Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brake Pedal GRIND??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
this could depend on the type of tire you are using

but I assure you most evo/sti drivers experience extensive abs braking

oh and why are you threshold braking in snow?

Sorry dude.....no snow here in FL. I think I have locked them up enought to cause the ABS to kick on once or twice. I also have performance friction 2 piece rotors and EBC reds.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, it could be that your pads are shot. There is a wear indicator that makes a grinding sound when the brakes pads need replacing.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I really don t think its my brakes wearing. I just got the car in November. And it dosent make any type of sound, just feel....
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Where in NM are you? It's probably from the pad/rotor contact, I get it all the time. But, I have pagid blue pads and no shims in right now.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
We just had a foot of snow (well actually minnesota) so I FINALLY got to test my evo on the snow. Everything you are describing sounds exactly when my abs engages.

Sounds normal to me. Rest easy!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Am in wonderful Clovis

I only get this when ever I push on the brakes say in snow or sleet. It feels as if something is grinding when ever I push the brakes in. I'll then release 'em and push 'em back in and it'll go away or it'll happen again?? Super sketchy cause I dont want to ruin anything, and if I'm going at a excessive speed and dont ahve brakes...you can figure it out
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:50 PM

in addition to the abs it could just be grinding a little because the brakes are colder than normal which makes both pad and the rotor harder. I cant remember if u said you had stock pads or not, but more aggressive pads will create a little grinding noise when the brakes are colder. This could add to what you're hearing
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

If its not the ABS, its the pads not being up to an ideal temp for working smoothly. Regardless, it's no big deal either way. If the grinding persisted, it would be another issue.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Its doenst make any type of NOISE, just FEELS as if something is grinding during braking...

And I am totally stock
Old Jan 1, 2007, 02:10 PM

its probably abs like everyone else said; unless the grinding doesn't pulse at a consistent frequency like abs does
Old Jan 1, 2007, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
It IS the ABS. How wouldn't it be? You said yourself that it only happens on snow/sleet/ice. If it was something with the brakes themselves, wouldn't it do it all the time?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

I thought it may be the transfer case or axles not wanting to stop because of the AWD system...

comments?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:27 AM
pao
Evolving Member

Good topic.

I recently found myself in the same situation driving home from work (about 4 am'ish); there were small patches of ice covered with a skim of fresh snow here and there on the road. So, being cautious I set the ACD to snow mode and started driving (stock tires mind you).

Approaching the first stop light I was going about 35mph and started braking lightly at first (no problem here) then as I progressively increased the pressure, to a certain point, the brake pedals would start getting jumpy and you could hear grinding noises...I actually overshoot the stopping line, about 1/4 way into the intersection, because I didn't know what was going on with the car. Same problem all the way home if I tried braking too hard, which is relative in snow, but I managed to get home without touching that jumpy/grinding point too many times.

So here I am seeking answers also.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

It is your ABS. Take it from me I live in North Eastern Ohio from what both pao and o-townFLA are describing is normal. IMHO the ABS is way to touchy and comes on when you don't think it should. In fact I did what other people did and removed the ABS fuse when there is a lot of snow on the roads. I found that way I could stop with no issues at all without the ABS screwing the car up.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Which fuse is it? I may have to take it out and go play some.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal GRIND??