. I've had the same set of 5 for 3 years and there is hardly a mark on them. I know some people have cut notches in them for the sills, but it seemed overkill to me. As you let the car down the puck just molds into place. I feel very confident under them.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by munkyhead8
Hockey pucks are bar none the best. I use them on all of my stands and also on my jack. They are soft enough not to hurt the car, but won't crack or break. I've had the same set of 5 for 3 years and there is hardly a mark on them. I know some people have cut notches in them for the sills, but it seemed overkill to me. As you let the car down the puck just molds into place. I feel very confident under them.
Okay, I'll bite, what's a hockey puck? Is it a real hockey puck or is this a brand name? If it is a brand name where do you get them? If you mean a real hockey puck do you go to the arena and wait for one to hit you in the forehead?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:54 PM

haha, yes these are the real deal, ready to rob you of teeth. I picked mine up at dicks sporting goods, but you should be able to get them anywhere they sell hockey gear. These were $1 each. It's hard to beat, and certainly worth the protection they offer. If you get em and don't like it, at least your only out a couple bucks.

John

Quick Reply: What brand of jack stand