Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WORKS asks-"Is Mitsubishi the only true JDM manufacturer left?"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think jdm now adays is a style more than anything else. the jdm market have a few things the american cars never came with. so in the " my ride is diffrent from anything else out there or the 3 million other cars like mine" its the whole personalization gene kicking in. must be diffrent. must be unique.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by purevibez
i think jdm now adays is a style more than anything else. the jdm market have a few things the american cars never came with. so in the " my ride is diffrent from anything else out there or the 3 million other cars like mine" its the whole personalization gene kicking in. must be diffrent. must be unique.
maybe ... but i think with this new look it will look like every car out there,don't you think?
also looks to me like an Alfa Romeo or Acura etc...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Hands down, the Endeavor is the better vehicle. No time spent advertising it though, it is discouraging to me.
The Endeavor is a great vehicle. I did not mean to imply that something was wrong with the Galant, Endeavor and Eclipse because they are not "JDM" Mitsubishi. However, you have brought up another issue with Mitsubishi which I hope they have solved, or will solve.

They only have so much money, of course, and whatever corporate gets behind to focus on selling, they'll throw all their advertising dollars at it to to boost those sales. It makes sense to an extent, but it is frsutrating when a car gets left out in the cold entirely, which shouldn't happen IMO unless it sells itself. When I was there it was the Diamante. A lot of people here may not like them, but they had their crowd and loyal repeat buyers, but MMCA (and I guess to an extent MMC) refused to advertise the vehicle. AT ALL. The "reason" (we thought) was MMCA had to buy the car from Mitsubishi of Austrailia and didn't have as big a margin of profit selling the car, so they basically cut it off.

I think some of that may be happening to the Endeavor and the Galant. They'll probably have a big marketing blitz for the Outlancer because it is a big product launch, but now that MHI(Mitsubishi Heavy of Japan) controls the company, they may only push the products that come from Japan (the hardest), ie the Lancer, Outlander, and whatever else new may be coming. The Eclipse may still be supported because it has such a strong brand recognition, even though it is so not JDM. Galant and Endeavor are bastards not sold in Japan, so they don't get much love and Raider is a dead man walking.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 10, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting, when I see Mitsubishi I try to see things on the brighter side. Yes it has been a company that has seen some really tough times, but finally and slowly they are starting to turn things around. The year 2006 started slowly for Mitsubishi, but by March they were beginning to see a slight sales increase, in which they kept for pretty much the whole year, with sales in December 2006 being 2.5% over December 2005. I know 2.5% doesn't sound like a lot, but it is definitly a good thing compared to previous years in which Mitsubishi sales only saw declines.

This 2.5% increase is even more impressive in my opinion, because there are cars I still believe Mitsubishi hangs onto that really are dead weight. This includes the Raider (as stated earlier), and also the Galant and Endeavor. I know these are all good cars, but they really are not selling very well, even with more advertising I still doubt they would fare much better. These so called JDM cars that Mitsubishi is concentrating on, have been the cars selling, regardless of if they are JDM or USDM, they sell. The Outlander sells, with sells up well over 100% compared to the previous Outlander model, in fact for December 2006 sales were up an astounding 225% for Outlander compared to December 2005.

I really like the direction that Mitsubishi is heading, I believe they have started to become a smarter company in their money trouble days. I know there are so many cars that people wish they would spend more effort on trying to get more sales from, but seriously they just don't have the cash, and they in turn have focused most of their attention on the cars that are selling. Does that mean give up on the Galant? Of course not, that is why it still around taking up dealer space and not selling, I think the next generation Galant will be stunning and will fall in line with Mitsubishi's new design direction.

2008 Lancer

2008 EVO X

My prediction of what the next generation Eclipse will look similiar to, probably not gonna be turbo.

I expect the next generation Galant to fall in line with the new Mitsubishi design theme. Hey believe me or not, but anything is better than this-
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
My prediction of what the next generation Eclipse will look similiar to, probably not gonna be turbo.
Actually that's the current 4G Eclipse, its a showcar Ralliart version. I imagine the 4Gb may adopt some of its design cues, like mainly losing the corporate triangle. But a 5G Eclipse would be a more radical departure.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that Eclipse is powered by a 4G63 as well...basically an Evo underneath that exterior. (If I recall right)
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:52 PM
Account Disabled

Pics from the show are up at the WORKS gallery:
http://www.worksevo.com/gallery.php