Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will There Be A 6spd USDM Evo??

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2003, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Evo 8 & Crufty Dusty: Where can I pick up a copy of this video? Is it in English? BTW I'm SoCal.

As for the tranny discussion, I too was hoping the 6 speed used in the rest of the world's Evo8s came to the states because I was hoping it would be like the Corvette's tranny with the last (6th) gear being an overdrive. This way, we would have the existing 5 speed with another gear added on to that for lower RPMs while driving on the highway, in-turn helping us save gas.
How is the existing tranny at highway speeds? Does it maintain the RPMs too high?
Don't get me wrong, I love having short gearing like the tranny in my M Roadster. Whenever I need power, I simply drop the pedal and I'm off. But, although that's good for power delivery--at about 3500 RPMs@80mph it's not so good on my wallet.

How is the 6 speed geared anyway? Is it shorter than the existing 5-speed in every gear or does it use the last gear as an overdrive? From reading the posts before mine, I'm assuming it's not the latter.
Old May 24, 2003, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

I think 6 speed is just the trend right now...

^_^
Old May 24, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

A six speed is nothing special only helps on the long trips just like cruise. If you can get by with no cruise then no 6th grear will not be a problem. I would get one only because it would save alittle for me on gas. I'm always on the highways. The extra cost may not even be worth it.
Old May 24, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

If you want to conserve fuel in your Evo, do one thing: DON'T SPEED! It's that simple. Just leave it at 65-70mph for cruising and it will be fine. I don't speed and I get really good gas mileage, except in city, which I have to admit, does suck real bad.
Old May 24, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

your 5th gear is OD... you guys are something else...

if you want 6 speeds that bad go get the STi...
Old May 24, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

In my 6 speed, 6th is definately not an OD. I have a gear for every situation though.

I love my JDM sti 6 speed...just love it. I will never go back to a 5 speed.
Old May 24, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
In my 6 speed, 6th is definately not an OD. I have a gear for every situation though.

I love my JDM sti 6 speed...just love it. I will never go back to a 5 speed.
6 speed is that good..huh?

Anyways, I think 5speed is the best. More power in each gear.
Old May 25, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by ESCALVANTE
Black Evo 8 & Crufty Dusty: Where can I pick up a copy of this video? Is it in English? BTW I'm SoCal.

Got the video from asian market around Berkely. Probably available is ebay.
Old May 25, 2003, 05:53 PM

Just had a thought . Subaru may have placed the 6 speed on their car for fuel economy reasons since displacement is larger. It is a little odd that according to an article i have read, the 6 speed tranny of the 2.5 liter STi is the same as the 2.0 liter Sti. One can assume that the 6 speed tranny is really optimized for the lesser torq motor even though the article did not really emphasize on it. This is just a thought so please, no flames.
Old May 25, 2003, 06:21 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TwiNpnOy84

6 speed is that good..huh?

Anyways, I think 5speed is the best. More power in each gear.
This just doesn't sound rite. More gears usually means more _usable_ power in every gear. That's why trucks or bicycles have so many gears.
I remember old Renault 4 used to have 3 gears and people were saying that 4 is too much, now same story with 6 gears...
Old May 25, 2003, 10:35 PM
ACM
Evolving Member

Yes, 6-speed boxes will go away soon, just like they disappeared from sportbikes after a trendy year or two.

A Civic HF ratio spread is just fine for a 150mph .29 Cd car...

Charles, with a touch of sarcasm showing through.
Old May 25, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well, Subaru's 6 speed is the same STOCK box the is running in every high performance GDB around the world. I have yet to hear of one breaking. It is considered bulletproof by the FHI engineers over in Japan. The Subaru 5 is know in Japan as the "Glass mission". The 6 speed AWD gearbox that is in the STi's is totally overbuilt. It was designed with the guidance of FHI's partner...Porsche...

Just FYI, and the 6 speed is the future my friends, not the past, and not a fad...
Old May 26, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Black_Evo_VIII
Just had a thought . Subaru may have placed the 6 speed on their car for fuel economy reasons since displacement is larger. It is a little odd that according to an article i have read, the 6 speed tranny of the 2.5 liter STi is the same as the 2.0 liter Sti. One can assume that the 6 speed tranny is really optimized for the lesser torq motor even though the article did not really emphasize on it. This is just a thought so please, no flames.
Subaru 6 speed is an actual 6spd instead of a 5spd+OD so it won't benefit as much from the extra gears as would a typical 6spd tranny. But like BADWRX said, its suppose to be a very strong tranny but only time will tell I guess.

But like with any cars, most of the problems typically results from driver errors and not with the car, especially with the tranny so.. it'll be hard to tell..
Old May 26, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by wmcorcor
All the reviewers in the magazines that compared the two actually liked the Mitsu 5-speed better than the Subbie 6-speed saying it felt better and was easier to shift.

I'd rather a short-throw easy shifting 5-speed for now. At best it's about as important to me as Subbie's DCCD...an interesting feature that is not much more than a toy in every day driving.
Having tried both, I'd say the the STi 6 speed is much easier to shift, it is not as bolt-action-like as the Evos, but it is much less prone to mis-shifts. Nice short, smooth throws and a positive "snick" for each shift.

Also, DCCD is like ACD, useful if you know what you are doing. I put mine into fully locked mode today when I drove through a mile of hail covered mountain roads in a bad storm.

TRS