Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WORKS asks-"Is Mitsubishi the only true JDM manufacturer left?"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WORKS asks-"Is Mitsubishi the only true JDM manufacturer left?"

WORKS at North American International Auto Show- Impressions....

This week was the very successful reveal of the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer and the Prototype X, a prototype version of the EVO X (ten). We ask, is Mitsubishi the only true JDM manufacturer left?

After witnessing multiple product launches from other manufacturers that all featured US marketing style approaches with bland, safe, low risk products, Mitsubishi, the underdog, chooses a take-no-prisoners approach.

The presenatation itself was very Japanese, no hired talking heads, just the real people that make the calls and no fluffy marketing language...Hiroshi Harunari- President and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America and the President of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.
Their message in a nutshell:

1. Yes, Mitsubishi is now in the Black

2. Here is our new product- the new Lancer and EVO and it is steeped in our unique motorsports tradition.

3. Most importantly it's manufactured and designed in Japan without compromise for the global market.

No soft SUV's for the burb's here, no cushy aka "active lifestyle" designer brand interiors, no oversized wide interiors for fast food junkies... just the right stuff that stirs our passion for cars!

A return to the Lancer, the ultimate underdog that defeated Porsche's 911 in the 1973 Safari Rally and started the Evolution process.

Car guys/gals and motorsport enthusiasts rejoice....Mitsubishi signals a return to the JDM philosophy and a return to it's roots. Innovative, affordable, high peformance cars that are proud to remain uniquely Japanese. Designed in Japan from the same team responsible for the Evolutions we all know and love, this design team led by Masaki Matsuhara was not afraid to take risks and choose a more discriminating path. With Prototype X featuring it's menacing front end to a fully functional rear diffuser, the look is unique, uncompromising, stylish, and most of all, purposeful. Where most manufacturers seem to evolve only in girth, price and softer suspension...the Lancer remains taught, cut and ready to do battle.

The Lancer and Prototype-X reveal also marked a new marketing direction for Mitsubishi in North America, a focus on the company's rich motorsport heritage. With fantastic video of Mitsubishi's experience in the Dakar-Rally, WRC, and the Baja-1000, the footage was captivating. From Tommi Makinen (EVO 6) to David Higgins and Lauchlin O'Sullivan (EVO 7/8) to Dan Fresh (Raider) defeating the big budget teams, the motorsport focus was a breath of fresh air for long time Mitsu-fans. If that wasn't enough... the 1973 first generation Lancer championed by Joginder Singh in the Safari Rally was on display front and center. Super-sweet! As a result, the launch at 1:55pm today was one of the most well attended press conferences of the entire Auto Show. Where most press conferences seemed to thin out midway through their presentations, the Mitsubishi Motors launch gained momentum and all attendees rushed the Lancer and Prototype X as soon as they could.

The energy was electric and very positive for hours after the presentation. We think this optimism will last for years with the "new" Mitsubishi.

For more pics check out:
www.worksmitsu.com
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed. But I do find it funny that Mitsubishi is considered to be "true JDM" when their premiere car sports:

Brembo brakes
Recaro seats
BBS wheels
Momo steering wheel

Plus Ralliart has a number of British engineers that contribute to the Evo's development, same as how Prodrive's Brit engineers contribute to the STI.

IMO the Evo is the finest European sports sedan ever built by the Japanese.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds promising.

Aren't they the one's that claim the best backed cars?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

No soft SUV's for the burb's here, no cushy aka "active lifestyle" designer brand interiors, no oversized wide interiors for fast food junkies
Not sure I agree with any of that. The outlander is pretty soft and the X has one of the most "designer" interiors I've seen.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
Agreed. But I do find it funny that Mitsubishi is considered to be "true JDM" when their premiere car sports:

Brembo brakes
Recaro seats
BBS wheels
Momo steering wheel

Plus Ralliart has a number of British engineers that contribute to the Evo's development, same as how Prodrive's Brit engineers contribute to the STI.

IMO the Evo is the finest European sports sedan ever built by the Japanese.
But don't Honda Type R's sport Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, etc etc too? The bulk of the car's development is still with Mitsubishi, but even the Japanese recognize Brembo as the leader in braking technology.

Overseas racing efforts like WRC and Formula One, have different sponsors, suppliers etc from all over the world.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardly. As vague as the title question is (what *is* JDM? what is *true* JDM? how has anyone veered from it? if you can even define JDM, can you find specific factors of JDM that have and have not changed over the years?), who is going to base their supposed answer to it on one single auto show, where the focus is on selling the sizzle (aka prototypes)?

Name a Mitsu out there that you would honestly spend your money on, outside of the Lancer Evolution. New, I mean (so no Galant VR4's or 1g Eclipses). It's great that Mitsu is trying to turn their game around, but if being a struggling auto-maker who does not have one attractive offering in it's entire line-up outside of a niche product aimed at an EXTREMELY limited target audience is what it means to be JDM, then I guess Honda and Toyota are no longer JDM. Not a bad thing IMO.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The question is: Is JDM still where "it's" at or is "it" somewhere else?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Noob4life
Hardly. As vague as the title question is (what *is* JDM? what is *true* JDM? how has anyone veered from it? if you can even define JDM, can you find specific factors of JDM that have and have not changed over the years?), who is going to base their supposed answer to it on one single auto show, where the focus is on selling the sizzle (aka prototypes)?

Name a Mitsu out there that you would honestly spend your money on, outside of the Lancer Evolution.
I would say up until now the Outlander, Eclipse, Galant were slanted towards the American market. But the new Outlander is very JDM in its design. So was the Montero, but its gone now.

The next Galant will be very important because it too will be a global car. The Japanese do not sell our style of Galant, and hopefully the 10G will be JDM as well.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 10, 2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:10 PM

*Cough* Chrysler Evolution X *Cough*

Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FluxXxSTi

Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

*looks at username*
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
Bro

Originally Posted by FluxXxSTi

Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
Account Disabled

Defining JDM is in the eyes of the beholder. For me personally, it usually means the following:innovative, affordable, high peformance cars that are proud to remain uniquely Japanese. Designed in Japan with the Japanese lifestyle in mind also seems to be a core value.

As a Mitsu follower for the past several years, I was commenting on the obvious change in direction versus previous model launches that I've attended the last 3 years. Most importantly, as a motorsport enthusiast, the focus on motorsports is
what I'm most excited about.

Talk to y'all later, Kirk
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Chrysler has nothing to do with the EVO X.

My wife and I just went and test drove the Outlander, we waited months to buy a new car, waiting on the Outlander. She drove, I rode. I told her, you pick what you want this time, I'll shut up. She drove it, I thought, this thing isn't that hot. We get back to the dealer and I tell her, "Do me a favor, drive the Endeavor again and make sure you want the Outlander." So we get in the Endeavor and we don't make it 50 feet and she stops, says, "Yes, this is the one." She had test drove it a few months earlier.

Hands down, the Endeavor is the better vehicle. No time spent advertising it though, it is discouraging to me. It's fast, feels like it will actually tow an open trailer with an EVO on it. More room. I love it, I'd buy another one for myself to drive if I could afford it.

I'll tell you something else, the Eclipse V6 is a hot car. We've got one and it's really a great car. NOT an EVO my any means. On our dyno though it makes more power to the wheels than any stock EVO I have ever had on it. 228 whp. Great torque, instant repsonse. Comfortable, good sound system, corners good. NOT an EVO Still a great car to drive. 27+mpg with mixed city/highway driving. With our intake and exhaust on it it sounds wicked.

Mitsubishi has some great stuff.

Can't wait for the new EVO X and some other stuff coming down the line.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
how about ; GMC /saab /subaru/
stock evo 9 with only 228 whp ....i don't know about that.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 10, 2007 at 06:23 PM.