Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I love my dealership!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my dealership!

We all hear so many horror stories about bad dealerships that I wanted to shout out to a good one. I bought my car from Schaumburg Mitsubishi in Illinois and I refuse to bring my car into their service department. They are literally a joke and they are supposed to be one of the best in the area. Since I bought my car I have been bringing it to Max Madsen Mitsubishi in Downer's Grove, IL. I always get my oil changed every
3k miles and I bring it to them. When I used to own my 1995 tsi I always changed my own oil. Since the evo is my first new car I haven't ever changed the oil myself just so I can make sure that most of the oil changes are documented. Schaumburg Mitsubishi wanted $105 just for an oil change! Max Madsen wants $70. When I bring my car into them I bring them my own oil and they charge me $25 for labor and filter. They also give me a free pass to Delta Sonic Car Wash every time I have my Evo serviced their.

Today I brought my car in there to get an oil change and I also had them inspect my brakes and inspect my suspension because of a recent steering wheel shimmer after I had my new tires mounted and car re-aligned. The service manager took my car out for a test drive and came back with a smile on his face. I heard him talking to the secretary behind the counter and he mentioned that the highlight of his day is driving customer's evo. The lady laughed and asked how fast he was going and he said 45, haha. Anyways he immediately calls me up to speak with me and he mentioned that my brakes are fine and infact have about 75% of the life left! Even at 15k miles. He said that he did notice the shimmy in the steering wheel but it was not major and was probably due to one or more of the wheels being out of balance but not the alignment.

The shocking thing that he mentioned to me was that he said my clutch is going! The car had 15k miles on it and it has never been launched or raced at all. The stock clutch on my tsi lasted me 70k before I replaced it. I mentioned this to him and he said that between me and him the stock clutches on the evo's should have been made stronger. I asked him why he thought it was going and he said that he drives alot of evo and mine engages very high. The clutch does not slip so I highly doubt that it's going out. Anyways he did tell me that if I do replace the clutch in the future that I should not go stock but rather aftermarket. I was pretty shocked as this comment was coming from the service manager. I asked him if this would void that warranty and he said not at all as long as the clutch is not overly aggresive. He said that any street disk will be fine. He said that they will even install it for me and the cost is $900 because it's a 10 hour job. I thought that was very cool that they said that and I feel much more comfortable bringing my car to the dealer without feeling that I might get denied. So far my car has a catback exhaust, k&n drop in, and boost gauge. Nothing major but obviously dealer friendly!

+1 for Max Madsen!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

$900 including the clutch itself? Because if they're charging you $900 to install only I would hardly be praising them.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
$900 including the clutch itself? Because if they're charging you $900 to install only I would hardly be praising them.
+1 slowmotion racing in columbus ohio told me it will be 920 dollars incuding the ACT street cltuch I have in it now. But I ended up doing it myself.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the post as it seems tough to find a decent dealer for service in the midwest.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:25 PM

He came back with a smile on his face because he probably just abused the crap out of your car. He also told you you needed a new clutch because he wanted to sell you something. The engagement point on the clutch can be adjusted...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Your dealer sounds like a d*ck. Drives the crap out of your car, and your ok with that? Then tells your the clutch is dead when its an adjustment prb.

Clutch Pedal Adjustment:
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...1f7bb896320fc2
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Engagement on clutch on 8's are always on the high side.
That service manager doesn't know what he's talking about.
If your clutch was going out you personally would know from your previous car.

AMS does clutch jobs for way less than $900. If I remember it was around $500.

Good deal on the oil change though.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I will definitely bring the car to AMS for the install since they are about 15 minutes down the road from me. I just hought it was nice that they said I can put in a street disk without voiding the warranty. Many dealers will void the warranty with any aftermarket type clutch. However I know my clutch is fine, he isn't a mechanic he is just speaking through experience. I think more or less he wanted to give me a heads up. I always thought that evo had self adjusting pedals?

SmikeEvo: Whey would you say that he drove the crap out of my car? I could hear the car the whole time he drove it since he only drove it around the block. He never one got on it, just tested the brakes and checked my over sensitive abs.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

I think he was excited because just driving an Evo normally is about 1000% more exciting than most of the mundain average cars a service manager drives on a daily basis.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
SmikeEvo: Why would you say that he drove the crap out of my car? I could hear the car the whole time he drove it since he only drove it around the block. He never one got on it, just tested the brakes and checked my over sensitive abs.
Just being sure. I know that some SM/Techs beat the crap out of Evos when they get their hands on them. I have seen this first hand when I was at a dealer (not my Evo). The tech was test driving an Evo that was in for service. When he was leaving the dealer he gave it WOT (on prby a cold motor) and basically went sideways out of the dealer. Not cool. Which is also why I stayed at the dealer when I had anything done - I dont trust them.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

ya what the dealer "tells" you about not voiding your warranty doesnt mean isht. The real test is when you acually take it there to have something covered. Then they are like " we can't fix your horn because you have an aftermarket clutch."
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also bought my Evo there (Shaumburg) and after the first oil change, never went back there again.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Max Madsen dealers are pretty friendly in general.
The only Max dealer I would not recommend is the Countryside max.
Bad sales reps and bad service.

I bought my car from Aurora Max and the staff over there were very friendly.
I haven't taken my car there for service there yet since I do most of the maintainance work myself..but I will for 30k miles service.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

clutches shouldnt be anymore than 500 to install. major rip off.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 to Max Madsen service dept, just becase they are friendly and nice to talk to.

Stock clutch can be adjusted.

I got free oil change there on my 05 RS because i bought the car there 2 years back, and i go there sometimes with my moded evo and they dont say anything about aftermarket parts. (i know because there is nothing wrong with the car, work on my car alone anyways) but still i got tons of **** replaced for free from acc. belt to cabin filter, free oil changes, even they wanted to replace oil in Tcase and Trans, but i allready did that, free tire rotation.

Guys, i dont think they guy kick the **** out of his car he was happy because they dont have that many evo's for service , also it is 900 bux job, iT's a dealer what did you expect? every part or labor is expensive at the dealer.

Quick Reply: I love my dealership!