Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

03 ignition/starting problem!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 ignition/starting problem!?!

i have a stock 03 evo8 with 56,ooo miles and as of jan 1st this happened...
went out to start car and wouldnt start just crank crank crank. finally after relays clicking and connecting and reconnecting the battery it ramdomly started now. drove like 2 miles home went to shut car off and turned the key off and pulled it out but the car stayed running for about 10 seconds on its own!..no turbo timerinstalled... it was real choppy when it was trying to quit but it finally choked and quit... Now all the dash indicator lights, milage etc stay on with the key off and removed. if you disconnect the battery everything shuts off and the you reconnect battery with key still out of ignition and all the indicator lights mileage etc. comes on as soon as you reconnect the battery. the catch is if you wait to long after you reconnect the battery the car will not start just crank crank. at the time of the car not starting the green security light blinks and the car will not start unless you go disconnect the battery and reconnect and start the car within about 5-10secs otherwise it wont start and the security light blinks and car wont start. if you try starting with in the 5-10 secs after reconnecting the battery the car starts fine but when you try to turn it off the car wants to stay running and eventually stumbles and quits. So my thinking was ignition switch so i ordered the part from the dealer and that didnt fix anything. i an dumbfounded and have no other options than some one elses expertise . so if you have any thoughts i would greatly appreciate it. its been almost two weeks and i cant figure the prob out. thanks
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it could be many things... spark, fuel and compression= running engine. if all these are ok, then i would say it is a computer/short. on saturns when the body control module goes bad then the security light will flash and car will act funny and also not start. i'm not sure how many computers the evo has though....=(. is the check engine light on?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your problem really does sounds like a fuel related issue like its starving for fuel. If you can check fuel pressure do it and the relays to the fuel pump and related fuses as well.

I had an old camaro perform this stunt ended up being a fuel relay was unplugged and somehow wiggled itself loose...

Nothing certain but its somewhere to start perhaps?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

1. Did you buy it new?
2. Did you get a new key?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:12 PM

no CEL... bought it used with only one key, i have put 3k miles on so far and this prob just started. there are no symptons of any problem once car is started. drives fine everything works doesnt hiccup or anything when driving...